PDA

View Full Version : Move drivers to new XP

seacue
25th Jul 2010, 21:37
I have an older computer running XP which has drivers & Image Zone for an HP 4070 scanner. I recently received a newer computer also running XP and Image Zone. But it doesn't have drivers for the 4070. Both are 32-bit XP SP3. The software disk for the 4070 has gone missing.

HP seems to have largely washed their hands of support for the 4070. They provide a download of a Basic driver which "may not support some features of the hardware". Righto. The down-loadable driver does not support the slide-scanning feature of the 4070.

Am I out of luck or is there a possibility of moving the driver to the newer machine?

Saab Dastard
25th Jul 2010, 22:17
I am sure that the driver installation will need to have registry entries, which are normally made by the installation routine.

I lose the will to live when faced with HKEY_Classes_Root, so good luck in trying to identify them on the working system and then copying them across!

The HP driver page for the 4070 has a >300MB file for the "4070 series" - is this the file you have downloaded and found wanting?

HP Image Zone Software HP Scanjet 4070 Photosmart Scanner - HP Customer Care (United States - English) (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=sj-24142-2&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&os=228&product=391311&sw_lang=)

I note it states that:

However, this download does not contain any third party software.

Is it possible that the slide scanning features are provided by an additional software package, that you might still have installation media for?

SD

seacue
26th Jul 2010, 02:28
Yes, I downloaded and installed that huge file. When I run Image Zone or just use TWAIN access to the scanner, I get a message about important software routines being missing or corrupt. But they give no hint about what software that might be.

I have downloaded and installed from HP a 2.9 megabyte "Basic" driver as well. It runs OK from TWAIN, but does not support the slide scanning function.

Somewhere along the way (probably with the 2.9 Mby driver) is the message that they are "sorry", but that driver may not support some of the functions of the device.... Sure 'nuff, it doesn't support the slide scanning.

The "newer" machine runs XP Media Center. Since writing my initial plea, it has occurred to me that maybe there is a suitable driver on the Media Center XP installation CDs - which I have. I'll investigate that the next time I get to the system.

Mac the Knife
26th Jul 2010, 08:49
See How Do I Back Up My Drivers? - PCWorld (http://www.pcworld.com/article/151125/how_do_i_back_up_my_drivers.html)

Various solutions suggested

DriverBackup! at SourceForge looks good

:ok:

Mac

seacue
26th Jul 2010, 10:04
Thank you, Mac. I'll try your approach(es).

seacue

olympus
26th Jul 2010, 12:04
HP are notorious for washing their hands of support for what they perceive as older machines, that is when they are not trying to charge for providing support!

I have recently spent a lot of time trying to find a comprehensive driver package for my old-but-still-functional Scanjet 3500 and whilst digging found this (http://www.driverstock.com/HP-4070-driver-download/10-7-4674/index.html) which may or may not be the driver which you have already found.

Google also brings up many sites which purport to offer 4070 drivers but don't know if the feature you require would be included.