PDA

View Full Version : Light aircraft type rating

turku6
25th Jul 2010, 20:44
Hi, I'm shortly going to have my B1 licence on piston engine aircaft, however i'm not sure how i obtain my type ratings on light aircraft in the UK, I mainly work on Cessna, Piper, Grumman and Rockwell aircraft. Do i need to do a basic and complex course or manufacture's courses?

Cheers for any help

146fixer
26th Jul 2010, 09:09
You'll be pretty hard pushed to find any 147 courses for light A/C.Not saying there isn't any,but never heard of them.To get my all metal piston group rating I filled out a load of experience/log book sheets sent them to the CAA and I took an oral exam with one of my local surveyor.That was about 4 years ago.Did the same thing last year for a type rating on a light composite single.So far this is the only way I know of getting type ratings for light A/C.What I would like to know is is it the same for adding type rating to a B2 license as thats what I need to do next?

NutLoose
26th Jul 2010, 17:30
Think you will find its experience as courses are more or less none existant, if you can show experience on them you should be ok, three types will give you the group, twins will give you the single group, or it used to in CAA land..... problems come when doing engines as bar Lycoming and Continentals a third type is difficult to get...... I was lucky, when I did mine it was two......

I sat my CAA licences on piston aircraft and engines, I also did a 152 and Lycoming o-235 rating on the same exam...... At the time my idea was well on the oral he has only so long so he has to angle the questions to the type, he did, but study wise my eyes were out on stalks covering everything......I would not recommend that, in fact my exam was on the old CAA licence..

linky for u

EASA - Aircraft type ratings for Part-66 aircraft maintenance licence (http://easa.europa.eu/rulemaking/aircraft-type-ratings-for-part-66-aircraft-maintenance-licence.php)

smitn05
27th Jul 2010, 19:33
146, the process for B2 is the same as B1, although the full group ratings for light GA are only 2 (Aeroplanes & Helicopter). If you can show enough experience on 3 different manufacturers types then you can obtain the light aircraft group for all non-complex (ie not individually type rated) upto 5700kg with a simple oral.

NutLoose
28th Jul 2010, 01:32
Yes and no, it's not that clear cut on the b1.... you can group specific, such as plastic aeroplanes, metal aeroplanes, wooden aircraft, then there are twins of those but as said if you do twins you get the singles, but you will also need to cover VP props and pressurisation, to get the full metal group, they may well then throw in turbine metal singles minus the engines etc, then there is some stuff that needs a course or type.

turku6
15th Aug 2010, 15:10
Thanks very much, looks like i'd best update my logbook