PDA

View Full Version : Regional Aviation Group Getting an ATR42?

Skystar320
19th Jul 2010, 14:23
Suprised that this hasn't hit the rumour monger mill which is ripe on pprune.

Who has the goss that Regional Aviation Group [Hevilift PNG & Australia operator] getting the ATR42?

Regional Aviation Group vacancies (http://regionalaviationgroup.currentjobs.com.au/page/regional-aviation-group-vacancies.html)

feetonthedash
19th Jul 2010, 22:10
Make that 2 x ATR'S........................this company is really powering ahead
:ok::ok::ok:

geeup
19th Jul 2010, 22:35
Have they arrived yet :E

bizzybody
20th Jul 2010, 02:15
Is tthis a bit of a slap in the face, I thought this company owned Regional Pacific Airlines that went belly up last week. Can't they use that money to bail out one of their own

geeup
20th Jul 2010, 02:32
I believe they sold the Australian Braz / otter / islander part some years ago.

Difference between Regional Pacific and Regional Aviation in Cairns.

Capt Claret
20th Jul 2010, 05:18
Not ex Macair ATRs already parked at Cairns, are they?

AxelPNG
20th Jul 2010, 05:28
"Suprised that this hasn't hit the rumour monger mill which is ripe on PPRuNe"

Hang on, I posted this on the PNG Ples bilong tok tok thread on the 16th :ok:

geeup
27th Aug 2010, 04:20
Interesting looks like both ATRs have VH regos not the P2 :ooh:

tourismman
27th Aug 2010, 08:41
Yes both in Cairns now.In Trans Maldivian colours .

Che cows with guns
27th Aug 2010, 11:38
Are the rego's concerned VH-FLE and VH-FLH. I wonder where they are bound?

spirax
27th Aug 2010, 12:03
Hevilift have both aircraft. Rego's are just stick-on's pending P2 CofA I suggest....

Che cows with guns
28th Aug 2010, 04:17
I would suggest you are right. Both are in Hevilift PNG colours.
Interesting.

geeup
29th Aug 2010, 22:57
So who is their lead pilot for the ATR project?

Waghi Warrior
30th Aug 2010, 00:04
Probably a Kiwi Helicopter Pilot :p

Jethro Gibbs
31st Aug 2010, 11:16
Are these the ATRs in cairns the ones that need a large amount of work done with a poorly equipped workshop to do it.:eek:

geeup
1st Sep 2010, 20:55
Yep the ones Hawkers are working on.

Ricky Bobby
13th Sep 2010, 01:11
Heard on the grapevine that PMG will be demoted to C&T???

Night Beetle
13th Sep 2010, 01:55
A "Force" to be reckoned with in any capacity.

Waghi Warrior
13th Sep 2010, 05:09
Well I figure that Mad Dog won't be able to wear the CP's cap as I'm pritty sure he hasn't had the experience on A/C above 5700 kgs. Having said that he still deserves the respect and this shouldn't be treated as a demotion.

Are they going to keep all the existing F/W fleet ? There was talk of the company selling off both the BE20s.

There is also a rumour going around that a few PX pilots are interested in moving over to Hevilift.

Waghi Warrior
14th Sep 2010, 11:19
Most airlines with multiple fleets have fleet captains/managers who are answerable to the CP and people above. I can't see why they wouldn't make PM the DH6/BE20 fleet manager. In that role he "should" still have all the powers that he has now. The ATR operation will no doubt have to be ran as a seperate operation to some extent anyway.

How far off are the aircraft from arriving in PNG ????

Killer Loop
15th Sep 2010, 06:58
PMG/Mad Dog recently sat down with people who know about these things and ticked every single box that is needed to remain as the Chief with the ATR's. He has all the requirements. He and many others know this is not the problem. The problem lies elsewhere.

Waghi Warrior
29th Nov 2010, 02:35
What's the latest with the ATR 42s,are they still coming or was it all a rumour/bullsh!t as it's all gone a bit quite ?

geeup
29th Nov 2010, 14:12
Is there a ATR with a purple tail in Cairns? :confused:

feetonthedash
30th Nov 2010, 01:08
Yep..........due in Paradise this week I hear :p

Waghi Warrior
30th Nov 2010, 07:21
I hear the PNG CASA now want to go to France for a free jaunt on Hevilift. I thought Airlink done all the ground work on this.

triadic
2nd Dec 2010, 10:18
http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq325/hangar6/Aviation/DSC07209.jpg

Official welcome in POM around the 10th Dec.

