PDA

View Full Version : Journalism at it's finest.

FL170
25th Jul 2010, 13:49
Qantas jet's de-icing gear fails (http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-news/qantas-jets--deicing-gear-fails-20100725-10q74.html)

De-icing equipment is required so ice does not hinder air flow over the wings and cause drag during ascent and descent.

:}

FRQ Charlie Bravo
25th Jul 2010, 15:00
And here I thought that it was to put de icing on the top of de cake.

You certainly do learn something every day.

FRQ CB

Mud Skipper
25th Jul 2010, 20:01
The story has now been edited without reference. Guess that's the joy of electronic media - you can try to hide your mistakes. Shame they still have NO idea about aviation and could only slightly hide that with the further cr@p they replaced the original story with.

FO4EVA
25th Jul 2010, 22:27
Clearly lacking details to comment accurately, but I will anyway!

Seemed strange to me to return to SYD with wing/eng de-ice problem. I assume wing deice problem, as it's common for eng anti-ice to fail ON.

CNS a bit warmer???? Cruise > FL350, not much icing???

Anyway, don't know the full story or wx conditions, but that's never stopped armchair quarterbacks before!!!

Edit: OIC "SYD, which was the nearest major airport that was free of cloud," has been added to the story. Fair call I 'spose

Capn Bloggs
25th Jul 2010, 23:26
Anyway, don't know the full story or wx conditions, but that's never stopped armchair quarterbacks before!!!

Correct! So here I go :) : What about barrelling along at high speed to Cairns at FL200 just above the icing temp? The jet might be U/S when it gets there (doesn't QF have engos in CNS?), but at least 1 set of pax would have got to where they wanted, on time... :ok:

PS: What is wrong with the "revised" article? Sounds a fair synopsis for the average Joe Blunt/SLF to me.

Capt Claret
26th Jul 2010, 00:37
So here I go : What about barrelling along at high speed to Cairns at FL200 just above the icing temp? The jet might be U/S when it gets there (doesn't QF have engos in CNS?), but at least 1 set of pax would have got to where they wanted, on time..

Perhaps the fuel nazis have hamstrung the Captain from taking more than minimal fuel and therefore a lower level than planned was out of the question.

Capn Bloggs
26th Jul 2010, 00:51
And what do we find on page 18 of The West?

"Mid-air scare on Qantas jet"

:yuk:

Monopole
26th Jul 2010, 02:07
Have'nt read todays West yet Capt. Bloggs. Is that headline from the ususal suspect?

Capn Bloggs
26th Jul 2010, 02:17
Mono,

No, GT isn't mentioned. No byline shown.

FoxtrotAlpha18
26th Jul 2010, 06:38
Even if it was GT's byline, he doesn't write the headlines! :hmm::ugh:

FGD135
26th Jul 2010, 06:57
Some pilots here know as much about journalism as journalists know about aviation!

Capn Bloggs
26th Jul 2010, 08:04
Some pilots here know as much about journalism as journalists know about aviation!
What do you mean?

bobbobbob
26th Jul 2010, 08:28
How can you guarantee you wont enter icing conditions on a 3hr flight?

Capn Bloggs
26th Jul 2010, 08:31
You fly along just below the icing level (when in icing). :ok:

Monopole
26th Jul 2010, 08:44
But I don't claim to be an expert in Journalism.