PDA

View Full Version : Selecting a US Flight school for Asia

islandeast
19th Jul 2010, 14:25
Hey there guys,
I am new as a poster but have been reading for the last few weeks. I have no licenses but I love flying with friends and family as well as in an ultralight. I’m not really concerned about making a lot of money as a pilot, I really just want to fly, simple as that. However, money is tight especially in this economy. So as I’m a US citizen I will need to attend a school/academy in the US that accepts federal student aid. This greatly reduces my choices. Delta Connection Academy is on my list, but to be honest I have heard about 70% con and only 30% pro…so that puts me off a bit. Flight Safety doesn’t accept federal aid and most universities will force me to get another 4-year degree. Another issue is that I have no real intention of pursuing a flying career inside the US. Having lived in Hong Kong for several years I would prefer to fly in HK. So what is the best way to get the training to do this? It is better to do FAA or JAA as it relates to Hong Kong? I have tried the Cathay Pacific Cadet Programme but with no success. Also, I’m leaning towards, rotary as opposed to fixed-wing. Any good advice would be great.

ReverseFlight
19th Jul 2010, 17:57
I'd be brutally honest with you - you sound really confused indeed. And trying to jump into helicopters just because CX has dumped you is like jumping from the wok into the burning fire. Don't do it ! The grass always appear greener on the other side of the fence until you get to the other side, and besides, helicopter training is far more expensive than fixed wing.

Don't think of HK as your first stop. It will become your crowning glory later down the line if you work hard enough. There is no GA in HK as a stepping stone so don't train in HK (I don't call Day VFR circuits in a single engined aeroplane "GA"). Go and get a JAR/ICAO/FAA CPL licence and build a couple of thousand quality flying hours after your MECIR (and by that I don't mean just Day VFR circuits in a single) before even contemplating a place like HK. Go where the jobs take you; you don't pick the geographical location. That's the nature of the industry.

Your primary problem appears to be financing. USA is just about the cheapest place on earth for flight training and if you can't afford it now, earn some money doing something else before commencing your flight training.