Ricky Bobby
2nd Dec 2010, 19:34
Welcome on the 10th? Apparently it's scheduled to start work on 6th??

Has Hevilift even received its Part 121??

geeup
3rd Dec 2010, 00:16
The things you see on pprune :ok:
Now has anyone see a schedule :E

Waghi Warrior
3rd Dec 2010, 22:25
Very nice looking paint job. I heard from a reliable insider that it's supposed to start ops on the 6th,based at Lihir Island and operating up through to the highlands MON-FRI. Although they still have to do proving flights.

I think they have had a Part 121 approval for years with the Dash 8 on it, although they have never had the need to exercise the approval up until now.

Just hope they have pilots flying the aircraft with PNG experience,or else it could turn very ugly very quick in the Highlands. Not a place for newcomers to learn the footprint of the land in such a high performance aircraft,regardless if they have trillions of hours on type.

NCD
4th Dec 2010, 10:23
....supposed to start ops on the 6th,based at Lihir Island

How is that going to work, there is bugger all parking as it is!

frigatebird
4th Dec 2010, 16:57
So what is the serial number and ownership history ? Year first delivered ? First and subsequent operators, etc ? Anyone know ?

Waghi Warrior
4th Dec 2010, 19:31
APNG's Dash 8 service is going to be replaced with the ATR 42.

PJV contract next ?

geeup
6th Dec 2010, 02:38
Hevilift have never had a part 121 with current owners.
They had all the paper work sorted for a Dash8 or PMG did :O
ATR different beast and PMG left out of loop :ugh:

geeup
6th Dec 2010, 02:52
What about APNGs 72?
Is it on the P2 register yet?
Or on their AOC?

walgi
7th Dec 2010, 10:06
I hear on the grapevine more ATR's for APNG/SKYTRANS.
More dash 8's. So the problem with putting the plane on p2 register must be just about done

ResumeOwnNav
7th Dec 2010, 11:05
More -8's for APNG? 100s?

Capt Claret
7th Dec 2010, 11:06
Taxied behind Balus-xx this morning @ CNS, pretty sure it was P2 Reg.

geeup
7th Dec 2010, 21:27
Well if thats the case I guess they have their AOC all sorted.

Which begs the question "did they do any proving flights"?
And all their ATR pilots have PNG license?
If so how did they get the ATR endo on the license?
Where did their pilots do the initial endos?

I'm not starting a fight people I would just be interested to know the answers.

ZFT
7th Dec 2010, 21:34
CASA PNG qualified AATC Bangkok for Hevilift training and checking some 2 weeks ago.

geeup
7th Dec 2010, 22:06
Thanks ZFT I am aware of the Hevilift position.
I was asking in regard to the APNG operation.

ZFT
7th Dec 2010, 23:30
Apologises - misunderstood your Q

Waghi Warrior
8th Dec 2010, 00:34
Good to see CASA PNG gave the sim in Bangkok the thumbs up.

In relation to the APNG machine,they did do proving flights before they used it commercially. Not to sure if it's now on the PNG register yet though,although I believe some of their drivers have held PNG licences for years. I did hear several months ago from an APNG engineer,that the owners of the ATR were reluctant to put it on the PNG register for some reason. Maybe they don't want to pay the import duty ? If they don't import it,I can't see it being around to much longer,unless it turns into a Russian helicopter !

Ricky Bobby
8th Dec 2010, 08:35
APNG's ATR72 is not on PNG register, 1 Malaysian flight crew member required on board each flight.

PJV is shaky but secure for now for APNG as Hevilift short on Twin Otters and no 2nd, let alone 1st ATR up and running.

Will be an expensive and painful learning experience on Part 121 ops.

geeup
8th Dec 2010, 11:13
Understood ZFT some have suggested English is not my first language especially after a few SP. :}

May have been the same engineers talking about gravel kits or new 72s and landing on non sealed stripes?

Night Beetle
8th Dec 2010, 18:35
'Great' lets bash the buggers back to where they belong.

Disappointing but to be expected.

Seat warmers forever.

Duck Pilot
8th Dec 2010, 19:44
I'm sure Hevilft or even maybe Air Niugini would have some interest in aquiring the contract that the ATR 72 is doing.

