PDA

View Full Version : Plan A Or Plan B

bala_murali
27th Jul 2010, 20:17
hi there guys
I joined this forum about 7 months back and after a long time it is nice to see some optimistic replies.
I did read many post in this thread and it gave me alot of hope .
I am basically in the same boat as many people here . Always wanted to be a pilot since my childhood. I am from India.i just turned 25 years this week back. I have done my bachelors degree in Electrical and electronics engineering and have worked i dell computers for 2 years (P.S- i hate my job )I have two plans as of now . I did do my research regarding pilot training for many months .But nothing is going my way . though of taking a educational loan to do my flight training in Canada .But from speaking to people both here and some people i came to know who are in the aviation field i came to a conclusion there there is noway i could end up with a job as a pilot at the end of my training in order to pay up my loans .So here is my plan :

PLAN A- AIRCRAFT MAINTENANCE ENGINEERING
To do a course in Ame which i am very much interested in also .But from what i researched there is no masters degree in AME. There is diploma or Bsc(hons). My friends and well wishers told me its would be idiotic to do a diploma course and after finishing my Bachelors degree. But screw them i am not looking for fame or a name that a masters degree can give me here. i want to be in the field that i am interested (Aviation).

Plan B-. MASTERS IN AVIATION MANAGEMENT
I heard many people tell that in aviation everything is about networking. I did have some subjects regarding management in my last year of engineering and they were pretty interesting too. Many did advice me that this would be a better path to take compared a AME's job since geting a license as an AME takes another 2 years after working as a appearance.And also job oppurtunities of aviation management is much higher when compared to AME( Dont know if that true !!:ooh:).And people

At the end i want to become a pilot . I have cleared my class2 and class 1 medicals.The problem is i would be in a huge debt if i don get a job as a pilot once i complete my training. Both PLAN A AND PLAN B seemed to much more affordable than pilot training. I want to study in the field of aviation , get a job in aviation field collect some contact on the way if possible ,slowly but steadily do my pilot training while working.i do know it is kinda of a long shot but its definitely better than living a safe life wondering WHAT if ?? all the time .:confused:
From your experience tell me which would be a better path to take to achieve my dream (to be an commercial aviator)..PLAN A OR PLAN B. .Hope your suggestion would lead a way for me!.
And guys when I HIT my dream shot THE BEERS ON ME :ok::ok::ok: Thanks a million for your time ..Cheers .

3 Phase
28th Jul 2010, 16:33
Hello Bala,

I think quite a number of replies you will get to your post will be quite disheartening as many people in the aviation industry at the moment are suffering. Obviously depending on who you talk to you will receive a different opinion and outlook on the industry at the moment but you shouldn't let that put you off in the way of your ambitions or dreams. The trouble I think that you will have the most is the fact that you want to be a pilot. Perhaps it would be better if you focused on your true ambition?

With regards to Aircraft Maintenance, it is definitely not an easy option. Obviously it depends on where you want to be in this field. With regards to hands on aircraft work, I am quite sure many will tell you that the EASA or FAA licence is the way to go. There are many different paths that can be taken to achieve this but all encounter some mandatory requirements which include the modular exams. I am sure with the level of aptitude you have, you certainly would not have a problem with the examination requirements. This isn't a cheap option either and I am quite sure you would have to invest somewhat a great deal of money. Of course the requirements also state that you must have physical maintenance experience in which 5 years is required for a "self starter" or if you attend a Part 147 approved course, you only require 2 years in a Part 145 maintenance organisation. This is really where I think you will have the trouble. Most organisations seem to be firing and not hiring at the moment. With little experience it could certainly be a risk for the company. Also with the fact that there are many well experience and already licenced individuals out on the circuit at the moment, employment may be said to be unlikely. I know many new starters out there having to look elsewhere because the jobs are just not available at the moment. For more information on licensing, have a look at the ELGD on the CAA's website. That will give you a better understanding of the requirements.

As for the management side, I don't think I could comment. I don't have any experience myself in this field so therefore me trying to provide advice would effectively be worthless. Perhaps a more seasoned professional could advise you better on the options available.

Either way, it does not change the fact that your ambition is to become a pilot. If it was me in your shoes, I would carefully consider that you would have to invest a large amount of money and also spend many years training with no guarantee for success at the end of it. This is obviously very similar for a pilot. So given the choice, why not take the one you really want?

This is all just my opinion, feel free to comment. :)

WILCO.XMG
28th Jul 2010, 18:34
Man i'm in the same boat. But at the end of the day i don't want to go into any career (Pilot) which will leave me and my family with a great amount of debt and a burden.

The question you need to ask yourself is it worth spending 80-100 Thousand pounds!! Then not even having a job at the end, and probably flying for low cost carriers or cargo that you'll not get great pay, great hours or anything. No career is worth that.. especially in the current climate where routes are being trimmed.

