PDA

View Full Version : Pay-to-Fly

Punchoo
21st Jul 2010, 04:29
Hi,

I would like to seek some help from the members about the Pay-to-Fly thing that is going on these days. (I heard it from someone). I am a private pilot on my way to Instruments and commercial. My current plan is to work as an instructor to build hours however, I heard of something called "Pay-To-Fly" from other students but no one seems to have any leads.

The concept is (as I have heard) that you pay an airline (say 50k) and they will give you the type rating in addition to some hundred(s) of hours in their actual aeroplanes (Boeing's or Airbus).

Is this really true? If it is then, can anyone help me (us) find out the websites or leads how to get in touch with these airlines or agents? Some googling keywords etc or websites would be appreciated.

Regards
Punchoo

G SXTY
21st Jul 2010, 06:52
I'll assume this is a serious question, and try and give you a considered answer before the inevitable happens.

Some airlines do indeed offer pay to fly schemes, but they only exist because there are enough people out there who are desperate and foolish enough to fall for it. Not for them the traditional route of instructing / GA flying / night freight to regional turboprops and jets. No, they are so determined to get into the right hand seat of a 737 or A320 with minimum hours that not only will they work for free, but they will actually PAY someone else for the privilege of being there.

They are happy (initially), the agent that places them is happy, the airline is obviously delighted. The people who aren't happy are the vast majority of other wannabes who won't or can't pay to fly, and are seeing their terms and conditions, and even their career prospects eroded by the selfish and deluded actions of a few.

Because, if you stop to think about it for a few moments, what will the airline do with you once you have finished your 250 or 500 hours or whatever you have paid for? Are they going to suddenly offer you a well paid job, now that you are 'experienced'? Or are they going to kick you out of the door to make way for the next person with a fistful of cash. (And anyone needing help to answer that question should not be let anywhere near an aeroplane). Ahh, you say, now I have my 500hrs Airbus time, I can go off and find a well paid job with someone else. Maybe you can, but maybe (and more likely IMHO) is that you will struggle to find anything decent, because you have now sent out a very clear signal to other employers that you are prepared to pay to fly, and are therefore unworthy of a big salary. They'll know from your CV that you are prepared to undercut everyone else to get the job – why should they pay you big bucks?

Already we are seeing people who have been through this type of scheme moaning about their new permanent terms and conditions, and completely failing spot the irony. Just in case it's not clear enough: PAY TO FLY SCHEMES WILL EVENTUALLY DAMAGE TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR EVERYONE, REGARDLESS OF AIRLINE OR LOCATION.

My advice is to stay well away and follow the more traditional and well-trodden routes to the airlines.

INNflight
21st Jul 2010, 07:20
Pay to Fly = cancer of aviation - google that sometime.

G SXTY gave a great cancer awareness speech though, so I'll go back to my cave to keep my blood pressure under control. :suspect:

Halfwayback
21st Jul 2010, 21:46
Punchoo

I think you have your question answered. It is an emotive subject and if you look through previous threads you will find a lot of information in this forum.

Before it generates the usual protaganists mud-slinging I am closing the thread!

HWB