PDA

View Full Version : Leaving the RN (FAA)

Junglydaz
25th Jul 2010, 21:14
Gents

Currently a CPOAEA, I am leaving the RN in the next 5 years (extended career starts in November). I am looking at gaining my Aircraft Charge Certficate (ACC), but what qualifications would you suggest I gain in preparation for life outside? I left Tiff's course with an OND so could do with gaining the HND, and I have also considered the license route (I am in Avionics currently).

Any help from your obvious experience would help greatly.

Darren

itsresidualmate
26th Jul 2010, 11:14
Depends what you want to do. In the airline engineering world the B1/B2 opens the most doors; line maintenance, base maintenance, tech services department, Quality, etc, I don't think there's any engineering job with an airline that a B1 or B2 licence wouldn't qualify you for (with the appriopriate type ratings and experience). More airline directors of engineering hold a licence than a degree.
Kingston University do a degree in Aircraft Maintenance if you fancy the degree route. You'll be able to do all the jobs a licenced engineer could do in the office but you'd not be able to go the other way and work on aircraft.
If your goal is to enter civil aviation and you've got 5 years to go, I'd get the B1 and B2 licence and if there's time left look at the Kingston degree.

You mention you've got an ONC with possibility on an HND. My personal view is that they'd be of little use to you in civil aviation. You'd be under qualified for management/tech services and over qualified for a mechanic. Licences and degrees are the only things that hold any weight in civil aviation.

Rigga
26th Jul 2010, 18:27
Absolutely Spot-On advice from IRM with respect to what qualifications to go for.

Except that in some jobs you may not even need a Type Rating - Quality may only need a General Familiarisation Course (possibly known as a Managers Course)

And Jungly, you're absolutely spot-on with the timing of your "escape plan".

IMO - go the Licence route first (Could be done in 2-3 years) followed by the Degree.

Junglydaz
28th Jul 2010, 19:59
Cheers for the advice fellas.