PDA

View Full Version : Got 1020p from computer to T/V, can I run Blue Ray?

Loose rivets
24th Jul 2010, 17:32
My problematical Foxconn board seems to be okay since W7 Pro was re-installed. It looks stunning with photos on a 46" LED Samsung.

I'm using an HDMI lead.

Question is, although I can stream ordinary movies from FletNix, can I expect to download BlueRay films, or indeed, play these enhanced DVDs with an ordinary Samsung DVD Player / Writer, of no great cost.

Is it likely the graphics card on the MB will be able to continue with this kind of quality while streaming at 1020p ?

Also I'd like to use the computer as a Tivo-type machine, what's the next step to copying the downloads to the HD?

Bushfiva
25th Jul 2010, 11:21
If you mean blu-ray drive. then a blu-ray drive with a blu-ray disc plus an HDMI cable to a suitable screen should play fine since there is a rights-managed path from end to end.

If you mean you have a DVD drive, then a blu-ray disc won't work in it.

To give a little perspective on the "will my computer play HD" thing, whilst 1080p is quite recent to TV screens, resolutions way beyond 1080p have been normal on computers for many years. However one recent benefit is that large-screen monitors have suddenly become cheap as chips. You should be able to play a 1080p video source with no hiccups at all.

Parapunter
25th Jul 2010, 11:32
Given a dvd is about 4 to 5 gigabytes, what is a blu ray? I think downloading blu ray movies would soon fill up your hard drive. Looking at google on the subject, movies are typically 20-35 gigabytes of data. i don't think I would be keen to have that on my system - stick to discs.

As for setting it all up, on my system here, I have an LG blu ray drive (75 quid a year ago I think), Cyberlink power dvd 10 to run it & an HDMI cable to hook it up to the 1080p tv, so you would be good to go with a similar set up.

I recommend it, I think blu ray is an order of magnitude better than dvd for watching movies.

Loose rivets
26th Jul 2010, 03:40
Compared to up-convert/scalar Simulated 1080-p ?