PDA

View Full Version : New Virgin Atlantic Paint Job

mantug01
26th Jul 2010, 16:50
I've just seen the newly painted Virgin Atlantic B747 at MAN, not too impressed with the new titles! They just don't look right (too thin and too big!)

I was so distracted i forgot to get a picture.

Mike Whiskey Romeo
26th Jul 2010, 17:23
Think you mean this one

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/middle/0/3/9/1747930.jpg

I have to agree, looks a bit tacky. Very big and not the most legible. I much preferred the older livery...

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/middle/4/2/8/1726824.jpg

AircraftOperations
26th Jul 2010, 18:48
Sorry, but I actually quite like it.

Though I'm not sure another change was actually required, and I don't know how it would translate onto Airbus fuselages (if they plan to).

spannersatcx
26th Jul 2010, 19:27
a new type of 'red' paint was used on the fin/engines, if you see it up close it looks awful, blotchy and looks half done, it can't really be seen from the photos but word is it has been rejected and has to be redone!:eek:

It's also got virgin on the belly.

EISNN
26th Jul 2010, 19:53
What happened to the purple/blue trim that was around the edges of the tail fin? It added a touch of something classy about the aircraft and the airline itself. Definately the new titles across the fuselage are not nice. boring. Don't think it was very well thought through. Shame. I like Virgin Atlantic, it's staff and SRB.

Blink182
26th Jul 2010, 20:09
The new logo ( Is it just a change of Font ? ) looks a bit more modern.

The fleet at LGW need a re-paint.......... some look terrible with missing patches especially on the Fin and Rudder

I guess old beardy wont be painting "No Way BA/AA " on them, as that is all agreed and done now.

raffele
26th Jul 2010, 20:12
I'm another person who doesn't think ill of that new livery. It looks fresh, clean, modern and a bit more 'grown up' although perhaps a bit more thought needs to be made as to placement and font colour.

AndoniP
27th Jul 2010, 08:18
EISNN -

i think that was the livery before the current one. the all-red tail with virgin logo is the current livery although i think there may be old liveries still going.

some of virgin's 747s are in a shocking state. really tatty inside and out.

Skipness One Echo
27th Jul 2010, 09:38
They've taken an outstanding fresh and vibrant scheme in the 2000 colours with the purble band, toned it down a tad with the scheme introduced with the last A340 deliveries and now we've lost the vibrant purple and gone back to the 1984 original logo in plain red.

Losing the distinctive, cheeky and patriotic winglets in the process?

It all looks a little cheaper alas, and I agree that the titles are far from bold. There's nothing original or outstanding here.

Are we stepping back from a uniform branding for the Virgin group? I thought they were supposed to be moving to a Virgin America look. Certainly having three versions of your brand in the air at once isn't a great move.

Four schemes if you count G-VFAB in the cracking birthday livery

2000 Scheme :
B744
G-VHOT G-VBIG G-VAST G-VXLG
A343
G-VAIR G-VHOL G-VSEA G-VELD G-VFAR
A346
all bar G-VRED G-VWEB G-VBUG in the 2000 scheme

2007 Scheme :
B744
G-VHOT G-VROS G-VGAL G-VLIP G-VROY G-VWOW (G-VROM was but went to Aerosur)
A343
G-VSUN

2010 Underwhelming Scheme :
B744
G-VROC

spannersatcx
27th Jul 2010, 09:45
it's going back into airlivery next week for the fin to be redone!:eek:

purplehelmet
27th Jul 2010, 12:08
just seen this this morning and have to say that from where i was stood it looked more maroon than red,and the tail looked blotchy,no wonder its going back in.

Evanelpus
27th Jul 2010, 12:12
Not sure I like it.

It's also got virgin on the belly.

Ooerrrr missus!

raffele
29th Jul 2010, 16:09
Judging by this link I found today it seems like it's a bit more than a trial... How many fans are they going to lose because of it i wonder

http://tinyurl.com/vs29072

Mike Whiskey Romeo
29th Jul 2010, 16:32
Strange, I dont like the 744 scheme on V-ROC but the link to the A330 pic that raffele just posted looks really nice, very classy. Maybe its because the titles still looks purple and not black as on V-ROC.

I wonder how it would look on the A380s? Might be a bit big and ghastly...time will tell I suppose!

Noonespecial
29th Jul 2010, 21:14
Going by the commentary on a number of other online forums and press reviews, the majority are not too impressed either! Most think it makes Virgin Atlantic look cheap and in your face ( a la Easy Jet). Also a lot of comments about how it doesn't sit well on the fuselage (broken up by windows etc)...looks like braille was one comment.:rolleyes:

To be honest I have to agree. It looks a right mess!! I thought BA were the only ones to screw up a well established Brand identity when they launched the differing world tail fins. You'd have thought the Design/ Brand teams at VS would have learnt through BA's mistake. Seems not though!:ugh:

Wonder how much it all cost??

Dan Winterland
30th Jul 2010, 04:45
It makes the company look a bit 'Low Cost'. Quite an appropriate image for them in my opinion. My last flight with them was hopefully my last Virgin flight ever. Awful service.

A bit of a shame really, the VS product used to be pretty good.

Skipness One Echo
30th Jul 2010, 08:32
I wonder how it would look on the A380s? Might be a bit big and ghastly...time will tell I suppose!

Or not as they're not going to be taking them it looks like.

Mr Pooter
30th Jul 2010, 17:40
"It makes the company look a bit 'Low Cost'. Quite an appropriate image for them in my opinion. My last flight with them was hopefully my last Virgin flight ever. Awful service"

Are you refering to your last flight as an F/O with Virgin Atlantic? Since departing you have never been able to resist the opportunity to use these forums to spread a little vitriol Virgin`s way. It`s been a few years now, maybe it`s time to relax and just let it go...

British Grenadier
30th Jul 2010, 18:58
Going by the commentary on a number of other online forums and press reviews, the majority are not too impressed either! Most think it makes Virgin Atlantic look cheap and in your face ( a la Easy Jet). Also a lot of comments about how it doesn't sit well on the fuselage (broken up by windows etc)...looks like braille was one comment.:rolleyes:

To be honest I have to agree. It looks a right mess!! I thought BA were the only ones to screw up a well established Brand identity when they launched the differing world tail fins. You'd have thought the Design/ Brand teams at VS would have learnt through BA's mistake. Seems not though!:ugh:

Wonder how much it all cost??

One Engineer banded £250,000 for three A/C ??

spannersatcx
31st Jul 2010, 07:32
One Engineer banded £250,000 for three A/C each maybe!

Dan Winterland
31st Jul 2010, 09:35
"It makes the company look a bit 'Low Cost'. Quite an appropriate image for them in my opinion. My last flight with them was hopefully my last Virgin flight ever. Awful service"

Are you refering to your last flight as an F/O with Virgin Atlantic? Since departing you have never been able to resist the opportunity to use these forums to spread a little vitriol Virgin`s way. It`s been a few years now, maybe it`s time to relax and just let it go...

No. I enjoyed my last flight working for them. I'm refering to my last passenger flight. I live in a city served by VS and frequently took flights with them back to the UK when we had to travel full fare. Over the years we have noticed a steady drop in the standard of service. The last flight we took was about a year ago on the way back from London and it was one of the worst long haul flights in my memory. We checked in at LHR at one of the automatic points, got referrred to the desk as there was a problem with our booking (not of our making) where we received a less than friendly reception. On board, the food was inedible and the service indifferent. In between services, the cabin crew were nowhere to be found and getting a drink, even water was self service from the galley. And the new seats are very uncomfortable with less pich than before. We vowed it would be our last flight with VS unless there was no other choice.

I know from speaking with my friends in VS that Flight Deck Crew morale is at rock bottom and this seems to be endemic throughout the company. I met a friend off the VS flight a few months ago. He was travelling on a SUBLO J ticket, but had to travel in Y. He had been in VS as a Captain for over 20 years and also a manager, he said he was shocked to find out how bad things have become. We both agreed that VS was heading towards the low cost standard.

Hence my comment.

It used to be a great service, I was very happy to fly with them as a passenger in the past. But now they are my last choice between LHR and HKG.

As for the 'Vitriol', I won't give it a rest. VS used to be the best airline in the UK to work for. That changed after 9/11 and the way the pilot workforce was treated then was apalling. The memory of that will never fade, and as something similar happened in the latest round of redundancies - the bad feeling is still there. When someone comes on these forums all starry eyed at the thought of working for VS, they need to be remined that it is an airline like any other and will hire and fire as soon as the wind changes.

