PDA

View Full Version : Is RACWA on finals? YOU WERE WARNED!!

Pages : 1 2 [3]

MooneyManiac
5th Mar 2011, 14:06
Nirak or is it Karin? Are you looking for some sort of vicarious revenge?

Nirak
5th Mar 2011, 23:13
Vicarious revenge ? NO

Correcting the wrongs committed (by Racwa/WAAC) towards many ? YES

flying.monkeyz
6th Mar 2011, 00:48
:D:D

I think RACWA is beyond redemption.

Clare Prop
6th Mar 2011, 01:27
So, according to the CASA register these four year old Sportstars are owned and operated by Australian International Flying College Pty Ltd, who do not appear on AOC searches, who are shown in the register with a PO Box in Floreat but who have an address listed on internet business listings as 31, Eagle Drive.

Well, Air BP is 25 Eagle Drive, and Air Australia, the next building along, is No.33.

And ECU belongs to Kent St High School.

So...who are Australian International Flying College Pty Ltd, what is their connection with RACWA, how can they operate out of an address that doesn't exist and how is cross-hiring going to help RACWA's balance sheet??

:confused::confused:

Joker 10
6th Mar 2011, 02:39
Sportstars belong to Barney Fernandes

DAMouse
6th Mar 2011, 03:14
"..Well, Air BP is 25 Eagle Drive, and Air Australia, the next building along, is No.33...."

You missed out the ubiquitous Airflite. They will have access to all the necessary finance and acquisition resources.
From what I can work out the sportstars are offered at roughly the same hire-cost as the venerable 152s but they will cost a lot less to run so they could be highly profitable. If they get broken, need servicing, give 'em back? Landing fees should be lower....?
However you have to be taught how to wear one (creak, groan...) and then pay a few hundreds of dollars to be taught how to fly it which is a bit of a disincentive if you are already qualified for a 152. Then there will be the interesting exercise of maintaining currency?!?
From what sunfish says you would want to make sure that your excess policy is up-to-date.:rolleyes:

Clare Prop
6th Mar 2011, 03:45
Airflite are no.37. Another search shows China Southern as 31-35 Eagle Drive so the addresses don't seem to go in number order along the srtip there. Wierd. I thought Barney's connection with CSWAFC was over a long time ago.

So those were the Sportstars that were up at Northam then...

nottoospicy
6th Mar 2011, 07:53
http://img852.imageshack.us/img852/4086/58069209.jpg (http://img852.imageshack.us/i/58069209.jpg/)

MooneyManiac
6th Mar 2011, 08:51
RACWA continues to lurch from one disaster to another as it tries to find a way out of the mess it's STILL in.
Apparently there's no IFR training available now! WTF? What on earth is happening there?
I feel so sorry for the staff there having to work under the threat of closure. How can they be expected to perform at their peak under those circumstances?
If there was an Oscar for incompetence, those responsible at RACWA would surely get one.
When are the Committee going to tell the membership what's going on. At a critical time like this, it's our right to know, and not just the fawning platitudes the president writes in Tarmac Topics either. This mob of amateurs is a bad as the last - tell 'em nothing until it's a fait accompli and then let them squeal all they like. Do we still own MURRAYFIELD? Has WAAC been sold? Is it closing? Are new students being enrolled? Is there a plan to get us out of the financial crap? Any comments Mr President?? Nah! Didn't think so.

Joker 10
6th Mar 2011, 10:10
C'mon Mooney you are a supporter, now I don't mind being told I was wrong by really qualified folk, but you are beyond the pale, turn coat.

Deal with facts, it is much smarter than where you are !!!!!!!!!!!

MooneyManiac
6th Mar 2011, 12:26
Joker - there's nothing speculative in what I said. I was indeed a supporter but what is happening there now IS beyond the pale to use your expression. Talk to the people mate and learn. Oh that's right, your not a member anymore. You resigned in a fit of child like petulance. Such a grown up.

Nirak
6th Mar 2011, 12:56
Both Racwa and WAAC management are the masters of this mess, whether by incompetence, ignorance, arrogance or all of them.

They just under-estimated the consequences of their actions, painted themselves into a corner and have no idea or plan on how to get out of it.

