PDA

View Full Version : What's happening here?

Nicholas49
27th Jul 2010, 12:18
Hi

Could someone in-the-know tell me what's happening here (http://www.airplane-pictures.net/image10858.html)? Is this a cross-wind landing or just a gusty take-off? (There's some disagreement in the comments below the picture). Also, what is the steam/smoke behind?

Thanks,
Nick

L4key
27th Jul 2010, 13:08
Looks in take off dress to me. Great pic.

ManofMan
27th Jul 2010, 13:08
Its taking off with what looks like a bit of wind....the"smoke/steam" behind the aircraft is the water being blown off the runway by the thrust of the engines.

WindSheer
28th Jul 2010, 10:16
Yes.

Flap setting, runway remaining, attitude and high thrust.........Take Off..:ok:

Callsign Kilo
28th Jul 2010, 10:52
I believe this is Prestwick's RW03/21. It is short (1800m) and obviously wet. It will require a higher thrust setting for take off (hence the spray). I would imagine the wind on the day (often very gusty at PIK) has put the main RW13/31 out of crosswind limitations (possibly for a wet runway departure). Interesting because RW21 requires a Captain's only landing as part of Ryanair operations with an SRA or NDB being the only approach available in IMC conditions.

Great photograph by the way.

Nicholas49
28th Jul 2010, 14:41
Thanks for the explanation guys.

Yes, it's a great photo. The lense makes the runway look about 100m long!

Callsign Kilo - is there such a thing as a captain's-only take-off for short runways /cross-wind restrictions?

Nick

Callsign Kilo
29th Jul 2010, 10:41
Only place I recall having a Captain Only Take off, and landing for that matter, is Memmingen (EDJA/FMM). This is due to runway width rather than length. It is 30m wide, were as a standard runway is 45m. It is therefore limited by crosswind. I can't remember the exact figures as I don't have access to the airfield brief, however it is obviously well below the standard figures presented in the Ops manual.

The issue with Prestwick and RW21 is a combination of factors. More so to do with the fact that it is a steeper approach (3.5 degrees) to a shorter runway which carries some terrain issues in the early part. To be honest, I think this restriction has been carried on from the days of the 737-200 and has simply remained. Other destinations with short runways (such as Belfast City, Leeds Bradford etc) have no such restrictions; however every approach is at the discretion of the Captain. FOs with less time on type are restricted to crosswinds of 15kts when the crosswind is less than 2/3 limiting (amongst other factors such as contamination, cloudbase, visibility etc).

Hope that helps :)

Skipness One Echo
29th Jul 2010, 12:50
Doesn't the B737-200 have a better short field landing perfromance with those clamshell type reverse thusters?

Midland 331
29th Jul 2010, 16:01
Nice shot!

Not unlike this one:-

Photos: McDonnell Douglas DC-8-62H(F) Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/African-International-Airways/McDonnell-Douglas-DC-8-62H(F)/0998086/M/)

r