PDA

View Full Version : Renewing UK JAA Class 1 in Spain

7574ever
22nd Jul 2010, 19:56
Hi!

I have a UK issued JAA Class 1 and have always done my renewals in the UK. I am now living in Spain so I need to renew my medical here, and so I intended today! When I arrived at the doctor's office there were very surprised that I had a foreign medical and, after some deliberation, decided that they would not do my renewal until I called the DGAC and obtained permission from them :confused:

I was really confused as my licence is UK issued and this was just a standard renewal, and told them that the whole point of having a european licence is so people can do their stuff all across Europe but to no avail. Apparently they do not trust an officially issued original UK medical certificate but they'll be happy if the DGAC (who don't have any info on me really) say it's ok!!

So I'll have to call the DGAC and see what the heck they tell me about it, but all I know is I have wasted two hours of driving and I'm not sure I am going to be able to renew my medical in this country, so what's the point of JAA/EASA licences then??

Anybody can share similar experiences?? Anyone has done a JAA medical renewal in Spain and had similar problems?

Cheers!

maggot738
22nd Jul 2010, 20:50
Don't bother with the Spanish medicals. Jump the first available flight back to the UK and do your medical there. You will save yourself a whole lot of grief.

Kelly Hopper
23rd Jul 2010, 06:49
I'm doing my medical renewals in Europe every year and no problems at all. I think you were probably just unlucky and had an AME who has never come across this before. UK CAA have a list of practices outside UK who can do it. It may be on the website.
"What's the point of JAR?" Beats me!!! How about a validation requirement to fly another JAR member registered a/c?!!! FRENCH! :eek:

7574ever
23rd Jul 2010, 08:16
Thanks for the replies! I finally just called the DGAC and they told me what I was expecting them to: "your medical is valid here and our is valid there, why on earth did they tell you to call here?"

So it definitely is a case of a crappy AME...

Magott, can you elaborate on that grief?? Catching a flight to the UK at this time of the year is a bit pricey...

MikePapa
23rd Jul 2010, 13:58
Many European based pilots fly in to Stansted to see Dr Orton who is based at the airport. If you are able to get a cheap flight over there is a free shuttle bus link to his place.

maggot738
24th Jul 2010, 13:30
I know a guy renewed his medical in Spain and reported previous problems as required. He had to wait 6 weeks for the DGAC to clear a " previously reported and no change since" condition before they would issue his medical. I travel back to the UK every year and do my medical. Same AME, walk in walk out no stress no hassle. But hey, everybodies story is different.
Cheers
Maggot

Nightstop
24th Jul 2010, 13:54
If you're a Class 1 Professional with a UK medical don't ever consider getting your renewal done in Spain. Go back to the UK, as suggested above. Even someone with no "complications" can expect long delays before the certificate is issued, meanwhile you're at risk of losing valuable income waiting for the certificate to be issued.

RIP Dr Wallace, AME Bishops Stortford.