PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Golf Open at Saint Andrews

spencer17
21st Jul 2010, 06:55
First the good points:
-ground crew to load/unload was very good.:ok:
-fire cover and rescue service (not tested in action) also fine.
-r/t communication good, but the range of the radio was very limited at times.

Now the bad points:
-catering for crews consisted of a kettle, soluble coffee, teabags, milk and sugar straight out of a bag in which everybody stuck his wet spoon. After a few hours the sugar was wet and looked :yuk:
-No sandwiches or other food provided.
-Crews had to beg for transportation into town to get something to eat. Only if you're lucky, you would get a car.
-a single, old telly (you could hardly see anything on) for entertaining the operating and visiting crews.

Overall:
-very annoying. There is better service possible.

Before someone asks: Yes I've been to other events (Formula One, etc.) and the service was excellent.
There should be better service possible.

OvertHawk
21st Jul 2010, 07:46
Who ran the site this year?

stereojet
21st Jul 2010, 18:33
I think it was company called Helimates.
The standard of facilities for pilots at the Open has plummeted over the years, but this was the worst set up I have encountered. I believe that landing fees were around£45 per aircraft seat, empty or full , so lack of income should not have been a factor.
I hope the heli operators communicate pilot's displeasure to Royal and Ancient who, one presumes, have some say in who runs the whole deal.
Guys on the ground doing unloading did a good job though.

Jarvy
21st Jul 2010, 19:02
Yes its a company called Helimates. Its very hard to make any money at the open (I have been involved in 3) but this is no reason for not supplying some service for the pilots.
I was last involved in 2006 at Hoylake and would like to think the service was better then, but we just broke even.
Heres hoping it will be better at Sandwich.