PDA

View Full Version : Air Clues - Where's Edition 3?

Madbob
20th Jul 2010, 17:05
As the Air Clues "sticky" has been closed I can't post this there, but as Edition 2 was dated January, isn't it about time that Edition 3 made an appearance?

ISTR Air Clues being a monthly publication, but what with a slimmed-down air force :( the RAF may have to make do with it being an annual, though as it is supposed to be a flight safety publication I expect that even if only one accident is prevented it will have paid for itself many times over....the bean-counters though don't always see expenditure in this way....:oh:.

It was also good for passing the time in the crewroom when the wx was crap, the jet u/s, or on Q and what is more it kept one in touch with the rest of the air force and was good for maintaining an esprit de corps.

IMHO it would be sad to see it being chopped (again) in the SDR.

MB

green granite
20th Jul 2010, 18:11
Just need to keep your eyes on: RAF - Air CluesAir Clues (http://www.raf.mod.uk/downloads/airclues.cfm)

Airbrake
20th Jul 2010, 18:21
I have been keeping my eyes on it since April... Does anybody actually know the next publication date?

In Support of Ops
20th Jul 2010, 18:40
Edition 3 is written and has been with the printers for a few months now, but there were some issues! (not with the printers I must add). Wg Cdr Spry had quite a bit to say and the publication had to be delayed because of a thing called PERDAH, apparently even Wg Cdr Spry cannot publish anything that could be used in a political argument. Once that was all done and dusted another attempt at publishing was made, sadly the foreword was written by the CinC (ACM Moran). It could not now be published until a new foreword had been written, then it had to wait for a slot at the printers. It will be out soon and then work will start on the winter edition!

cazatou
20th Jul 2010, 18:52
ISOO

Are you actually stating that the Primary Flight Safety Magazine of the RAF is reduced to 2 editions a year?

Are we now restricting the number of Aircrew Manuals to match the number of Airframes?

In Support of Ops
20th Jul 2010, 20:18
Caz!
Where have you been Mon Brave? Air Clues was mothballed years ago and has only just been relaunched. Sadly the manning support for Flight Safety has been truely disgraceful and the team of 50+ that used to be the Inspectorate of Flight Safety has been reduced to an established team of 9. (currently with 3 gapped posts). Air Clues is a result of the efforts of 1 bloke (not his primary job I must add) to get and collate all of the articles and arrange for the printing and distribution. Budgets are also an obstacle, the aspiration is for 4 per year and notwithstanding Perdah and Triathlon casualties should be achievable.

Regarding ACMs....what are they? There are far LESS than 1 per airframe these days. Its all computer based e books now. Crap to read, difficult to access and resulting in a commensurate reduction in systems knowledge.

Chinny Crewman
20th Jul 2010, 20:57
In keeping with the current theme within all Govt Departments issue 3 has been cut. Issue 4 will be published next quarter!

PPRuNe Pop
21st Jul 2010, 09:47
I understand that there are 'in-house' difficulties. What the nature of those difficulties are I am not privy to.

If and when edition 3 appears I will post it as before.

PPP

Chugalug2
21st Jul 2010, 13:20
ISOO:
Crap to read, difficult to access and resulting in a commensurate reduction in systems knowledge.
You seem to be someone who cares, knows what is needed but battling against a dysfunctional system. I suspect that there are many others like you. All I can say is do not despair, keep caring and fight on. Never surrender, never, never, never!