PDA

View Full Version : Question for display pilots

wingisland
20th Jul 2010, 20:46
Obviously I spent last weekend at RIAT!

Just wondering a few things with display flying, partly out of interest, and partly because i want to move into competition aerobatics as soon as I can afford it!

With the smoke I vaguelly remember someone telling me on pistons they inject oil into the cylinders, is that the case, or do you always have smoke cylinders? Also how long does the smoke last for?

Is the smoke activated via the control column or a seperate switch retro fitted?

I know that the display has a certain box of airspace to perform in, i'm assuming its different for different displays (fast jets get a bigger area etc). For a pitts special (what I hope to fly in) how big would the box be?

When it comes to competition displays do you perform your own routine or are you given a routine to learn?

Any other information would be great

sycamore
20th Jul 2010, 21:06
The `oil` is usually fed into the exhaust pipe,by a pump or compressed air,operated electrically by a switch/button on the c-c or throttle,either an add-on,or redundant one.
There are other self contained smoke generators,just `google` Smokewinder`.
The display area will be decided by the Display Director using CAA Display criteria with regards to distances /heights/length of crowd line,and type of aircraft and their `type` of display,be it flypasts,aerobatics,formations ,and also crew`s experience.
For competion aerobatics ,you need to go to google again ,for `British Aerobatic Association`.....

bodypilot
20th Jul 2010, 21:28
Most smoke systems for piston aircraft use a mineral oil base (like baby oil) and consume about 1.5 gallons per minute of use. The oil is not burned in the exhaust gas but vaporized.