PDA

View Full Version : Fedex 757 CDG base

mmeteesside
22nd Jul 2010, 17:24
I see the first 757 came across to CDG the other day - any idea which route they'll be using it on?
Presume its to upgrade an ATR route leading to shuffles in the feeders?

fr8doggie
22nd Jul 2010, 18:42
Replacing A-310's on certain routes. No crew base in Europe at this time. All crews D/H to and from Europe.

Flightmech
22nd Jul 2010, 21:03
The first 757 will cover the CDG-BCN route. Later VIE and BUD. They will be arriving one a month from the US. The 757's will replace the A310's in the EMEA region, so non-long haul trunk flights will be a 757/A300-600 mix

oceancrosser
26th Jul 2010, 10:15
And these intra European flights will be crewed by... you guessed it Americans! :ugh:

despegue
26th Jul 2010, 11:49
European jobs for JAA-licenced pilots!
Sorry, but FAA Yankees,go home...

Flightmech
26th Jul 2010, 18:37
Yawn yawn. I suppose an equipment change has given the opportunity to drag this up again:ugh: The original question was what routes the aircraft were going to be used on, so lets just stick to it :p

411A
26th Jul 2010, 20:54
And these intra European flights will be crewed by... you guessed it Americans!

Of course they will be crewed by Americans...FedEx is an American company.
Gee, what a surprise.:rolleyes:

despegue
26th Jul 2010, 21:22
And Anheuser Bush Inbev is mainly Belgian/ Brazilian owned, does that mean they should employ mainly Belgians and Brazilians in their US breweries/factories/theme-parks?

411A
26th Jul 2010, 22:35
...does that mean they should employ mainly Belgians and Brazilians...
Not unless they have the proper visas....which is quite unlikely.:bored:
By not basing, but rotating, FedEx can get away with it.
Eurolanders will just have to lump it.

nicolai
26th Jul 2010, 23:04
By not basing, but rotating, FedEx can get away with it.
Eurolanders will just have to lump it.

The French taxman may not see it the same way, as Easyjet found out, and they weren't even trying it on as hard as FedEx will be. If the same American faces show up in CDG as often as if they are regular crew there, the taxman may come and say hello, and it's downhill from there on in...

411A
27th Jul 2010, 00:06
the taxman may come and say hello, and it's downhill from there on in...

Maybe.
However, I believe FedEx has a foreign tax equilization sceme, whereby the compajny picks up any excess foreign tax liability for their US employees.
Many American companies have this arrangement, and I have worked for several...mostly corporate flying, whilst based overseas.

J.I.P
27th Jul 2010, 10:43
Of course they will be crewed by Americans...FedEx is an American company.
Gee, what a surprise.:rolleyes:

And all DHL pilots should be german since the time that DP took over DHL???

And all Cargolux and Luxair planes should be crewed by luxembourgians??
I Wonder if they have enough pilots in Luxembourg...

And all the employees of FedEx worldwide (groundhandlers, vandrivers, post sorters, office personell, cleaners, etc etc etc) should be Americans?

And all the employees in the Vatican should be Vatican?

And all the little children in Bangladesh sowing Nike shoes for 20 cents a day should be American little children?

6000PIC
27th Jul 2010, 11:25
The bargaining authority the USA employed in the past with respect to aviation bilaterals is gone , as is the bully tactics and double standards aimed at levelling the playing field in their direction.
Time for Europe to grow to bollocks and reassert its authority. Paris based N- registered 757`s should be F - registered with all appropriate taxes paid , and employment law adhered too.

411A
27th Jul 2010, 11:50
Time for Europe to grow to bollocks and reassert its authority. Paris based N- registered 757`s should be F - registered with all appropriate taxes paid , and employment law adhered too.

Hardly likely, unless FedEx leased the aeroplanes to a French company. Don't hold your breath.:rolleyes:

Trash 'n' Navs
27th Jul 2010, 20:40
OK, I'll bite.

It just seems to me that sending crews D/H from US to FR to operate the 757 doesn't present the best value-for-money. Why insist on US crews only? Can't be the N-reg or a corporation tax benefit so must be an internal decision, in which case is it top down (mgmt) or bottom up (crew)?

I hope it's not because "we've always done it that way" and there's a sound economic argument for it...

Flightmech - I'm not having a go, just genuinely curious.