I have no doubt that these operators and CASA PNG are aware of the ATR 72s see you later day if it's not imported to PNG. No doubt CASA in Australia are also keeping an eye on the calander as well.

Geeup,your not trying to say that there might be some complience issue in relation to the gravel kit are you ?

geeup
8th Dec 2010, 21:47
It was hinted to me that there is a problem with fitting gravel kits and compliance but I'm not sure if it was the PNG or Malaysian side.

Night Beetle I don't get it? Who are you bashing?

swaziboy
16th Dec 2010, 08:09
A very brief visitor in AYMH yesterday... a bit of fanfare and even a welcome shower from the resident fire truck... was fairly relieved to know that it works!

http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx110/Dwayne_Elderkin/tnt013.jpg

Trex wantok
16th Jan 2011, 22:42
Hey Icefuf,
Congratz my nigger for getting on the ATR well done parada well done:ok:Enjoy the tours hope to catch up with at Alfredos for coffee

Waghi Warrior
6th Apr 2011, 06:51
Sounds like there could be a few Twin Otter pilots about to defect to APNG including a very high ranking one. If there is any truth in this rumour, I recon it's exactly what APNG need. I just hope the chiefs in Cairns realize the implications this could possibly have on flight standards within the real fixed wing fleet. The real fixed wing fleet doesn't incorporate ATR 42s !

Looks like APNG could be on a good thing here, might be a good time to buy some shares.

CI300
8th Apr 2011, 08:02
Any truth to the rumour Waghi? Why yes...

Ricky Bobby
13th Apr 2011, 02:06
Is it true that none of the ATR captain's have previous PNG experience??? Even Travelair has been smarter than that.

A whole lotta truth Waghi, Hevilift/Regional Air fixed wing will never be the same with that man at the helm. The company does not realise what they have done.

Waghi Warrior
13th Apr 2011, 06:27
Sad indeed, however it's got none of my business I guess.
I don't really think the directors will ever understand what they have done. Beats the hell out of me how they can get contracts with pilots who have no PNG time.

macdonaldjames93
15th Apr 2011, 06:04
From what I've heard the boss man thinks he can counter that by hiring captains with ATR experience:rolleyes: He hire a Dash-8 F/O from APNG to show their captains how to get around the country :D. This particular F/O did the crew briefing for the captains on the proving flight and just recently a flight to Moro. Im hoping they're paying this poor guy for his extra F/Os duties, and not just baiting him with tours,good salary and a promise of a command this year. What happen when the mine wants a flight to a place where the F/O is never been to like Mendi or Tari etc who's gonna do the briefing then?:confused:
OK not to be too negative they do have their up side they're offering $150AUD for capt on tours and $86-89AUD for F/Os on tours, something that Pixie and APNG cant match so the boss man has done one thing right:ok:
I have two old mate flying there..... hope all goes well with their Ops

Waghi Warrior
15th Apr 2011, 08:34
A few single engine circuits with a couple of overshoots at Chimbu will get the Captain's PNG highlands skills sharpened up pritty quick. PX does it !

:ok:

Lapunkapten
15th Apr 2011, 09:42
Im so disgusted by all this Ive put down my beer and giving the Yachty a miss tonight.

Dog is an ex-colleague and a mate. He has given his all for the company and no one, NO ONE is a better chief pilot. He has unbelievable work ethic, expects the highest standards from his crew and genuinely cares for them. Paperwork has always been immaculate and he still flies the line to max hours every year. He is irreplacable.

I remember when Regional Air/Hevilift were the highest paid DHC6 pilots around. Now I hear they are the lowest paid?. No wonder pilots are walking to the opposition.

Waghi Id be impressed if they could pronounce Chimbu, let alone spot it from their usual cruising altitudes.

Killer Loop
15th Apr 2011, 10:52
What Lapunkapten said........ Pete was given no choice though; this is just the final act of a tragedy that has been acted out at Hevilift for a couple of years now. APNG have made an astute move and they will benefit while Hevilift will falter. On a positive note a broader group of pilots will benefit from Pete's vast knowledge of aviation in PNG but I do feel sorry for the Hevilift drivers, the depth of their loss is only just beginning to sink in.

Waghi Warrior
16th Apr 2011, 06:58
Not to sure who you are Lapun however you have taken the words out of my mouth.

