PDA

View Full Version : Print spooler

ChristiaanJ
25th Jul 2010, 19:30
Question from an ancient (very ancient!).

Currently a bog-standard PC running Windows XP.
A few weeks ago, without any other symptom, my print spooler has suddenly given up the ghost. No print from Word, or browser, or whatever.
(NOT the printer driver, but the spooler itself, according to the error messages!)

Is there a 'quick-and-dirty' method to re-activate the spooler?

Just counting on all of you, before having a long and laborious session with "Help" and the install CD, etc.

CJ

Saab Dastard
25th Jul 2010, 20:21
You can check the System event log to see if there's anything there, also check the services to see if the Print Spooler service (C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe) has started, and if the service it is dependent on (RPC) has also started.

Check that the C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe file is present and correct - if it has been corrupted, there's a good copy in C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386.

Check to see if there is anything in the

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\PRINTERS folder.

If there is, delete it.

If that doesn't help, there's always google!

SD

ChristiaanJ
25th Jul 2010, 22:07
You can check the System event log to see if there's anything there, also check the services to see if the Print Spooler service (C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe) has started, and if the service it is dependent on (RPC) has also started.
Thanks already !
XP for dummies... How do I check the system event log, and how do I check the services...?
Nothing in the C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\PRINTERS folder.
Using a totally basic command line command > lpt1 works, but I expect that bypasses the spooler.

CJ

Saab Dastard
25th Jul 2010, 22:27
Using a totally basic command line command > lpt1 works, but I expect that bypasses the spooler.

Actually it doesn't!

It does bypass the Windows printer driver, though, which would explain why you can print direct to the parallel port but not from Windows applications.

Remove and re-install the printer driver.

SD

BOAC
26th Jul 2010, 08:57
How do I check the system event log, and how do I check the services...?- Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/

1) Then System Tools/Event Viewer/System and then

2) Services and Apps/Services

have fun!

ChristiaanJ
26th Jul 2010, 15:25
SD and BOAC,

Many thanks to both of you!

SD, re-installing the printer driver (an HP) didn't work, it still called for the Windows spooler itself.
My command line command was "echo hello ctrl-L dir > LPT1", so that would have written straight to the port and bypassed everything.

BOAC, thanks to your instructions I found the right spots in the wilderness, and they seemed to indicate that spoolsv.exe had indeed been corrupted.
Since I had doubts about the 'how' (hence about what elsee might have been corrupted at the same time), I just went the whole hog, and re-installed XP.

That did the trick.

Cheers!
CJ

mad_jock
26th Jul 2010, 17:21
Proberly the best plan reinstalling the whole lot if you feel the urge.

I spent a week resetting windoze printer Q's spoolers after some knob transferred them off a 2.11 bindary novell server with an up time of 2 years!!!

It took me a week to find it on a pre rollout audit. Found at the back of a cleaning closet raw bolted to the wall with zero ventilation and quite happily having 50 odd Q's and 1500 users hanging off a 486. The replacement windows option was 2 servers each costing 10k plus and gawd knows how much in licensing costs.

ChristiaanJ
26th Jul 2010, 19:19
Proberly the best plan reinstalling the whole lot if you feel the urge. That's what I did, and it didn't take all that long....
CJ

Saab Dastard
26th Jul 2010, 19:51
MJ,

Netware, now there were a man's F&P server! :8 I loved working with 3.12! :ok:

SD

mad_jock
26th Jul 2010, 21:53
2.11 if i remember rightly was a bit of a tw@t.

I just remember lots of blue screens with block text and hitting the tab key alot.

But you couldn't complain though. After it was setup it just kept on chugging away using next to no system resources.

You could add an extra 5 quid an hour on your rate for pretending you knew what you were doing with it as well.