RoyHudd
27th Jul 2010, 22:27
Used to fly British-registered a/c for Fedex from CDG to MAD in the 90's. Brit crews, paid in UK, taxed in UK. What difference with the Yanks? (Please don't say Europe)

dieselsix
27th Jul 2010, 23:39
People this is not rocket science. The Fedex pilots obviously has a strong union looking out for its members.

daveyb
28th Jul 2010, 23:17
From what i can remember all feeder routes within Europe are operated by the likes of ACL/West Air Swedan,when fedex wanted to introduce a bigger acft into the feeder network they needed to get approval from their pilots.
Also how come the likes of UPS still use European reg acft&crew rather than go the Fedex route and use N-Reg acft&crew?.

jackdaniels
6th Aug 2010, 07:40
gents,
do you know if these European flights will be dispatched from the U.S or if FX has an ops center in europe?
tks
JD

Flightmech
6th Aug 2010, 15:26
FedEx does have GOCC (Global Operations Control Centre) in CDG, but all FDX flight releases come from the GOCC bunker in MEM

falconflier
9th Aug 2010, 00:16
When Iberia operated a mini-hub in Miami with based DC9-30s (later MD-87s), spanish crews and EC-registered aircraft were used. What's the difference?

wind check
9th Aug 2010, 06:43
I have nothing against the yankies flying in Europe on a N-reg aircraft, after all Fedex is their own business so they do what they want, but I wonder why DHL in the USA is flown by non-european with non european registration :ouch:
You see the difference ? The yanks are clever, the European are assh.oles:ugh:

411A
9th Aug 2010, 08:22
DHL in the USA is flown by non-european with non european registration

What's left of DHL, that is.
Keep in mind that DHL was (originally) an American aircarrier, formed by three individuals...and I knew one of them...Adrian Delsey, the 'D' in DHL.
A super guy.

wind check
9th Aug 2010, 12:39
I thought DHL was dutch originally !! (as well as TNT)

hvydriver
9th Aug 2010, 14:52
Nope, DHL started as a US company at KSFO in 1969. Dalsey, Hillblom, and Lynn moved the company overseas when the IRS started trying to tax them on product movement that didn't touch the US.

KBPsen
9th Aug 2010, 21:00
A good friend of Delsey. I bet he knows Sam Sonite as well.

Impressive_Wingspan
10th Aug 2010, 00:39
And his brother, the legendary Tu Mi

chimbu warrior
10th Aug 2010, 03:20
I thought DHL was dutch originally !! (as well as TNT)

TNT was originally an Australian company (Thomas Nationwide Transport). They expanded into Europe in the 80's & 90's, a little too ambitiously, and ran into difficulties. They were eventually taken over by the Dutch postal service (KPN I believe it is) about 12 years ago.

trashhauler
11th Aug 2010, 15:25
All releases for all flights come from Memphis but I would hardly call it a bunker. More like one heck of an operation. They own the 3rd and 4th floors of the "Gucci building"

411A
11th Aug 2010, 16:14
FedEx at MEM is one heck of an operation, and they are very helpful to others....as I found out one early morning when I neded an air starter.
A turbine huffer that was large enough to start all three engines at one time was rolled up, and when I asked 'how much do we owe you', the answer was...'nothing, our pleasure'.

Skystar02
11th Aug 2010, 18:06
Falconflyer,

"When Iberia operated a mini-hub in Miami with based DC9-30s (later MD-87s), spanish crews and EC-registered aircraft were used. What's the difference?"

I'll tell you in other way. Do you know why Iberia is not longer operating a hub in MIA? Because USA administration does not like to operate any route unless you are americans. Otherwise you will find out a lot of problems and pressure coming from your american airlines. :ugh:

FEDEX is operating in Europe, let's play the same rules you do in USA with foreign companies. For sure you will complain about that.

brokepilot
11th Aug 2010, 19:18
I think Air France does flights from KMIA to MTPP and such . Inter carrib in a 320.

Snoop
11th Aug 2010, 20:27
I have no problems with the Americans at all. Just like us they want to do their job and go home to their families, friends and life away from work. I respect and admire the way that they protect their interests through strong union representation. However America is America and Europe is not a colony or dependency. In America it is American jobs for American pilots, which is perfectly fair. In Europe we have European pilots out of work. European companies cannot operate in or around the American continent with a fraction of the freedoms that American carriers enjoy operating within Europe. This is not a free or fair environment in which the companies that employ myself and my friends operate. I watch with disgust at the limp wristed and self serving actions of the European pilots unions. There appears to be no cohesive attempts in sorting this inequality and redressing this situation into a balanced outcome.

We have only ourselves to blame for not pushing those we pay a portion of our wages every month into looking after us. I also believe that we as Europeans will not push or do anything to redress this imbalance other than moan about it to each other in the bar. Until we actually grow a set and do something about it, let’s enjoy the beer in the bar and not waste to much time moaning, we have only our unions and ourselves to blame.

Flightmech
11th Aug 2010, 21:21
trashhauler,

I'm aware it's not an actual bunker, thats just one of it's nicknames, as is the "Gucci" building you mentioned.

fr8doggie
12th Aug 2010, 00:03
Why do you guys have your panties in such a wad?

FedEx has been doing this for close to 20 years. First it was 727s, then with A-310s. Now it's a mix of '-310s and 757s. Basically, we are just exercising our "fifth freedom" rights. Last time I checked Europe was not a single country.

EurEx is quite free to open a hub in Wichita and fly to other countries in North and South America. You could deadhead your crews back and forth from Europe. Why, you could even connect it with your vast air network serving pretty much the entire civilized world!

