PDA

View Full Version : Would I fail a Class 1 for having Psoriasis?

midiman
23rd Jul 2010, 11:17
Hi I suffer from Psoriasis and I have to see a Dermatologist for treatment.

I can control it with medication but the medications have a lot of reported side effects.

Because of their toxicity I have to have weekly/every other or monthly blood tests, when I am on them.

I mainly use an organ rejection drug called Ciclosporin that dampens down the immune system or Fumaderm.

Some people would say that I,m monitored better than normal people.

Would this be a problem for a Class 1?

Thanks

Kinetic17
23rd Jul 2010, 15:23
Mate, what you need to do is make an annonimous call to a DAME and ask them. Anyone who is not a DAME is just guessing. Find out for sure.

gingernut
23rd Jul 2010, 21:59
I would have thought that the effect of treatment on your underlying condition, along with a stability in your blood profile over time will be your best friends:)

Fantome
24th Jul 2010, 08:37
Have you looked into alternative treatments? A friend with severe psoriasis took a holiday for three weeks, relaxed in the sun, swam in the sea, drank her fill of red wine ... . . .. the disease disappeared.

gingernut
24th Jul 2010, 10:45
Hmmm...:confused:

Of course midiman, I'm sure you're aware that exposure to sunlight (in excess) would be dangerous whilst on ciclosporin.

I'm imagining things have got pretty bad, if you're taking ciclosporin? I'm not sure Fantomes advice would be safe at the moment.

waco
25th Jul 2010, 14:47
Hi...as a fellow sufferer, who has worked in operations for too many years really. Work has resulted (fortunately) in lots of flying. Alas the dry air in the cabin plays havoc with my skin, making it very dry and uncomfortable.

I really wish you all the very best but just be aware those very early starts, late finnishes, lack of sleep, struggle to eat the foods you know you really should will have a huge effect on your skin. If you are using cyclo it must be pretty bad.....

If I was you and if you have not tried it before, have a go out diary free, wheat free and alcohol free, sleep loads and stay stress free!

As I say I really wish you the very best of luck, but if you are thinking about spending vast sums on training I would consider what is really involved in a flying career, since it is not Psoriais friendly.

I find it hard enough getting through everyday working in ops !

Feel free to PM me if I can help in anyway.