PDA

View Full Version : Do I meet the requirements for employment?

mattay_walsh
19th Jul 2010, 13:01
Hi everyone,

I have an important question about the pre-requisites regarding aviation degrees, cadet programs, and also employment as a pilot for an airline.

Do to unavoidable circumstances, I couldn't finish year 12 while at home, and had to move out. This year I decided to finish the qualification at TAFE, and being 20 I think attending school would be a bit too harsh considering I have to fully support myself away from home now. The TAFE course I am doing is the Tertiary Preparation Certificate (TPC), a certificate IV. At the completion of the course, I do not gain an ATAR, however I do gain a TES (Tertiary Entrance Score). My question regards the education pre-requisites regarding Aviation degrees and cadetships (through QANTAS for example). Does anyone know whether or not completing the TPC is a high enough level of education to gain entry into these types of courses? I am doing English, and 2U Mathematics equivalent to satisfy the basics, but i'm just not too sure on if it's enough. It's just the TPC is not that well known and i'm worried it is looked apon differently by Universities and airlines.
An example of my concern arises when I look into the Swinbourne QANTAS cadet program, as the requirements outline a specific course and grade or equivalent.

"In addition to the Qantas Cadet Pilot Program minimum criteria, applicants must have satisfactorily completed the Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE) or its equivalent, with the following subjects forming the prerequisites for the course.
VCE Units 3 & 4 - a study score of at least 20 in English (any) and Mathematical Methods.
Please note, students must complete both Unit 3 and 4 of Mathematical Methods, however the minimum study score may be obtained in either Unit 3 or 4. Passes maybe accumulated over more than one year." - a snip of the information booklet regarding the cadet program.

Is the TPC an equivalent of the VCE?

I basically want to achieve my dream of being a pilot any way possible, and am completely open for any paths to achieve it. Either through Uni, or a Cadet program, I will apply anyway possible.
As I finish this last semester, my concern became a lot more evident with a more thorough read of the different pathways to become an airline pilot.

I hope someone understands my concern and can help answer my question.

Thanks.
Matt.

mattay_walsh
19th Jul 2010, 13:06
Forgot to mention, this regards Australia's education system, more preciesely TAFE NSW.

Big_Mach
19th Jul 2010, 13:37
Matt - if you haven't already, have a look at the Wannabes (http://www.pprune.org/wannabes-forums-102/) section, in particular "Professional Pilot Training (http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies-14/)".

It might take a bit of time, but read through some of the posts there - I'm sure a question like yours has been asked before. Do make sure you check to see if it has been asked before, because otherwise you will get a lot of people telling you to use the search function and your question might not get answered. However there are quite a few Aussies who will be able to answer your question if it has not been answered already.