PDA

View Full Version : Mozambique airspace question

Baron Von Mildred
19th Jul 2010, 11:40
Hi flyers
Does anyone with local knowlege know the base of the various tma's in mozambique. The aip has them variously at 300m or 450m, which doesn't seem very icao. My jep chart remains silent except for FQVL which it shows as 3700ft!
Cheers
BVM

reinbobber
21st Jul 2010, 06:57
what is the relevancy of the TMA base? there is no radar in Moz. You will be talking to Maputo control and they will tell you to contact VIL tower when within range. If you are low the contactable range will be close. Flying in Moz is "VMC" meaning that there will be time when in actual IMC that you are not in contact with anyone.

Baron Von Mildred
21st Jul 2010, 12:55
God help us! I ask a question about the limits of controlled airspace, and the response is basicly 'who cares'!

May as well throw my charts in the bin then.......

NOTOT
21st Jul 2010, 14:51
Moz is a place on it's own, pretty much anything goes at the best of times. U will have to put on walking shoes to get the paperwork done at each airport u land, appart from that there are 2 main frequencys that u need to tune to 127,3 and 127,7. Those are the main area frequencies, from there they will hand u over to the app/twr controllers, if u go far north u struggle to get hold of beira, try 8867hf. Hope u come right, good luck!:cool::ok:

reinbobber
22nd Jul 2010, 12:57
you can keep your charts but better keep your eyes out the window

stiknruda
22nd Jul 2010, 22:03
you can keep your charts but better keep your eyes out the window

here, here - approaching a reporting point north of Beira, I heard a UN c/sign report some location, 3000 and estimates for the point I'd passed.

Being at FL90, I was relaxed until he appeared same height on a reciprocal from behind a cloud. His 3000 was metres not feet!

Baron Von Mildred
24th Jul 2010, 12:19
So, is it common practice to use metres for altitude in Moz? I know Ukrainians/Russians do it a lot.

reinbobber
28th Jul 2010, 16:10
using meters is not common practice in Moz-

mainbearing
4th Aug 2010, 06:00
Baron, what aircraft or better still what altitude/levels will you be flying?
Never heard of meters being used, certainly not by ATC.

putt for dough
4th Aug 2010, 06:43
Meters are definitely NOT used.
They do use feet. However a little understanding of Portuguese
can help in Mozam airspace.:ok:

Baron Von Mildred
31st Aug 2010, 12:06
Sorry, been away from pprune a bit. I fly anything below FL130 -no pressurisation\oxygen!