The 4 sages of a problem:
Management denies there is a problem (there is no problem)
Management minimizes the problem (it is just a little hic-up)
Management admits there is a problem (it is a MASSIVE problem)

The last stage is about to begin:
Blaming everybody else ......... :{

flying.monkeyz
6th Mar 2011, 14:36
Serve them right! :D

BloggsJnr
7th Mar 2011, 00:58
I'd be a bit concerned if the Sportstars at RACWA are Barny's. Hope the RACWA LAME's have been over 'em closely: they've sat outside (under shade-cloth) for a couple of years at Northam, and have heard rumor that one of them was found to have considerable amount of water in a wing at one point.

A step in the right direction perhaps though -- some 'newer' aircraft might be just what the club needs to get more people through the door.

SOPS
7th Mar 2011, 07:39
Wait..let me get this right..Sportstars from Barney...this is what is going to save us???

I flash back to the Titanic sinking...."Captain, the ship has a big f:mad::mad:king hole..how can we fix it??...."Its OK crew grab the first class pillows and stick them in the hole..that will stop the water coming in...I hope...if not ummm..get the band to play a few songs..."

I really think that the plot is lost..I dont want that..but I fear the worst...:ugh:

And I have to continue..is it true there is no IFR training available???...what are we the North Korean Aero Club..please tell me its not true.......:ugh:

nottoospicy
7th Mar 2011, 08:26
is it true there is no IFR training available???

Yeah. Had that confirmed to me last week. The instructor responsible for IFR training is no longer in their employ.

And I hear that at least one of their twins (PNT) is up for sale.

DAMouse
7th Mar 2011, 13:24
"The Avonvalley Advocate" :

Northam flight school dream over

25 Aug, 2010 01:27 PM
AUSTRALIAN Flight Instructor School (AFITS) has severed its ties with Northam.Last week AFITS principal Barney Fernandes surrendered the lease on two Avon Community Development Foundation lots at the Northam aerodrome, the former Taurus Aviation hangar and the two training units with shelters at the southern end of the aerodrome.
The surrender brings to an end the drawn-out saga of Mr Fernandes' plans to establish a school in Northam to train high-quality flight instructors.
Mr Fernades brought four Czechoslovakian-built basic training aircraft to Northam.
He also received considerable financial support from the Avon Community Development Foundation (ACDF) and the Wheatbelt Development Commission (WDC).
However AFITS has no flight instructors and has trained no pilots.
ACDF owns the aerodrome infrastructure which Mr Fernandes was leasing.
Its chief executive Paul Tomlinson said the buildings were still a very valuable community asset.
“Aviation very much has a future in the Wheatbelt,” he said.
“We have other flight training organisations keenly interested in our facilities at the aerodrome.”
International Aviation Academy of Australia (IAAA) based at Jandakot presently has eight overseas trainee pilots at Northam.
It also as an agreement to train 25 West Papuans from the start of next year.
Meanwhile it is understood that Mr Fernandes has not abandoned his ambitious plans and is in discussions with another flight training school in Bunbury.

YPJT
7th Mar 2011, 13:47
I believe at least one operator at Jandakot got stung getting involved in Barney's little Northam adventure. :ugh: Don't people ever learn?

lethalw
7th Mar 2011, 23:27
"Meanwhile it is understood that Mr Fernandes has not abandoned his ambitious plans and is in discussions with another flight training school in Bunbury."

Hmmmmm, well there's only two of us down here on the field, and it wasn't BAC that was in discussion. The SportStars sat in the "others" hangar for months, then one day they were both flown away, nothing more to be heard.......

ContactMeNow
8th Mar 2011, 02:24
I believe at least one operator at Jandakot got stung getting involved in Barney's little Northam adventure. :ugh: Don't people ever learn?

Ahh yes the irony of DC being conned....

25 West Papuans... Wonder which training organisation's educational visa they will be under? Last time I heard, said company "over trained" their instructors and they didn't hold a Cert IV in workplace assessment and training, they held a Cert VII :rolleyes:. So he told the Dept of Education and Dept of Imm when they were doing audits of the place..

IAAA don't have 8 students either, more like 2 maybe 3? The rest went home or transferred. AS the brochure mentions living the "city life" in Northam and then failing to mention its over 1hr away from Perth.

BF has made alot of money out of the previous venture, nearly $1 million in government funding. Not too bad for an organisation that never existed, or had any plans to fly...

Looking forward to what the plans are with him and RACWA :E

Clare Prop
8th Mar 2011, 03:06
I heard that allegedly funding was applied for from Royalties for Regions for the Northam venture also.

-JLS-
8th Mar 2011, 04:54
Mr Fernades brought four Czechoslovakian-built basic training aircraft to Northam.

They may have been sitting around far longer than claimed if they're from the Czechoslovakian days :eek:

ContactMeNow
11th Mar 2011, 00:24
Yes many a meeting has been had with Brendon Grylls and co...

Nirak
13th Mar 2011, 06:14
The March 2011 TT issue looks all busy and upbeat for Racwa.

Is WAAC still in ICU ??

Joker 10
13th Mar 2011, 09:18
Nirak, Doesn't the Dusty Springfield song go something like this ,"Wishin and a Hopin"

PapaNovGolf
13th Mar 2011, 09:29
Incredible, this thread is STILL going!! :O

Joker 10
13th Mar 2011, 12:32
So it would seem is the RACWA saga . How long can the inevitable take ???

Nirak
13th Mar 2011, 13:26
Isn't it both awesome and awfull that the "smoke and mirrors" agendas of just a few individuals (that had far too much leverage) could destroy two long standing companies in such a short time........ and some of them are still employed there ! :ugh:

Icarus2001
13th Mar 2011, 14:24
could destroy two long standing companies

I have not seen any companies destroyed at JT other than TAC.

Please stop salivating at the prospect of RACWAs demise.

IT HAS NOT HAPPENED.

Nirak
13th Mar 2011, 15:11
Who says anybody is "salivating at Racwa's demise" ???

I said it is "awfull" and due to their own making, very different.

Stop adding what hasn't been said...

Hornet306
14th Mar 2011, 07:46
A friend of mine just recently took up the recent RACWA offer of a trial instructional flight as he was thinking of getting his PPL after 300+ glider hours and almost completed RAAus Certificate. The Biggles that took him up hogged the controls all the way and told him after the flight that it would probably cost him $24K to get his PPL and none of his previous experience would count. Naturally, he won't be going to RACWA to do his PPL training! No wonder they're in trouble!

Ex FSO GRIFFO
14th Mar 2011, 08:33
Mr Hornet......

And the 'Requirements' for the issue of a PPL are...??

Although I admire the sentiment of your mate's 300+ hrs in Gliders, the
'Requirements' for the VH-Registered Powered Aircraft are...?? :ugh:

And yep - I reckon you are right in the fact that 'Biggles' should have let him Have a 'good go' - providing he was showing some competency.....

But then, how much 'time' is left in a 30min flight after the line-up, take-off and rejoining, preparing for the landing at JT....

Not defending the instructor by any means, just an observation....

Cheers :ok:

YPJT
14th Mar 2011, 08:34
told him after the flight that it would probably cost him $24K to get his PPL :eek:At dual rates, that gotta go close to 100hrs. Why am I not surprised?

Awol57
14th Mar 2011, 09:27
I am sure you took into account all the other costs as well? Exams, theory books, medicals, etc.

Clare Prop
14th Mar 2011, 09:32
At least the glider pilot would, at the PPL stage, have been able to do a forced landing into other than "the" one and only forced landing paddock.... :mad: The instructor nmight have been able to learn something from him.

Hornet306
14th Mar 2011, 09:33
See below for recognised flight time towards PPL GFPT:

CAR 5.76 What aeronautical experience is required before a student attempts a general flying progress flight test? (1)For the purposes of paragraph 5.75 (3) (a), a student pilot must have the following aeronautical experience:
(a) in the case of a student who wishes to attempt a general flying progress flight test for aeroplanes — at least 20 hours of flight time that includes:
(i) at least 5 hours of flight time as pilot in command; and
(ii) at least 2 hours of instrument flight time
Snip.............Unsnip
(2)The 20 hours of flight time mentioned in paragraph (1) (a) must be flown in a registered aeroplane or a recognised aeroplane.
(3)In spite of subregulation (2), the 20 hours of flight time mentioned in paragraph (1) (a) may include recognised flight time that was flown in a helicopter, gyroplane, glider, power‑assisted sailplane or group A ultralight. :}
A couple of hours circuits at JT, then two hours instrument flying (which you can't do in GFA/RAAus) and he would be almost ready flying wise. Theory exams wouldn't be to much of a problem, he's a bright boy!

Nirak
17th Mar 2011, 10:54
How is the ICU patient (WAAC) doing ?

Does it need some "heavenly intervention" first to justify pulling it through ?? :E

Ex FSO GRIFFO
18th Mar 2011, 13:01
T'was a GREAT night at the 'Old Aero Club' Tonight .....(Just like in 'Dem Good Ole Days'....)

To celebrate the "Joint" Birthdays of 4 very well known and renowned Club personalities...

Shirley Adkins ....Happy Birthday!!:D
'J.D.'..................Happy Birthday!!:D
Glen Caple..........Happy Birthday!!:D
Mick Harcourt ......Happy Birthday!!:D

AND.....JUST TO ANNOUNCE ANOTHER "REMARKABLE ACHIEVEMENT",
T'was also near enough to Mrs Shirley Adkins's 60th Anniversary of having obtained her PPL at the 'Original RACWA' at Maylands......:cool:

The actual anniversary being LAST WEEK!!!:D:D

C O N G R A T S T O AAALLLLL...!!!:ok::ok::ok:

Nirak
19th Mar 2011, 01:03
Happy to hear that, Ex SFO GRIFFO

At least the pub has secured its survival.....

Wiley Coyote
20th Mar 2011, 06:43
Hey what a great day at the club. Plenty of buzz and a lot of people milling around. Seems that moral is good and new blood entering the premises.

Keep it up boys and girls.

AirSic
21st Mar 2011, 16:27
From all reports, quite a buzz and energy.

Any feedback from the efforts on the day?

It appears a go-around may have been achieved, first stage of flap up.:ok:

Wiley Coyote
22nd Mar 2011, 00:34
I did hear instructors grumbling a little they weren't getting paid for TIF's.

So maybe thats a way to cut costs - dont pay the instructors :)

SHAME !!!

ContactMeNow
22nd Mar 2011, 02:13

So maybe thats a way to cut costs - dont pay the instructors :)

SHAME !!!

Are you still talking about RACWA? :E

Wiley Coyote
22nd Mar 2011, 02:31
Well.......yes :ugh::ugh::ugh:

Van Gough
22nd Mar 2011, 05:03

Noooo surely they would be paid to fly a TIF? :mad:

ContactMeNow
22nd Mar 2011, 07:08
Sad I know, I wonder if the customers are aware of this? Most of them won't be as they see it as "training" for Jetstar :ok:

Not the only place at JT that doesn't pay for TIFs - No that is a lie, maybe you get $10 (if the boss/accounts likes you)

CMN :mad:

Awol57
22nd Mar 2011, 13:18
When I worked there I was always paid for TIF's though it was only 0.5 or 1.0hr regardless of what VDO the flight ended up being. Perhaps it was an arrangment for that particular day? Or just general grumbling?

Van Gough
25th Mar 2011, 11:05

So maybe thats a way to cut costs - dont pay the instructors

What is the matter with people? Come on guys what about saying "No I won't fly for free?". Just make yourselves unavailable to do flights for free. Isn't that why you got a Commercial Licence in the first place? To be paid to fly? Unbelievable.:mad::ugh:

Aeromuz
25th Mar 2011, 12:24
VG dont pay any attention to WC hes a troll just trying to stir up ****. The instructors do get paid for their flying at RACWA

Wiley Coyote
26th Mar 2011, 02:07
Thanks for the kind words Aeromuz - you clearly dont know sh:mad:t.

Have a chat with a few of the new Gr 3's and get it from the horses mouth.

A CPL holder with a Gr 3 rating gets paid just how much for a TIF ?????

Once again - looking skywards for strength and resolution......or maye a lightning bolt :)

MikeTangoEcho
26th Mar 2011, 11:52
Gee I would've done it for free just to get back up there, someone else paying for my flying sounds good for a change

nottoospicy
26th Mar 2011, 13:31
Gee I would've done it for free just to get back up there, someone else paying for my flying sounds good for a change

Attitudes like that are precisely why this is no longer a career but now a hobby. In the context of a true "club" I guess it is ok for all participants to give up their time for free, but under those conditions it ceases to be the career path that RACWA so successfully markets to the (once) naive like me.

Spend all this money to earn nothing but get to sit in plane for free! Who pays for your rent and food mate?

:mad:

Wiley Coyote
27th Mar 2011, 08:18
Sit in a plane for free - exactly. Short sighted and spoling it for the rest of the industry.

Imagine taking a plane to the skies, thru one of the busiest airports in Australia, with unsuspecting public entrusting their loved ones. To take off, fly, maybe even aerobat, and bring them home in one peice.

A proffessional pilot qulaification is required for this, not a GFPT. A quialified Commercail Pilot License that requires time, effort and considerable $$ to acheive.

So tel me again.....why you are so keen to fly for free ??

:mad::mad:

FokkerInYour12
27th Mar 2011, 11:42
Some would argue that the current hire rates are still below cost on a commercial rate-of-return basis. Neglible chance since a year ago. Not even covering CPI increases.

MikeTangoEcho
27th Mar 2011, 11:50
Of which I have thanks Wiley, I am quite aware of the money I've spent so far.

However, when I haven't flown in a while.. regardless of whether it be a TIF or not, I would like to not pay to fly an aircraft for once.

Bear in mind I am not employed by the industry yet, so this option sounds better than me sitting at home doing nothing.

It is different when normally PAID and EMPLOYED instructors say 'ok I will do it for free', agree? Don't get me wrong, when I do land a job I plan on earning money.

Oh yeh.. almost forgot

:mad::mad::mad:

Nirak
27th Mar 2011, 13:55
When is the next D-day ?

Awol57
27th Mar 2011, 16:14
Nirak do you ever get bored of asking the same question every 3-4 days?

So far they are still going, let's just wait and see

Nirak
27th Mar 2011, 16:25
No, I don't.....:*

Watching the managers from a distance sweating on and about their self-created mess .... and sadly uprooting many peoples lives.

Sadly, caused by just a few individuals, who are, even more distraughtingly, some of them still employed there.

Van Gough
28th Mar 2011, 05:34
Of which I have thanks Wiley, I am quite aware of the money I've spent so far.

However, when I haven't flown in a while.. regardless of whether it be a TIF or not, I would like to not pay to fly an aircraft for once.

Bear in mind I am not employed by the industry yet, so this option sounds better than me sitting at home doing nothing.

It is different when normally PAID and EMPLOYED instructors say 'ok I will do it for free', agree? Don't get me wrong, when I do land a job I plan on earning money.

Oh yeh.. almost forgot

Considering you can't legally do a TIF without being employed, standardized & prof checked as an instructor at a flying school and hold a current instructor rating, you shouldn't have to do them for nothing and you should be paid the award rate or higher.

Do the managers & ops staff etc come in and do a days work without getting paid?

SweetnLow
28th Mar 2011, 09:09
Nirak haven't you worked out that fellow ppruners don't care for your posts. I seen no reply's to a thread you commenced some time ago.....

Give it rest. If you've nothing substantial to contribute, to discussions or otherwise, then don't.

YPJT
28th Mar 2011, 09:55
Professional pilots who agree to fly for nothing are no better than the :mad::mad::mad::mad: who tell them to do it.
It's a bit different if it is for a worthy cause such as angel flight, but with these TIFs someone somewhere along the line must be making a profit. If not, why are they doing it?
I wonder, are they covered by compo when they are doing this voluntary work?
Good point about whether non-flying staff would work for free. But can anyone confirm if it is true the intructors are?

Nirak
28th Mar 2011, 10:04
SweetnLow

Maybe there was no reply because there is nobody left there ?

The flying instructors are too busy and the ground instructors are non-flyers and non-ppruners.

Or they are just too busy trying to fall on their feet.

The club members also generally do not care what happens to WAAC anyway.

There could be many reasons.....

Awol57
28th Mar 2011, 10:14
YPJT in the years I worked there we were never asked to do free flying. I don't know if that is what happened this time around but I know a few guys that work there, I will see what I can find out.

m20j
28th Mar 2011, 11:22
To those that have noted the disclaimer at the bottom of PPRUNE threads :

"As these are anonymous forums the origins of the contributions may be opposite to what may be apparent. In fact the press may use it, or the unscrupulous, or sciolists*, to elicit certain reactions"

....this is as true on this thread as any.

