PDA

View Full Version : Hainan Airlines

737XL Pilot
25th Jul 2010, 09:13
Hello everyone!

Just received an email from Paramount about them starting up their recruitment again for Hainan. Anyone got any experience dealing with this particular agency, and what it's like working for Hainan at the moment. I've read the previous threads but they're a bit out of date. Would also like as much information as possible about the recruitment process itself.

I'm looking at the commuting contract as I don't really want to move my family to China. They're offering 6 weeks on/2 weeks off, which is not too bad.
Once again, if anyone is on this particular contract, any info would be much appreciated.

Cheers guys.:)

737XL Pilot
4th Aug 2010, 14:40
Surely there must be someone working for Hainan at the moment.
Any info at all would be much appreciated.
Cheers

Kirks gusset
10th Aug 2010, 15:03
Ok three of our guys just got back from Beijing having seen HNA. The process is: Sim check, don't ask for profiles because they all had different stuff, but you need to do 2 or 3 max crosswind landings, usually after some sort of problem, one/two is raw data, maybe single engine NP approach or ILS s/e.

They wont tell you if you passed or not there and then.

Next is medical, then CAAC ATPL.

Here's the rub: Having passed the sim, you go back for CAAC ATPL exams then back for SOP training (maybe after 3/4 months), ground school/in sim followed by authority licence check, very strict according to chief pilot.

The guy we met doing his medical had been in the system 9 months, others longer, some over a year.

Worth a look if you have time on your hands.

No PMs on this please

Apparently HNA get money from the government when they do foriegn pilot checks, they are building database up of potential candidates.

Out of BRU there are some Belgian A330 Cpts, apart from that there are about 21 foreign pilots out of 400 or so. Its the ICAO level 4 they want out of Beijing, so other bases, not really an option.

Seem like a good company but nothing moves quickly and as you pay you own connecting flights to their hubs and tax on the ID flight with them, after 3 trips you could be £1500 out of pocket easily ( depending on your location).
Expenses!! some guys still waiting for refeund from last year.

It is apparently " just the system"

737XL Pilot
19th Aug 2010, 13:23
Thanks for the info mate!

I've just been invited for an interview in September.
I'll let you know what my experience is like.:}

737XL Pilot
25th Sep 2010, 09:30
My interview was postponed til mid Oct. Will give an update when I've completed the interview.

WellFrackMe
26th Sep 2010, 23:22
On the 737 Fleet 6 Foreign CPs have been downgraded to F6 First Officers in the last 5 weeks from a total 12.

On the 330 Fleet 3 Foreign CP's have been downgraded to F9 First Officers (including myself) from a total of 20.

Not sure how many have refused and still lots of sim checks to come.

So you can have started your contract as long as 2 yrs., and still get downgraded! That means 60% salary and a re-check in 3-6 months!

All a breach of the contract!

Sue Ridgepipe
27th Sep 2010, 05:42
Read all the threads on here about working in China and you will find they all say the same thing. That is, that your employment contract in China is not worth the paper it's written on. Companies can (and often do) make their own changes to your contract to suit themselves, and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it (except leave).

169west
27th Sep 2010, 06:33
It would be interesting to know the reasons why they did what they are doing!
Money, color of your eyes, attitude, check ride, documents problems! Also if in chinese but they have to say something.

737XL Pilot
1st Nov 2010, 08:05
Back from China, and had a good experience. As mentioned before taxes and charges were not paid for and no confirmed booking was in place.
Simulator was tough, did'nt help to go straight into the sim after a long journey. Multiple failures, loss of both generators with an apu failure. On top of that failure of all DU's so you're now down to sby instruments only and they want you to fly a procedural app which is based on radials and dme. So much fun. Medical is a just a long process. At least when you walk out of there you know if there's something wrong with you. ATP is not too bad as long as you prepare for it.
I think to have a good recruitment agency is absolutely vital in this process. My agency, answered all questions very promptly and refunded all my travelling costs within a few days of me returning back home. On PPRuNe, like everywhere else, you mostly hear from the people that are not that happy. I think I could be happy in China, obvisously remains to be seen.
Good luck everyone and you want more specific info on what to expect please fell free to pm me.
Cheers
:ok:

169west
7th Dec 2010, 01:40
@737XL
what's going on between Air China/HNA and this new Dalian Airlines?

737XL Pilot
7th Dec 2010, 07:40
Hey 169west!

To be honest I don't have a clue. I'm rubbish keeping track off stuff like that. Probably not the best approach but there you go. I'll be starting with Hainan in Jan.

Chinos
21st Jan 2011, 04:03
Hi 737XL pilot,

I am new to this thread and have read your posting with interest. It seems that you have had the toughest ride and are strangely the most positive of all the guys here.

I know that things are different for everyone and if you expect the classic western airlines way of doing things then China would most likely not be the best place to go to. Hence a lot of negativity in the feedback all around..? I am guessing and anyone please correct me, if I am wrong.

Myself I am looking at Hainan with interest, They seem to have what I am looking for and I seem to have what the agencies are saying they are looking for.

Only question is how to chose the right agency, it seems.
Could you PM me on what is your agency, it seems that they looked after you.

Best of luck and keep us posted!
:ok:

tcas69
21st Jan 2011, 14:08
GPS ok so far, money on time but don't expect too much ;-)