PDA

View Full Version : AI pilots grounded for being too loud

jimmygill
24th Jul 2010, 11:36
AI pilots grounded for being too loud - Mumbai Mirror (http://www.mumbaimirror.com/article/2/2010072420100724021427735edee749/AI-pilots-grounded-for-being-too-loud.html)

While pilots being de-rostered for errors in the cockpit is not unheard of, three Air-India commanders have been taken to task for allegedly being too noisy while travelling first-class on a Frankfurt-Mumbai flight. One of them, Capt Kshmata Bajpai, has been temporarily barred from flying.

Her colleagues, Capt Suraj Prakash and a co-pilot, have been let off with a warning after being de-rostered for a few days.

Sources in Air India say the reason for such swift action was that a complaint against the trio was made by their co-passenger Jaan Albrecht, the CEO of Star Alliance, an international group of airlines of which Air-India is trying to become a part.

Bajpai and Prakash were seated in the first class section of AI 126 in April, and the first-officer, who was travelling business class, would come and sit on a hollow bin in the aisle when he joined them for meals. “They were loud and noisy. There was disregard for decorum as they ate and drank alcohol,” a source said that Albrecht, who was sitting next to them, wrote in his complaint given to the airline’s Managing Director Arvind Jadhav.

“He said that they were laughing loudly and also passing comments against AI management and civil aviation minister Praful Patel,” the source added. The pilots had no idea who their travelling companion was, and learnt his identity only after landing.

Two cabin crew, who were on duly in first-class, allegedly did not ask the pilots to refrain from being loud for the sake of the other passengers. “Crew travelling in first class is not supposed to behave in this fashion. The behaviour of the pilots was unbecoming. Air India aspires to join the Star Alliance by end of this year and this incident has given a bad impression about the airline. An inquiry has been initiated,” another top airline source said.

The commander of the flight, K Tarapore, was asked for a detailed explanation. The two members of the cabin crew were sent to corrective training and taken off duty for about a fortnight.

While senior Air-India pilots conceded that the behaviour of the three pilots wasn’t acceptable, they said that too much fuss had been made over the incident. “They were discussing the goings-on in the airline. Can’t they express an opinion? Is this Emergency, that they can’t express views?’’ a senior commander asked.

Captain Bajpai has given an apology letter, however, an enquiry is being reopened against her.

slumdog
24th Jul 2010, 11:50
He has no right to complain!

How can the management treat Commanders like this!

Dont they know?
Indian commanders are God's gift to Aviation. :E

They have upset the Gods of Aviation,this calls for SACRIFICE!

fatbus
24th Jul 2010, 12:15
Too much walking jonnie

VIMANMAN
24th Jul 2010, 17:06
What SLUMDOG said.....

Actually I feel bad for the Cabin Crew that were derostered...thy were F.....d either way......

Had they said something to the "LOUD" crewmembers during the flight.... then they would have probably been derostered anyway due to complaints to AI from the "LOUD" crewmembers.

flash8
24th Jul 2010, 17:46
Jaan Albrecht, the CEO of Star Alliance

Hahaha. Probably put the fear of God into the AI management. Love to have been a fly on the wall during that particular "crisis" meeting.

An inquiry has been initiated,” another top airline source said.

When can I stop laughing?

An absolute CLASSIC!

ratherbehunting
25th Jul 2010, 00:56
Jaan Albrecht is an a$$whole. He is an arrogant mf who typifies airline bean counter ceos in this day and age. He should be regarded as the enemy of all pilots everywhere. His arrogance at STAR alliance meetings is legendary.

For anyone who has watched the movie - "The International" about a corrupt bank with a CEO who hides behind legitimate enterprises - one cannot help but think about people like Jaan Albrecht.

rdr
25th Jul 2010, 04:15
on a departure a couple of months back from BOM, my f/o and i were patiently waiting for a few Delta crew to clear immigration, when about 6 members of Jurassic Park (Air India cabin crew) materialised behind us. looking agitated that they had to wait, prompted them to walk past, waving the form at the counter and totally bypassing all security and procedure.
no attempt was made to stop them as it appeared that they somehow knew they were beyond accountability, as well as being beneath waiting in line behind others.

somehow, when i read this thread, i am certainly not surprised by the scenario.

AviatorVette
25th Jul 2010, 13:31
Air India is always in the news for all the bad reasons.

TopTup
26th Jul 2010, 08:31
Imagine the report if the CEO of Star Alliance had of walked straight into the cockpit via the habitually unlocked cockpit door, to see the pilots in their pajamas, smoking and with the cockpit windows blocked out with napkins and newspapers all while over some of the most dangerous terrain for any twin to operate over (Afghanistan)?

And the FA's? Well sadly they are disciplined for following the disgraceful lines of PILOT = GOD, FA = low life servant. Even if they did think the pilots were too loud, I'd bet my bottom dollar they would be too scared to dare to say anything for fear of insult, being belittled and suffer unfair retribution as a result for doing their job.

Star Alliance would do well to REALLY investigate their bed-fellows and hence uncover the corruption in management, training and standards.

Imagine your shock at booking your family on a flight with Singapore Airlines, Lufthansa/KLM, United, etc...only to find you and yours on an AI flight KNOWING what you do (or should) about the true goings on at that airline!

aditya104
27th Jul 2010, 04:22
Too much walking jonnie

ROTFLmfao and its a lady!