PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Registrations

avionic type
27th Jul 2010, 15:03
Ladies and Gents, Though not an Aircraft spotter I,m wondering what the registrations will be once the G-???? are used up Ive noticed that some of B.A.aircraft are in the G-ZZZ range and are obviously "out of sequence " but perhaps some of you may know what the C.A.A. has in mind ? :O

tristar 500
27th Jul 2010, 15:11
Perhaps they will just start again G-AAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tristar 500

treadigraph
27th Jul 2010, 15:14
Think it will be many years yet before the Powers that Be have to make that decision - we're only somewhere in the G-C*** sequence after seven or eight decades, and in spite of the BGA gliders migrating to a "proper" identity in the last several years.

purplehelmet
27th Jul 2010, 19:15
often wondered how the register works.i.e. say i bought my own aircraft (i wish) do the caa issue the next available reg in sequence?
or could i choose the reg i wanted?
is it like the dvla reg system where certain reg's cost more?

Blink182
27th Jul 2010, 20:27
To register an aircraft with the CAA you can take a registration from the next current sequence......... say G-CZAA to G-CZAZ, anything that has not been already taken or rude/offensive. Think the cost is about £60.
Alternatively , you can go for out of sequence, again if not already taken or rude etc..... think the cost is then £200 ish.
If a/c already registered in UK , you cannot re-register to latest registrations, i.e. you have to go out of sequence in this case.

astir 8
28th Jul 2010, 07:35
If my ancient maths O level is correct, then after deleting Q which is not used (are then any others?) but without deleting the rude words then the four letter sequence would have 27 to the power four permutations which equals about 530 000 individual registrations.

I suspect we've a way to go yet!:ok::ok:

Rhys S. Negative
28th Jul 2010, 15:49
Astir,

I reckon your maths is correct but your alphabet is wrong! As you correctly say, Q isn't used which leaves 25 letters. 25^4 = 390,625.

Rhys.

treadigraph
28th Jul 2010, 16:12
Don't know if it still holds true, but when I woz a spotter in the 70s/80s, each second letter seemed to take roughly a year to use up: G-BE** 1977, BF** 1978, BG** 1979 and so on.

astir 8
29th Jul 2010, 08:00
Rhys

not one of my best days was it? Doh!:sad:

avionic type
1st Aug 2010, 00:24
Thank you all ladies and gentlemen for all your answers didn't realise we were only on the G-Cs tells you how long I've been out of the aviation business, [Where have the years gone?] :uhoh::uhoh::uhoh:

PaperTiger
4th Aug 2010, 15:09
25 letters. 25^4 = 390,625For the sake of pedantry it's just a bit fewer than that. The G-AUxx series was used for Australia and G-CAxx for Canada. I understand these will not be re-issued although G-AUTO and G-CALL seem to have slipped through.