PDA

View Full Version : Who do you want as a Bargaining Representative?

Free Flight
25th Jul 2010, 00:33
Now that the management have finally agreed that they have to negotiate an EBA for those of us based in Australia, we all have to give some thought to how our best interests are to be protected.
At the moment, we have an arrogant and secretive sub committee of the HKAOA purporting to represent us. Blatantly, they then come out with a position that only their negotiating appointees should be at the table. So, we have a position whereby ALL negotiators are members of the HKAOA - including 2 HKAOA employees.
Given that the HKAOA is not allowed under Australian legislation to have any influence or control over the AOAAustralia, how are they (and we) to be assured that the priorities of the HKG based pilots will not be put before the best interests of the Australian tax paying officers?

Whilst it will become very obvious that we have to have strong ties and similar objectives with the HKAOA, having HKAOA only negotiators seems like a recipe for disaster, as far as I can see.

I would like to see some independent officers sitting at the negotiating table.

Whilst on the topic of the transfer of authority for my representative organisation, how will the HKAOA transfer the accrued capital (assets) that I have been paying for so long to the AOAAustralia?
If the HKAOA is allowed to starve AOAAustralia because it disagrees with the legal action it might be taking against the company (or the HKAOA) we cannot be truly independent.

The silence is deafening - the meetings are not even advertised and no meetings are held in our own country?

I know that the sub-committee live in my home base but I've never been informed of an open meeting!

More comms, more independence, more leadership.

Radial Power
25th Jul 2010, 02:49
Whoa there, FF - are you suggesting that the HKAOA are not going to work in my best interests?
Going down your route would lead to more self-interested parties ; more divide and conquor.

However, not being based in BNE, I do agree about the lack of Australian meetings - surely we can have one in each of the base areas?

Free Flight
25th Jul 2010, 03:01
I'm not suggesting that we try to be independent of all the interests of the HKAOA but AOAAustralia is mandated to be free of overseas influence - 4 HKAOA out of 4 negotiators is not that!

If you buy a house, the buyer and seller cannot use the same solicitor to represent them - conflict of interests. I am saying that we need some representative who is going to be only interested in the position of us Aussie pilots. At present, the 2 pilot negotiators have to bear in mind the HKAOA and the HKAOA employees have to consider the effects of HKAOA, AOACanada, AOA members in Mongolia etc.

By all means have the 2 Gen Secs of the HKAOA sitting at the table - I'm sure that Dolan has the most experience of any of the negotiators in dealing with multinationals but we must make sure we don't have the farm given away to protect any other interest group.

Go independent!

Waterskier
25th Jul 2010, 06:38
I'm not sure how I feel about the onshoring of AOA into various bases. While it can be good because of better legal protections in the various countries, there is the danger of having 6 different unions representing pilots. 6 unions with 6 agendas does not present a unified position.

Canadian pilots strive for improvements to Canadian pilot work rules possibly at the expense of others (say HKG pilots).

I believe the FAs have this union setup and there have been issues... like a separate seniority list for that base/country and upgrades based on that. So potentially in order to get a Canadian Captain slot, you have to be on the Canadian Seniority list... ohh you're on the HKG list, sorry bud.

Again, I recognize some legal benefits but I think its a double edged sword that could be used to divide and conquer.

BusyB
25th Jul 2010, 08:00
Free Flight,
Perhaps we should all suggest that only Aussies are responsible for all the legal bills!!! If you're a member ask your reps!:ugh:

Free Flight
26th Jul 2010, 02:05
Hi Radial - not intended to have a totally independent "loose cannon".
Just pointing out that we don't have a representative who isn't beholden to HKAOA positions.

The situation in Australia is one of the strongest in the world to be able to protect our contracts. We need to use this as a beachhead to improve the lot of ALL CX pilots. As an example, it is normal in Australia to include pay rises in the EBA and this may include CPI. Now, how do you think this will put pressure on the T&Cs in HKG, Canada, Europe etc.

This is a great opportunity to get AOAAustralia out ahead to get CX pressured into giving a pay rise I have been waiting for in HKG for far too many years.

Free Flight
26th Jul 2010, 02:10
Hi BusyB,
Trying to think of the big picture here - not some penny pinching money grab.

Picture the financially dependent AOAAustralia wanting to take legal action against CX for breaking the contract. Now, if I were CX, I would offer some minor concession to HKAOA but commit them to not fund the Australian action. A financially independent AOAAustralia would prevent this scenario.

If you think this isn't like CX or HKAOA, please read your history books and turn up at the Appeal Court tomorrow!

FF

BusyB
26th Jul 2010, 08:38
Free Flight,
Try writing to your Aussi reps and I think you'll find they are way ahead of you. Why do you ask PPRuNe? Are you not a member?:confused: