PDA

View Full Version : SBY policy at LHR?

tedax
23rd Jul 2010, 20:48
Hi everyone

My base is MAD (work for IB) and I'll be travelling to London on an ID00 in a couple of days. In Spain when travelling on an ID ticket you just get a SBY boarding pass, go airside, wait by the boarding gate for the flight to close and then you're given a seat, and if the flight is full you can ask the boarding coordinator to ask the captain if he would let you have a jumpseat. However I've been told this isn't the case in the UK, apparently you need to wait for the flight to close before going airside because they won't let you through security on a SBY boarding pass. But then if there shouldn't be any seats available, how am I supposed to ask the captain for a jumpseat and most importantly, how am I to go through security without a boarding pass, will they take my word that I have a jumpseat?

I'm a bit confused by all of this, any advice at all would be appreciated. Thanks.

Colonel White
23rd Jul 2010, 21:12
Have you asked your staff travel people what you should do ? Might be worth posting on one of the other cabin crew forums as well.

frontcheck
23rd Jul 2010, 21:32
The procedure will vary from airline to airline , you need to be more specific on which airline you will be trying.

BAAlltheway
23rd Jul 2010, 22:15
Not only does it vary by airline, as pointed out by Frontcheck, but also depending on airport terminal.

Ideally if you can give both pieces of info, it will help someone help you!

Generally however you will check-in landside, and either be given your boarding card and told to come back at X time before departure, or it will be kept at the desk until you return at X time before departure.

Not sure about other airlines, but BA at T5, 99% of the time you wait landside, return to the desk to be onloaded and go through security once you have a seat. Occasionally you are given a sby boarding card and special permission to go through airside to wait (using computer system, so dont try unless they tell you!). This is usually if they expect you WILL get a seat but that it will be late onload.

It is NOT usual for BA sby pax to be able to approach and ask the captain for jump seats. It doesnt usually go down well. You could try asking at check-in. Sometimes it will be offered, via the dispatcher, usually if pax is known to be commuting crew.

IF you were offered a jump seat landside or airside, you would usually have a standby boarding card.

ottergirl
23rd Jul 2010, 22:31
Hi tedax
Which carrier are you thinking of? If it's BA, we don't take other airlines staff on the flight deck so it wouldn't make a difference. If the new merger has changed that, then you can request a jumpseat on-line if you can get on the BA staff intranet system.

good luck

regards

OG

ArthurScargill
26th Jul 2010, 17:20
Just a thought but if its an ID100 ticket won't the OP be travelling on IB as thats the airline they have stated as working for ?
If thats the case it will totally depend on what IBs policy is at LGW or LHR.

rexu
2nd Aug 2010, 13:56
All the air lines have their own strategies regarding their staff weather its cabin crew or poilet.

Human Factor
2nd Aug 2010, 15:14
If it's BA, we don't take other airlines staff on the flight deck so it wouldn't make a difference. If the new merger has changed that, then you can request a jumpseat on-line if you can get on the BA staff intranet system.

It hasn't. That system is for BA pilots and cabin crew only.