PDA

View Full Version : When did the RN sanction travel in working rig?

Union Jack
18th Jul 2010, 10:20
At the risk of incurring Wholigan's wrath, I feel that it's just worth mentioning that it's highly possible that the "killick stoker" mentioned at Post 69 in the thread Airline Travel in Uniform, could have been a Cat A compassionate case, landed straight off a submarine and thus with no access either to plain clothes or smarter uniform in the rush to get him on a flight south.

To give the poor fellow (and the RN) the benefit of any doubt, maybe an edited version of this post could be added to the end of the closed thread?

Jack

Jimlad1
18th Jul 2010, 11:14
Also, I'd like to add that I think the Doubles allegation in the original thread that the RN Capt was in fact RNR is pretty outrageous. As a serving RNR Officer, it really grips me when people decide to lay the blame for scruffy officers at the door of the RNR and not the RN.

I've seen plenty of phenomenally scruffy senior RN officers over the years, and plenty of incredibly smart RNR ones. Given there are only about 4 RNR captains now, its highly unlikely that they'd have been travelling on the flight in question - perhaps instead of seeking to blame others, we should accept the RN itself is not perfect?

Rant over :-)

Tankertrashnav
18th Jul 2010, 11:56
Well done UJ for resurrecting the thread! I was about to weigh in with a totally irrelevent tale of an old chum of mine, now sadly deceased, who was an officer in the Welsh Guards back in the 50's and 60's. One one occasion he was setting off to catch a train from London for a weekend in the country attired in tweeds and brown shoes when he was accosted by his adjutant, who ordered him back to Wellington Barracks. He had to do a weekend orderly officer for being incorrectly dressed in London - dark suit and black shoes still being de rigeur in the capital. Never that bad in the RAF, but I still cringe at the thought of the dreadful trilby I had at OCTU which had to be worn on the rare occasions we were off camp in civvies.

doubledolphins
20th Jul 2010, 20:33
Jim, the Captain was not scruffy at all. Just had the look of some one who did not wear uniform very often. I am sure you know the type. As to the stoker, who knows? Who cares?