Dan Air 87
1st Aug 2010, 08:53
Having made a spectacular loss for the last year, its not just the aircraft that need a refresh; its their entire operation both on the ground and in their offices. Also, I would have thought that the first priority was a refurb of the LGW 744s which took tired, dated and very tacky. Maybe they are being left like that for when the A330's come and VS can claim a fresh new look...

Re the A380's I doubt if we will ever see these in VS's livery. Someone from Virgin Towers may prove me wrong.

raffele
1st Aug 2010, 15:34
I have unsurfaced more information about the rebrand and the paint:

Virgin Atlantic to give its planes a new look ? USATODAY.com (http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/post/2010/07/virgin-atlantic-new-livery/101777/1)

Dan Air 87
1st Aug 2010, 16:54
Agreed. Enough said!

Skipness One Echo
2nd Aug 2010, 16:36
The current brand is less than five years old.

Rather than deal with falling service standards they decide to re-order every piece of signage and stationery in a different font? Repaint the ENTIRE fleet even though most are still looking good painted in the 1997 livery?

The compaints from fare paying peeps are about the INTERIORS, not the font on the ticket.

It's not even a new livery, it's a tweak in the model of airfrance. Utter waste of money, marketing can really get too far up it's own backside.

Dan Air 87
2nd Aug 2010, 19:55
I agree with you. VS have been postponing the revamp of the LGW fleet for so many years so it must be a case of if the plane is fit to fly who gives a fig about the pax who pay for the service? Virgin are simply papering over the cracks of a badly run airline. They have to rely on other airlines misfortunes just to make money. OK they have attracted the pax from BA when it comes to keeping them then the game will be up. The only jewel is VS's J class but other airlines are catching up. Air NZ and AC have caight up and EK and SQ are way ahead of them.

As for their W and Y cabins- they are simply appalling. Tired, worn faded interiors with uncomfortable seats and bored cabin crew.

Paint jobs won't fool the travelling public if your service is rubbish. People aren't that stupid...

Skipness One Echo
4th Aug 2010, 11:03
Virgin Atlantic in brand identity refresh - Marketing news - Marketing magazine (http://www.marketingmagazine.co.uk/news/1019419/Virgin-Atlantic-brand-identity-refresh/)

Joe Ferry, head of design for Virgin Atlantic, said: "It is essential that we set a firm, confident foundation for the future of the Virgin Atlantic brand, one which is relevant in the new commercial environment. It’s critical that we portray and live our differentiating brand values."

I love living my brand values. Money well spent. Oh wait, I meant ****ed up a wall. Argh!

Virgin Atlantic Airways - Popup (http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/gb/newvaalivery.jsp)

Virgin script on the inner side of the aircraft winglets, visible to passengers onboard the plane

Replacing the iconic union jack winglets. Important to have the name of the airline there, just in case granny's gotten on the wrong plane again, silly old girl that she is.

I know I'm harping on about this but it concerns me that they've gone for a "stand out" look by "simplyfying the brand" which is incoherent which explains the last few years at VS.

PaperTiger
4th Aug 2010, 15:15
For an example of a subtle and classy livery update, check out the 'new' Air France :ok: .

Dan Air 87
4th Aug 2010, 18:57
Agree with the comment about the new AF livery- at least its different. VS is just throwing money on the colour scheme when they should have other priorities. Like service on the ground and in the air. I would much rather fly in an a/c that has a great interior rather than on what it looks like on the outside. Its where you will be spending your time travelling.

Its a shame but its just another example of an airline and its management that has lost its way and where the management is due for an overhaul. VS have under performed for the last few years now and somehow I can't see it changing.

Lets see how the BA mess has impacted on VS when the pax they have poached realise that they have been duped and return to BA.

Rhayader
4th Aug 2010, 20:21
We have travelled twice over the last couple of years LGW-LAS with the beardie bunch. Not very impressed with the economy or premium economy offerings. So when I was planning a 25th anniversary trip for us this September I was tempted by the BA service LHR-LAS in club world. However, with all the nonsense going on it seemed to be tempting providence. I thought that Upper Class on VS would be a lot better.