Pete is the only checkie I have flown with who has torn strips off me for f*****g up in a check, and still be able to put everything aside and have a few beers afterwoods. Pete is a pilots chief pilot !

Is the big fella (JC) still with them at TBL ?

psycho joe
16th Apr 2011, 08:00
+ 1

Probably the best description of this this person came from another pilot when I first started in PNG;

'SIMPLY PUT, THE PILOT'S HERE WOULD TAKE A BULLET FOR P.M.'

:ok:

geeup
2nd May 2011, 07:20
macdonaldjames93 who told you that crap?

Mendi Tari my money is on the other FO has been in and out of those places a few times and many other places around PNG with out to much trouble and probably still could find his way around today.

I reckon he wouldn't have had to hold at the Tabubil Navaid for 20mins trying to get in... Perhaps ALL the ATR crew should spend a day in the life of an otter (before they write reports) :=

My money is on the FOs upgrades wont happen in the near future :} if at all.

Good on Dog for standing his ground and good luck to him in the future.:D

Tailslider
6th Jul 2011, 09:27
I heard recently that the second ATR isn't going to be online anytime soon? Crappy frame and no bits?? Has anyone heard any more??

Skystar320
6th Jul 2011, 11:50
http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-general-aviation-questions/456494-hevilift-png-terms-conditions.html#post6555238

Mach E Avelli
23rd Jun 2012, 06:08
To set the record straight, the previous Chief Pilot was not sacked. He split when they changed the contract remuneration arrangements on short notice and without the opportunity to negotiate. He gave them a week to reconsider, then his notice was equally short and just as un-negotiable.

Lando Calrissian
23rd Jun 2012, 08:00
Mach I believe The Donne may be referring to the following Chief Pilot...

Jock p
24th Jun 2012, 09:21
I heard the PJV contract hasn't been decided yet but please correct me if i'm wrong. Anyone know how the crewing numbers are on the ATR? I heard quite a few had left recently

j3pipercub
13th Aug 2012, 05:00
I find the ATR story a little hard to believe. If it is all functioning, an ATR Ice detector will start getting cranky in light cloud tops, let alone serious icing conditions.

Mach E Avelli
13th Aug 2012, 05:18
That pre-supposes that it is functioning. For that to happen I think the system needs to be selected on, but it's been a while since I flew the ATR and it may have since been modified to work automatically? These are old -42 models, not the latest whizz-bang -72 version.
But, my spies tell me that the stick shaker worked just fine.......

Mel-Bourne
14th Aug 2012, 07:28
On the day in question I've been told (from a reliable source) the following may have taken place...

On departing overhead, the aircraft tracked for a clear area between build up’s but did not have the performance to remain within the small confines of the clearing; alternative directions were restricted by traffic.

The Captain elected to hand fly the aircraft.

Whilst manoeuvring, the airspeed decayed. At one point a steep turn in excess of 35 degrees angle of bank was executed, and started to descend. During the recovery the aircraft entered cloud below lowersafe altitude.

During this time the OAT reduced into the icing range. Anti icing protection was selected on which resulted in stick shaker activation. This then prompted the Captain to instruct the First Officer to deselect the Ant icing protection! (Whilst still in icing conditions)...Situational awareness appeared to have been lost by the Captain so the FirstOfficer took over navigation as well as traffic separation and suggested a track outbound (away from the hill the Captain was aiming for). The Captain agreed and Anti icing protection turned back on. The stick shaker activated once again...

Sounds like incompetence by the captain inducing two stick shakers in IMC below LSA...

Maybe APNG didn’t give him a command for a good reason?

geeup
23rd Aug 2012, 00:40
Geez how that place has changed.
It was the #1 place to work in PNG!
Mad Dog must be horrified to see what it has become, in saying that I don't think any of his pilots are left.

Waghi Warrior
23rd Aug 2012, 08:32
Not wrong there geeup. If any of the stuff that has been mentioned here is any where near the truth the whole F/W operation should be delivered a show cause by CASA. The incident report would be very interesting reading! Fatal helicopter crash recently and now this! What's CASA (and their clients doing)?????? PNG really need another Part 121 aircraft crash like a whole in the head!

Putio747
1st Sep 2012, 22:08
Mel Bourne and Mach 12 these things happen in png dont forget it also happened to your buddy mad dog in hagen on the twotter only these guys on atr didnt clip trees. And as for apng they make otger idiots command like people who take 29 people to the ground and make people with no country and time on type fleet captain and c&t so i dont know why your blowing their horn for.

Lapunkapten
3rd Sep 2012, 10:08
Hands up if you didn't see the implosion happening, then give yourself an uppercut.

You'd have to be living in Cairns or Singapore to have not seen this coming.

What's it been? 3 different Chief Pilots since the long term position holder left in the middle of last year? Enough said.

mudpig
14th Sep 2012, 09:10
Now 4 C/P's.

macdonaldjames93
17th Sep 2012, 08:05
Em nau Puito747 you tell em boy........ GAIA:D

Iki
8th Mar 2013, 04:30
Mel, I hear that the captain involved may have been moved over to the right hand seat recently for allegedly entering hours in the incorrect column in his log book. As a result he is looking to move over to PX.

Ret Sabala
9th Mar 2013, 09:02
If the pilot you are alluding to is the one I knew it comes as no surprise. I doubt PX would look at him; PNG aviation is to small a microcosm to imagine you can try on that sort of caper and expect to get away with it, if indeed that is what he has done.
How is the ATR operation going anyway? They seem to be doing quite a lot of flying, despite the age of the aircraft they seem fairly reliable.
Did they retain the Barrick Gold contract?
We hear them in and out of Lihir quite a bit, so obviously they are still in favour with Newcrest, which A/PNG could not manage, so they must be doing something right.
How are the new chief pilot and his deputy doing. Both pretty decent people from my perspective anyway. I can't imagine much will get past those fellas. They certainly have plenty of experience in country.
Heavylift will certainly benefit from having them there.

geeup
22nd Mar 2013, 05:07
APNG just lost PJV :confused:

Does this mean HL aka Regional has won it? :cool:

ATR42-500:p & Otter?

Waghi Warrior
24th Mar 2013, 10:19
I think Hevilift are currently doing the PJV crew changes in the ATRs, not sure if its long term or not. I understand that Hevilift now have 3 ATRs as they also picked up the old Airlink machine. Also hear they now have a few very experienced and well qualified captains in amongst the ranks.

Che cows with guns
25th Mar 2013, 04:25
Correct; A/PNG lost PJV it was announced last week. I believe it was all pretty competitive.
I am not sure who will be operating the contract now. I assume it was won by Heavylift and they will be using an ATR-500 on the service Cairns to Hagen and the domestic sectors, with the Twotters shuttling Hagen to Kairik. Can anyone confirm this?
ATR's are certainly flavour of the month.
The ATR-500 would be a good fit for the operation, if not a tad expensive.
Che

geeup
1st Apr 2013, 23:24
Confirmed HL have a 3 year contract with PJV for;

ATR42-500 with -320 as backup
Otters x 2 currently using the 2 leased by PJV

Very well done

Waghi Warrior
4th Apr 2013, 11:36
Clean the rubbish talk up people. Stop the sledging and get on with life, otherwise put your real name in a signature block at the bottom of your post.
PX (and many other airlines worldwide) have had similar close to stall incidents. How do I know..... I was involved in a serious incident many years ago when I was at PX, and yes icing was involved and myself and the other pilot miss handled the situation. Why, I put it down to lack of experience flying in icing conditions and the lack of training/awareness provided by the company. It can happen to anyone if the cheese holes line up.

Has HL actually got an ATR42-500? I thought all their machines were the older -320 models.

It will be very interesting to see where all the PNG corporate charter providers end up in 2 or 3 years time when a lot of the current mining industry FIFO requirements begin ramping down as a result of construction completions during the next couple of years.

geeup
25th Jul 2013, 08:57
Where is the 500? Thats a deal breaker :=

HL may pickup the Cairns-Lihir-Cairns Newcrest contract by the sounds of things. Word is in November

Ret Sabala
26th Jul 2013, 11:06
Nah geeup wrong. Air Niugini with a Q300 with long range tanks.

Cravenmorehead
27th Jul 2013, 07:25
My bet is Newcrest will bite the bullet and upgrade the strip-they have a lazy million or two spare I'm sure- and use Air Niugini's F100's direct to Cairns and 737 to Brisbane.
After all the gold price surely has to go up.
Newcrest are hurting so much I would not be surprised if they don't send FIFO workers by boat.
Reading the Australian over the last few days would be sending shivers down Hevilifts spine. Simberi are hurting as well, and A/PNG are reliant on some of their work.