PDA

View Full Version : Hubbell Utility socket, found in Galleys

TheDrop
26th Jul 2010, 19:02
Hubbell Utility socket, found in Galleys - carries 115VAC 400Hz. But where does one find a converter, or plug which fits?

Think Hubbell First (http://www.hubbell.com) lists many different plugs but most look like normal mains types.

gas path
26th Jul 2010, 19:53
...................they use them on their hoovers and might have a spare one lying around.
Failing that there's always sidecutters!:E:E

TheDrop
26th Jul 2010, 20:02
Just for powering a laptop when occasionally deadheading.

If this is aviation grade stuff, I imagine it would cost dearly! Too bad my old fits-it-all converter does not fit this plug. Tried the one in the washroom, and it was disconnected (converted freighter ...)

FE Hoppy
26th Jul 2010, 21:13
Good luck with the 400Hz mate.

ant1
26th Jul 2010, 22:19
I've seen colleagues plug their laptops to the cockpit outlet and 400Hz didn't seem to be an issue.

DBate
27th Jul 2010, 05:50
I've seen colleagues plug their laptops to the cockpit outlet and 400Hz didn't seem to be an issue.

It isn't. I regulary charge different electronic devices using the 400Hz power outlet on board. Works perfectly, haven't had any problems yet. But only when on the ground - company policy.

FE Hoppy
27th Jul 2010, 06:36
Using 400Hz through a tru rated for 50-60 Hz will result in low output voltage and/or high tru temperature. One is bad for your devices battery the other is bad for your tru(power supply).

There is a reason they put the frequency range on the back of power transformers.

ant1
27th Jul 2010, 16:42
DBAte: of course (really) ;)

FE Hoppy: I'll let the computer addicts know.

barit1
29th Jul 2010, 01:04
During my flt ops engr career, I regularly charged my TI-58C handheld (I'm dating myself...) using a 400hz source near the jumpseat. The charger was a simple transformer-rectifier device, and in general, transformers designed for 50-60 hz are perfectly happy (cooler than normal) on 400hz.

The converse IS NOT TRUE - there's not enough iron in a 400hz transformer to permit it to run at lower frequency. 400 hz transformers (& motors, generators, etc), because of their lighter weight, are popular in aircraft.

The switching-type power device for a laptop first rectifies the incoming AC to DC to drive the switching semiconductors. It should not matter what the power frequency is; 400 should be as good (or better) than 50-60 hz.

FE Hoppy
29th Jul 2010, 12:27
And yet the option to have pc power outlets fitted in the cockpit costs tens of thousands of $ :ugh: