PDA

View Full Version : Memorial

Rocket2
23rd Jul 2010, 09:57
At great risk of opening old wounds, I am visiting family in Toronto soon & wondered if a memorial to XV239's crew was ever erected on the lake front? If so I would like to visit it & pay my respects to Gary & the other crew members who perished in the tragic accident. I note that the aircrafts fin was put on display at the Toronto Aerospace Museaum - is it still there?
Many thanks
R2

bobward
23rd Jul 2010, 11:49
The fin was certainly in the museum last September when we visited them.
A sad reminder of a very sad event

clunckdriver
23rd Jul 2010, 12:07
Rocket two, I dont think there is a memorial to this crash, in fact I dont think there are any such things on the lakeshore remembering the dozens of aircraft which have gone into the lake, my own CO is amoung those who got the chop just South of City Centre Airport{ Or the Island Airport, or Billy Bishop Airport among its many names} You may know of course that there was much training going on in this region during the BCAT, as would be expected there were many aircraft which went in along the lake during this period.The only plaque I know of comemorates "Little Norway" as City Centre was the first home of the RNAF during WW2 before moving to Muskoka. Sorry I cant be of more help.

Duncan D'Sorderlee
23rd Jul 2010, 12:12
RIP Bernie 'Spoof King' Worthington et al

Duncs:ok:

clunckdriver
25th Jul 2010, 16:45
Rocket 2, Back from Toronto yesterday, none of my sources were aware of a memorial to your friends, Sorry.

BEagle
25th Jul 2010, 18:45
For those unfamiliar with the loss of XV239, see http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/E8F52B21-1DB3-4DBE-B66A-60AE4ABEA53E/0/maas95_06_nimrod_mr2_xv239_2sept95.pdf

Rocket2
26th Jul 2010, 08:41
Many thanks to those who responded, I'll try to get to the museum.
R2

Rocket2
19th Oct 2010, 09:40
Just to say a big thank you to the staff at the wonderful Toronto Air & Space Museum who were so friendly & willing to spend a lot of their valuable time talking with myself & Mrs. R2, the memorial that they have set up, including the fin, really set the eyes watering. As an aside we also cast some sunflowers into Lake Ontario more or less in line where they perished.
RIP chaps
R2