PDA

View Full Version : Taking Spectacles to the medical renewal

tb10er
27th Jul 2010, 14:56
My medical is coming up and, for the first time, I will be wearing specs (only occassionally for reading).

I seem to recall that it is necessary to carry a spare pair of specs in the aircraft, if so, do I need to take a spare pair with me to the medical?

Thanks

Pace
28th Jul 2010, 22:34
TB10er

I was told I had to have specs as my eyesight was the equavalent of boots mildest reading glasses and I hated wearing specs so I had them tinted to look like sunglasses!

With brown tint I was asked to do the colour test which I failed miserably much to my amazement.

Until it dawned on me that with the best colour vision possible looking at yellow through blue glasses would show green etc. Using brown tint would distort the colours!

My protests were greeted with the fact that all the vision tests must be done with prescription lenses.

I presume from that that pilots with excellent vision and colour perception are illegal flying sporting their latest set of trendy RayBans.

Dont think you have to have both sets with you?

Pace

Bob the Doc
29th Jul 2010, 08:25
The medical examiner will want to make sure that your corrected vision is adequate. The spare pair is in case one is lost or broken. As long as your vision is the same with both then you should not need to bring both with you. I have about 5 pairs of glasses of various ages and also wear contact lenses. I wouldn't expect to bring them all to an appointment!

JTN
29th Jul 2010, 12:24
Never been asked to produce a second pair at medical. Don't have my docs with me right now, but from memory the certificate says "valid only with VDL" and the second pair requirement is completely separate. I keep a cheap second pair permanently in the flight bag, just in case of ramp check!