May the force be with you and i hope you are happy with whatever choice you take.

bala_murali
29th Jul 2010, 19:44
HI there 3 phase .
This is the first time in life i am considering a Plan B .Usually when think of something i just go for it. I took my mind of pilot training as many said not risky but impossible to get a job unless i go JAR course in a good flight academy. Almost everybody in India seemed to be having a FAA license.
Secondly the cost in AME is not cheap. The course cost in Kingston university and Glamorgan is 10650 pounds per year and it takes 3 years including HONS degree. These universities are reputed and do assist in placement. I repeat the word assist not guarantee. That is not the case in pilot training . it cost around 45000 USD for a FAA CPL ,that is in a school that you have not even heard of . In reputed institution like FLIGHT SAFETY it cost around 75000 USD. Another thing is an AME is allowed to work part time legally by pilot training is considered as vocational study and there is no part time work allowed . this further more increases the burden.Personally i think AME"s and aviation management guys have a better shot at job than considering a pilot:sad:? Do let me know if i am wrong

I very well understand that any job in aviation today is risky .I am taking a calculated risk . i know its a long shot . when i reach my 32 -33 ( The age that i would have completed my pilot training slowly but surely ) when i go for an interview for a flight instructor's or regional airline . i want my resume to reflect something that is related to being a pilot,In this case AME or master in aviation management which would be much better jumping to aviation at that age as computer technician. i have read some success who have become pilot at the age of 45 . i am relegated to follow their foot steps. I can see i am losing the battle . hoping to win the war someday. :)
PEOPLE WHO ARE AME PILOTS AND PILOTS WHO HAVE USED NON TRADITIONAL WAYS EVEN THOUGH IT TAKES A LONG TIME TO ACHIEVE ONCE GOAL . PLEASE DO SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS WITH US. :O

itsresidualmate
30th Jul 2010, 13:47
I, like most engineers, got into aviation because I liked aircraft and I enjoy tinkering with things. I actually enjoy diagnosing defects, it's like puzzle solving. I think most LAEs would agree with that. I also enjoy knowing more about how an aircraft works than any other non-engineering person at the airport. I'm not sure if you'll be happy in this field as you don't seem to have a passion for it. Even the most jaded LAE who can't wait to leave aviation will get involved voluntarily in a technical discussion about a defect, I don't think you've got that sort of interest in it.
I understand you want to be a pilot, but why go for engineering as 2nd choice? They're completely different professions. Wouldn't you be better off training as a dentist or stay in the IT field to make the money to become a pilot?

3 Phase
30th Jul 2010, 19:15
I would be rather cautious about even the word "assist". It is quite a vague term. In my experience, I have heard many stories of "assisting" basically being given a list of companies that you probably already knew about and told to call them. Which obviously you would do anyway! So just do not be convinced by the Universities marketing strategy. I cannot say this is true for all Universities but I do know a few in particular where this is the case.

As for training, either option is expensive. The pilot training is even more so. But I would personally carefully consider itsresidualmate's suggestions. Save the money for training and pilot as a hobby. With a steady, dependable and reliable income where you can afford a decent quality of life and be able to afford your favourite hobby which is flying would be the lifestyle everyone would want!

At the end of the day though, it doesn't matter what anyone says. Your always going to want to follow your dreams and ambitions. If everyone followed advice telling them not to do things, how boring would life turn out? It's why we have these dreams and ambitions in the first place.

bala_murali
31st Jul 2010, 12:47
Hi there itsresidualmate

That a very good question that you asked me. This is where most people here mistake me . Look a part of what you told is right .My dream was to become a pilot one day. I worked for dell computers as a SR hardware technical support executive. My job is mainly about striping the system to the core and finding the fault part and fixing it. This is the part of my work i like. This has what has kept me in the job for the past 2 years.Even as a kid i rip things apart and put things back( well most of the time ).
As an engineer you are interested of how engines work. Why cant i be interested in the same way as a pilot.
The words passionate and interested are very closely related. i still stand my ground,i cant say i am passionate to be an AME. i consider an AME's job is the second best job in the world. I am very dedicated to what i do . i have the confidence that i would make a good Ame . I do love what you guys do?

Look by the time i save some the cash for my pilot training and finish my training i would be around my 32- 33's .Consider yourself as a employer, will you consider a dentist with a CPL at his 30 or an AME . when i go for the interview i want my resume's reflection be aviation . Many AMEs have become pilots from what i have read .

I have to draw the line somewhere. i got to take a decision.I making a choice which i am interested in and something very closely related to being a pilot compared to anyother job in aviation ..
Would love to know your views guys ..keep me posted .your time is much appreciated .. thanks

bala_murali
31st Jul 2010, 13:07
Hi there 3 phase

Nice to hear from you again . Would like to know your suggestion of the list of universities that you think would be the Best for AME training .
The best thing in life is to get paid for what you would love to do . what you told is right i can settle for a safe job and keep flying hobby.i have thought of it many times . Something in it doesn't seem to be right. where i want to end up finally is on the AIRBUS 330's and 380's . And if i am really lucky i would love to fly the concorde if they bring it back to service . I want to be a professional aviator. Compete with the best pilot in the business.I dont care if i am going to be single for the rest of my life.
What you told about dreams and ambition are so true 3 phase . i still dont know how i am gono become a pilot . but i just know i will become one some day.:)Thanks for your time 3 phase . Do me be posted bro. :cool: