PDA

View Full Version : Link vs the media

NOTOT
27th Jul 2010, 05:57
I find the media and co very hypocritical of certain happenings in aviation. Maybe RF has enemies at Enews, but when other airlines have mishaps it hardly makes the news! Enews lambasted Airlink for months over their incidence last year, yet Sax goes under the radar the hole time. From what I gather at JACDEC - Current News (http://www.jacdec.de/news/news.htm) Sax has settled the score with incidence vs Link, maybe more money should pass under the table or is it a marketing ploy by Link? Suppose some people see any publicity as good...................!:ugh:

DASHER 8
27th Jul 2010, 12:35
There will always be incidents in aviation.
I guess it's how they are handled and ultimately what an investigation determines is the cause of said incident that determines how the media and the public react to the incident.

:ok:

Q4NVS
27th Jul 2010, 14:00
...here we go again...:}

nugpot
27th Jul 2010, 15:09
I take it this is what your link pointed at?

DATE: 16.07.2010 LOCAL TIME: - LOCATION: Kimberly Airport (FAKM) COUNTRY: South Africa
AIRLINE: SA Express TYPE: DHC-8-300 REGISTRATION: ZS-NLY C/N: 352 AGE: 16 y + 4 m
OPERATION: DSP FLIGHT No.: SA 1107 FROM: Johannesburg TO: Kimberly VIA: -
OCCUPANTS:
PAX: - CREW: -
FATALITIES:
PAX: 0 CREW: 0 OTHER: 0
INJURIES:
PAX: 0 CREW: 0 OTHER: 0
DAMAGE TO AIRCRAFT: substantial /
damaged beyond repair
Moments after touchdown on runway 20, the nosegear hit an aardvark. The impact forced the nosegear backwards into the gear bay and gear dors scraped the runway surface before it pilots were ble to stop the aircraft on the centreline. The airport was closed until the Dash 8 was removed. The amount of damage it likely to have exceeded economical repair.

There does seem to be a slight difference between this and shutting down the wrong motor ............

Q4NVS
27th Jul 2010, 16:11
...and when the Fleet Replacement Program :D gets into full swing, this Dash 8 will be converted into an Aviators Viewing Deck in Kimberley.

Okay not quite, but that is my proposal...

:}

NOTOT
27th Jul 2010, 16:21
At the time the media was having their frenzy on Link they didn't know what had caused the accident in Durban. If u go back on the website, you will find more than the mentioned incident, lots more, even two events that took place in December of last year(same time as Links runway boo-boo) that never even got mentioned, an incident is an incident, doesn't matter how it got there or what the outcome was or do your incident forms look different to mine???? Facts PLEASE!:ugh:

DASHER 8
27th Jul 2010, 17:05
SAX has had many incidents and will continue to have more in the future. Of that there is no doubt, but as i stated before it's really about what caused the problem and how it was handled, that determines how the aviation community and the public in general percieve an operator.

nugpot
27th Jul 2010, 17:41
Facts PLEASE!

OK NOTOT, I'll bite.

I agree that SAX have had incidents, even some at the same time that Link had 3 ACCIDENTS and 1 NEAR-ACCIDENT (losing 4 engines on a four-engined aircraft (twice)).

At the time the media was having their frenzy on Link they didn't know what had caused the accident in Durban.

I beg to differ. From the first report of the DUR accident everyone asked why an empty J41 could not climb away after an engine failure. This focused the media's attention (plus the fact that the a/c pranged next to a school). They might not have "known", but there was certainly enough pointers.

Before the DUR accident, Airlink was treated the same way as SAX. The 146 through the wall at ORTIA barely got a mention. Then a prang next to a public school and on a public road, followed by another prang which ended up on a public road. Are you surprised that it made the news. All those nice photographs of bent metal.

If anything is to be learned here, it is to keep your accidents within the confines of the airport where journalists and their photographers can't go.

nugpot
28th Jul 2010, 10:53
NOTOT,

I was not trying to make out that SAX is better than Link. Your initial post on the other hand seemed to say that the media had an unjust approach to reporting Airlink mishaps while there was another airline more deserving of their hysteria. I was merely pointing out the facts which made the Airlink accidents become big news. I stand by my earlier posts.

As for the quotes - I only quoted you .. ??

beechbum
29th Jul 2010, 10:18
Notottie....mmmm makes me wonder! Do you have a grudge against SAX as a whole or hole as you put it that you feel that Link is being unfairly judged and crticised by the media? In the bigger scheme of things and unfortunately so, maybe these incidents you refer to and the media attention it received is what the airline needed in order to get it's house re aligned.
Media whether right or wrong are necessary evils and can destroy a business, person, ego...you name i,t but to have a go at SAX........

NOTOT
30th Jul 2010, 16:03
Looks like you guys are protecting your poor feeder airline, shame, I smell fear, panic, shame mixed in with aggression and a dab of hate!! Learn to read, my original post clearly states "other airlines", Sax just happen to be the latest incident victim! The link above is my only source of accident/incident info and the good old BBC World News, please get off your high horses and face facts!!!!:ugh:

nugpot
30th Jul 2010, 17:17
Learn to read, my original post clearly states "other airlines", Sax just happen to be

Wow it does - and then you indicate your real target by saying:
..yet Sax goes under the radar the hole time. From what I gather at JACDEC - Current News Sax has settled the score with incidence vs Link..

Combined with this from a previous thread:
Looks like RF has a deal with CarteBlanche and SAX a deal with everybody, quite a few incidents that went under the radar with SAX

I can't help that you went to work for Airlink. Pucker up - its not that bad.

DASHER 8
31st Jul 2010, 06:54
I hardly think " fear, shame, panic " are foremost on most SAX employees minds right now as we recently got fairly sustantial bonuses from our profit share scheme (yes our state run airline is making money) , succesfully carried all the soccer teams all over SA as the " Official Carrier ", and are about to embark on a fairly substantial fleet renewal and expansion program. Plenty of challenges ahead, but they are ones i/we look forward to. ( minimizing incidents as we grow being one )
Notot if u are unhappy at Link then SAA, SAX, Emmirates etc are all recruiting right now, so do something about your situation or re-direct your focus to your current employer and make it a place you are proud of and an employer you want to work for.

fsx
31st Jul 2010, 09:04
I believe the German soccer team did not want to fly in the Q400. Airlink did some of the flights.

transducer
31st Jul 2010, 17:30
I believe the German soccer team did not want to fly in the Q400. Airlink did some of the flights.

Wow fsx, that is one substantial post. The SAX guys have a way of standing together. Just ask Management when they have to deal with the SAXPA union!! Which is a good working relationship most of the time. And after that the company still makes a profit.

DASHER 8
1st Aug 2010, 08:28
Well the Germans definately did fly in the Q-400.
There was a hell of a lot of charter flying going on at one point as well as the schedule, with all the team movements and only the 2 Q-400's and the 2 CRJ 700's were doing it all so it could well just have been an aircraft availability issue.
I Can't see that they would have been unhappy with an RJ ?
Fifa also prescribed the aircraft had to be younger than 10yrs old and at least 70 seats.
We did use various aircraft on our sched flights and for the odd press contingent but i think only the 2 RJ,s and the 400's flew the teams as per Fifa requirements

Q4NVS
1st Aug 2010, 08:40
...Airlink did some of the flights.

Sure it was just another conspiracy to get Airlink in the Media :}

dash431
2nd Aug 2010, 13:27
Airlink got bad press because it had questionable standards. This was discovered after a very sad and tragic accident, that was followed by further unfortunate occurences. And that, unfortunately for link, is like a red cape waved at a moderately bemused pamplonan bull (Read World Media). Furthermore, it doesnt seem to be a very pleasant airline to work for too. Havent met ONE pilot that is happy or has ANYTHING good to say about the airline. And that includes the sub 1000 hr JFO's. Not even pleasant as a stepping stone. I feel for the old hands there.

As for the Express incidents/accidents, how many involved pilot error, or inadequacies in SOP's? ............ Just a thought.;)

DeHoeker
4th Aug 2010, 17:02
Hi NOTOT, maybe you should just change your thread title to Link vs SAX. As an outsider it is pretty obvious where you're going with this. Good luck with the job hunting;)