PDA

View Full Version : India WAC

skyflies
25th Jul 2010, 14:02
Hello,

This is the first post from me in this forum. I am an active Private Pilot in the US but am from India. All my flying has been here in the US and I am curious about VFR flight in India. I have tried to obtain VFR navigation charts (I know that the Survey of India publishes WACs) but to no avail.

Does anyone know where I can buy one online? I have the ONCs and TPCs published by the US DoD for the region, but those are very outdated.

I know this is the "Professional Pilots" network, and most of you would rather be staring at en route charts and approach plates, but hopefully you know where the VFR charts are available too :)

Thanks!

jimmygill
25th Jul 2010, 15:27
Most relevant commercially available VFR charts for the subcontinent are based on NIMA data. Indian Subcontinent is covered in 4-5 such charts.

Aeronautical information on these charts are quiet dated, and these charts are quiet expensive to get.

The whole set may cost around 500 USD upwards. And they are not as detailed as the NACO charts you are used to are.

skyflies
26th Jul 2010, 00:50
Is this NIMA data the same as the ONC and TNCs of the US Department of Defense? If so, I have them. They are indeed very dated. Many of the charts were last updated in 1984.

I went through the YSR Reddy chopper crash accident report and it shows the flight path superimposed on a VFR navigation chart, which is no doubt a WAC for India. I had given up on getting it until I saw that report, which explains this renewed effort.

Thanks again.

shanx
26th Jul 2010, 04:50
Google maps and google earth ! :E

skyflies
26th Jul 2010, 14:39
But I want the actual sarkari chart ;)

Are there any students here from Indian flight schools that might have an outdated one? I am willing to purchase it and pay for shipping.

charliezuluvictor
26th Jul 2010, 16:09
I have seen some maps that you are looking for at the English Book Store in CP, New Delhi.. I too was keen to see them after having learnt how to fly in Australia..I don't have their number but I am sure someone here would...

VFR_Pilot
14th Nov 2011, 00:14
Did u have any luck finding VFR charts for india or even mumbai area TAC?

skyflies
15th Nov 2011, 04:41
No I didn't. I wrote to the book shop mentioned above and they didn't have any either. It's frustrating that no one seems to have the thing that you would expect ALL VFR pilots to use!!

BTW, where in the Bay Area are you? I recently moved to Fremont and am getting checked out in a Citabria at LVK. Where do you fly out of and what do you fly?

VFR_Pilot
15th Nov 2011, 16:08
I live in Fremont too. Fly out of RHV in a C172SP. I am a stage 2 student pilot about to complete my solo xctry.

skyflies
15th Nov 2011, 18:22
I considered Aerodynamic Aviation in RHV before I went to Attitude in LVK. I am already a PP-ASEL btw. We should meet up sometime. I'll drop you a PM.

And good luck with your cross country flights!

VFR_Pilot
16th Nov 2011, 17:42
Thanks. I have emailed someone at Bombay flying club regarding charts etc? Will keep you posted if I hear something interesting.

skyflies
16th Nov 2011, 22:57
Thanks! Appreciate it.