That's pretty much what FedEx does.

And once again: FedEx does NOT (presently) have a crew base in Europe.

gtf
12th Aug 2010, 17:20
I don't think FedEx pilots on intra-Europe will go away anytime soon. More likely is they will be used as bargaining chip by EU next time around to get what EU airlines really want: the right to acquire US carriers. The actual outcome of such a grand bargain actually depends a lot on who runs the US Congress.

I think Air France does flights from KMIA to MTPP and such . Inter carrib in a 320.Not quite the same. Routing is KMIA-MTPP-TFFF. This is 5th freedom traffic. FedEx intra EU flights is 7th freedom traffic.

14th Aug 2010, 19:57
Europe is not a country. At least not yet. And until then FDX can operate international flights through CDG just like TNT could operate international flights out of, say, Chicago (and they are in fact free to do so).

The day may come when "Europe" has one seat in the United Nations, one set of Olympics teams and one national government. And at that point FDX will have a problem.

I personally think that the sooner it happens the better. But to compare the United States to "Europe" in 2010 is deeply flawed.

411A
14th Aug 2010, 20:06
I personally think that the sooner it happens the better.

However, it won't, simply because...those nations have never gotten along, and it will never happen...far too much bickering between.
EU....is in name only, and its all coming unraveled due the the Greece (etc)fiasco.
We, on the westen side of the Atlantic, can only laugh.:}

The Range
14th Aug 2010, 20:47
411A,

You can only laugh of what?

Have you seen how the finances of California are?

B-HKD
14th Aug 2010, 21:05
However, it won't, simply because...those nations have never gotten along, and it will never happen...far too much bickering between.
EU....is in name only, and its all coming unraveled due the the Greece (etc)fiasco.
We, on the westen side of the Atlantic, can only laugh.

:ok:

411A,

You can only laugh of what?

Have you seen how the finances of California are?

California economy ranking among world economies - California Economy | EconPost (http://econpost.com/californiaeconomy/california-economy-ranking-among-world-economies)

Gross Domestic Product (GDP) in $ trillion

United States (14.16) since California is in this list, this figure should be (12.31)
Japan (4.91)
China (4.33)
Germany (3.65)
France (2.86)
United Kingdom (2.68)
Italy (2.3)
California (1.85)
Russia (1.68)
Spain (1.6)

The Range.... 411A clearly knows the finances of California far better than you do.

Greece:
GDP: $339 Billion
Debt: $552 Billion

California:
GDP: $1.8 Trillion
Debt: $84 Billion

In Cali they talk about the end of the world. In Greece it was all business as usual just a few months ago.

411A knows his sh*t. Be it about flying or $$$ :D

gtf
16th Aug 2010, 17:24
Europe is not a country. At least not yet.True, but you forget that any two countries (or 27) can agree together on the rules governing air traffic between their countries, and there's very little to keep them from deciding that N-registered aircraft cannot carry goods between them, for example. Doesn't matter how many football teams at the World Cup or seats at the UN...

In Cali they talk about the end of the world. In Greece it was all business as usual just a few months ago.Lies, damn lies and statistics. Actually, not contesting the accuracy of these numbers, just saying that one can find numbers to back up one's argument one way or the other. Greece's total public debt is half of California's. California's per capita GDP isn't that impressive either, just in the US, 9 states do better, in the EU, 15 countries do better (Greece not one of them)...

Best to say, I think, that both California and Greece are in a very, very deep hole...

The Range
16th Aug 2010, 18:11
And now blame it on California's governor being an european.

17th Aug 2010, 01:22
True, but you forget that any two countries (or 27) can agree together on the rules governing air traffic between their countries, and there's very little to keep them from deciding that N-registered aircraft cannot carry goods between them, for example. Doesn't matter how many football teams at the World Cup or seats at the UN...

Which would be the same as banning G-, F- and/or D- aircraft from operating between NAFTA countries.

mmeteesside
20th Sep 2010, 10:42
I see the 2nd 757 is now in service, flying Basle and Barcelona routes. Only 2 A310's left - one at Paris and one at Cologne ?

ChicagoHeights
21st Sep 2010, 20:49
Hello not quite the cargo airline but what do you guys think of Aer Lingus flying United airlines routes? this saw this the other day in Barcelona....

gtf
21st Sep 2010, 22:33
Only 2 A310's left - one at Paris and one at Cologne ?
I count three. Two in Paris (MAD and VIE/BUD) and one in Cologne. Not a visual count, just looking at scheds.

Which would be the same as banning G-, F- and/or D- aircraft from operating between NAFTA countries.
In theory, but far less likely (NAFTA is a much looser, trade-only, union than the EU) and far less effective (a handful of Cargolux/Lufthansa flights).

Flightmech
21st Sep 2010, 22:38
801, 802 (both 310-300's) and 447 are still operating in EMEA. 456 is currently on C' Check with TAP in LIS.