My question is: Are Virgin taking advantage with their pricing while BA suffers this dispute? Pricing it up VS wanted £8369 for the two of us upper class (cheapest option over a 10 day period) return. Digging a bit deeper, BA asked for £6575 club world LCY-JFK and after a couple of days in New York, JFK-LAS with AA in first and the same return trip. A difference of £1894. More than enough for excellent hotels and some lobster/blackjack. I could probably get it cheaper using AC, AA, Delta etc throughout but I like to keep some money in the UK economy.

Seems like a bit of judicious fare pricing going on.

:=

Peter47
4th Aug 2010, 20:41
I just hope that there aren't too many parallels with Pan Am which also went down the road of putting its name in a very large font on the side of its airliners.

Reverserbucket
4th Aug 2010, 20:49
they've gone for a "stand out" look by "simplyfying the brand"

Rather like a number of well known high street retail brands - which in essence is what VS is all about.

Blink182
5th Aug 2010, 08:43
Rhayader

BA have stated that that they will run a 100 % operation, if , and thats a big IF , the striking Minority of Cabin Crew take any further Industrial action , so taking Willie at his word I would go with BA.:ok:, so that opens up direct LHR-LAS flights for you........ Going on your original route you will find that the LCY operation was completely un affected by the last action.....( the A318 is operated by LGW cabin crew )

Noah Zark.
7th Aug 2010, 12:26
Excuse the thread drift, but what route (s) does Virgin fly the 7474's on from Manchester?

BillS
7th Aug 2010, 14:38
Excuse the thread drift, but what route (s) does Virgin fly the 7474's on from Manchester?
Up to 2 flights daily to MCO (Orlando), bi-weekly to LAS(Vegas) and weekly to BGI (Barbados)
From Apr 2011, one of the MCO flights and the LAS flights will be on A333 rather than the B744

spannersatcx
7th Aug 2010, 16:01
At present 7x daily to MCO, Sunday to BGI, Thur/Fri/Sat 2nd MCO service, although in Sept that will be Fri/Sat only.

Noah Zark.
7th Aug 2010, 22:06
Thanks for the info, guys.
N.Z.

PAXboy
7th Aug 2010, 22:18
Well, it's all been said. What the heck are they wasting their money on? A slight adjustment? In the middle of a financial meltdown, NO company should be wasting money on a re-brand that isn't a re-brand. Talk about mid-life crisis. Sheesh!

On their web site they state:
We believe we stand out from the crowd, and for this reason we've transformed our liveryOK - so you already stand out from the crowd? Good reason to change it then? This is just marketing junk. I understand about using less paint and less masking, if you do away with the purple edge band, then it's cheaper to do. BUT it was not necessary to do it in the first place!!

BillS
8th Aug 2010, 09:03
VS were getting lots of flak on a number of sites about the state of their aircraft - both inside and out. Refits are due within the year for the LGW fleet.
A repaint was clearly needed.

The new paint is supposedly considerably less weight than the original and the minimal design reduces this even further. It is also supposed to last much longer before needing further work.
The redesign may well be more to do with prudent cost saving rather than just marketing.

Skipness One Echo
10th Aug 2010, 09:03
A repaint was clearly needed.

Hi Bill,

Seven of the thirteen B747-400s have already been recently re-painted (one even went on lease soon afterwards) and consequently will be painted yet again....

Wookey
10th Aug 2010, 12:41
The new paint is supposedly considerably less weight than the original and the minimal design reduces this even further. It is also supposed to last much longer before needing further work.

I have it on good (technical) authority that there is little in the way of weight saving but that there is a special metallic effect on the fin that is spectacular in bright daylight but is an absolute b***er to apply, several different types of coatings being required.

purplehelmet
22nd Oct 2010, 18:58
sorry to resurrect this thread.
but what is going on with the new colour scheme?
I saw one of the 747s at man the other day (g-vilp i think) most of the white looked like dirty grey,the tail looked like it had a dark smudge down it,and one of the engine cowlings was a different shade to the others.
Also on one side the word atlantic looks more like allantic where the t meets with the window.
For a new paint job it looks very shabby already.

ImPlaneCrazy
23rd Oct 2010, 03:41
I don't think G-VLIP has gone in for its new paint job yet; although she does have a fairly new 'Harry Potter' logo been splashed across the back of her!

The only AC I know of that are in the new scheme are;

G-VROC
G-VAST
G-VXLG