To clarify the issue regarding instructors pay - for those that are actually interested in facts - RACWA does not under any circumstances ask their pilots to work for free. With regards to Wiley Coyotes provocative previous post that started this innacurate string of comments on pilots working for free at RACWA (which of course I whole heartedly disagree with as well), I'd respectfuly suggest he must have misheard or is simply taking the liberty of exercising, like many others here, the PPRUNE disclaimer above.

Having talked to my collegues at most of the other flying schools at Jandakot, my understanding is that RACWA pay the highest rates of any training organisation on the strip. Casual instructors are paid by VDO time flown (yes TIFS are no different) and for all briefs. To the best of my knowledge we are all happy at RACWA in this regard - so whilst the concern is appreciated guys, you may kindly cease to discuss our plight because we are not the ones complaining :)

All the best.

Aeromuz
28th Mar 2011, 11:56
Gee WC ........ seems I do actually know sh:mad:t, hows that for horses mouth?? Thanks for the confirmation there m20j
As previously pointed out the pilots and staff at RACWA are doing their best and I wish them all well in their future endevours :ok:

Wiley Coyote
29th Mar 2011, 02:08
Good stuff guys.

It seems we have contradicting news. Guess I too would be embarrassed to say "yes I fly for free coz I love my job and hopefully they wil keep me on".

Each to their own, was just pointing out the view that was given to me by a certian lady instructor at RACWA only 4 weeks ago.

But hell, what do i know. All the best :)

Ex FSO GRIFFO
29th Mar 2011, 07:23
Also 'from the horses mouth'......I just had to ask...

All instructors DO get paid for all TIF's.....period.

Cheers:ok:

So wots' next on the agenda..??

Wiley Coyote
30th Mar 2011, 03:06
So maybe my horse is a nag !

The way I see it is:
Sccoopon 30min TIF vouchers sold for $69 to the public.
RACWA gets maybe $60 (and thats generous)

Airways and LDG $25
Fuel $29

Leave only $6 for the instructor.

Now I'll bet my nag agianst your donkey that the club is pocketting that $6.

Or......the instructor is getting paid $33 for a 0.5 flight and the club is running at a loss of $27 per flight of which i'm told they have sold hundreds.

Who knows eh ?

The Kelpie
30th Mar 2011, 03:14
Award says minimum 2 hours flight for casual work, and 4 hours flight where duty period exceeds 4 hours!!

FreshInPerthAir
30th Mar 2011, 04:30
Just read a couple of your previous posts Wiley and if you think that the new grade 3's are doing tifs for free you are stupider than what sound ( and your posts make you sound pretty stupid) I know all the new grade 3's and I can assure you they all getting paid for every last minute that they are flying.

Go find something better to do than sit behind the computer all night and bitch about how bad the aero club is, if you don't like them, don't go there, simple.

Wiley Coyote
30th Mar 2011, 08:07
FreshFace - You're taking this so very personally.

Maybe a sore point, but do please peruse the math, and explain just how they do get paid ??

These days I go there coz you get a damm fine cappucino.

FreshInPerthAir
30th Mar 2011, 08:20
If anybody is taking this personally it's you, there is not a page on here with out you having commented on it, trying to sound concerned about the aero clubs future though really you are just egging on their demise.

Dont ask me how it works for the tifs, i don't work in the accounts department, but all I know is all the instructors are getting paid for all the flying they are doing and the aero club is doing just fine.

Wiley Coyote
30th Mar 2011, 08:22
Schweet and thanks for the heads up.

MooneyManiac
30th Mar 2011, 11:11
Wiley - the Scoopons could be what the supermarkets and other retailers call a loss leader. It's a tried and true marketing strategy. You get 'em in the door with a really tempting offer and once there, they'll hopefully buy more. There's no doubt that they'd be losing money on them, but if they have the methodology in place, they'd probably get quite a few new starts. Loss leaders are great, but you've got to monitor the results of the strategy or you could go broke.......:rolleyes:

that chinese fella
30th Mar 2011, 12:52
Is it normal that fixed wing instructors get paid for flight time only and not necessarily a salary or am I misinterpreting things?. I havent heard of it in the rotorheads world.

DAMouse
30th Mar 2011, 14:21
The way I heard it, punters pay upfront but not every punter will necessarily cash in the voucher! So, 100 pay the $69, scoopon remits the cash, less their cut - club gets $6k. 50 actually take the tif, club ends up $3k cash in the bank ahead! 'Course it's really a potential time bomb but when you're desperate......In strict retail terms that's not a loss leader it's the exact opposite if you intend to stay trading!!
:=

Ex FSO GRIFFO
30th Mar 2011, 14:52
So here's the question -

does the Club get the $$'s for the 'no shows', or does 'scoopon' get to keep that as part of their operating profit..??

Wiley Coyote
31st Mar 2011, 00:59
Loss leaders are great, only when you're ahead of the bank manager.

So DAMouse, are you suggesting that the club management is banking on a percentage of no-shows to make this a viable proposition ?

How many people that fronted up to the club with gift vouchers, flew their TIF and I wonder how many have converted to students.

Great concept - hope it works out.

Clare Prop
31st Mar 2011, 01:39
Loss leaders are indeed a well know marketing startegy but should really be called "slightly less margin than usual" leaders, I spent some time in supermarket management and there is no way you do a "special" at an actual LOSS. Margins in retailing are much higher than in aviation, there is a lot of room for making stuff look really cheap but still be making a (slightly smaller)profit on it.

Conversion of TIFs into students...well if the voucher is bought as a last minute "surprise" present then probably not. Most students already know they want to fly from a young age and wouldn't suddenly decide to because of a scoopon type thing. But if it gets them to one flying school rather than another when they were going to do it anyway then it's a success.

Nirak
31st Mar 2011, 01:58
Don't worry.

The 'river of gold (WAAC)' will save them.......

Awol57
31st Mar 2011, 13:01
So they shall soldier on and hopefully make some inroads towards improving their financial situation.

Wiley Coyote
31st Mar 2011, 13:14
Golly.....some fine spirited people here.

Love the work Mooney Man. Anyone witha business plan that relies on an expectant uptake of only 30-40% uptake must solely be relying on a whim and a prayer.

and if the uptake is 50% +, then we're all screwed for basically trading insolvent.

Oooooh I here some of you mutter.........never thought of that !

DAMouse
31st Mar 2011, 14:42
Clareprop, In retailing your 'loss leader' is designed to leave you with stock, usually purchased at a special price, which you can sell at the conclusion of the promotion at a higher figure.
With 'gift vouchers' at such a fixed price, they become a liability because there is no telling when they will have to be honoured. Already, fuel costs alone have increased since the promotions were run. I am sure also that the landing fees advance payment debacle will have been adjusted, so that will now be an extra cost. Who is the winner? - scoopon of course who get their cut for doing very little especially if direct debit is used!
I reckon the whole thing has been a little bit unethical and was a grab for cash!:=

MooneyManiac
1st Apr 2011, 02:05
Re Scoopon, all vouchers issued would have a use by date (I would hope) so they don't last indefinitely, and we don't really know what RACWA's COST of a TIF is so it's pretty hard to know if the price is below cost or not. Plus, part of the cost of the promotion would be applied against marketing I would suspect.

DAMouse
2nd Apr 2011, 09:15
to MooneyManiac

re scoopon:

The Fine Print

Valid from 31 January 2011 to 31 January 2012
Flights available from 31 January 2011
Bookings can be made from 2 January 2011
Bookings essential on 08 9417 0000
Subject to availability
Scoopon number must be quoted
Flights available at both the Jandakot and Mandurah locations:confused:

AirSic
4th Apr 2011, 15:40
Considering that the tiger(s) have reportedly over 700 hours worth of scoopons sold and the current level of activity at the club......

Not to mention the conversion of wannabies to students from the open day...

Maybe it is all worth it?!:ok:

Ex FSO GRIFFO
4th Apr 2011, 23:10
Reminder for RACWA members......

An 'Information' Night meeting to be held at RACWA at 7pm Wed 6th April.

This meeting to acknowledge the award of 'Life Membership' to esteemed member Mr Brian Hernan, and then acknowledgements to other members who have contributed.

Following will be an Information presentation, and questions from members will be taken by the committee....

Capn Bloggs
4th Apr 2011, 23:17
Well done Brian. What a stalwart. http://www.smilies.our-local.co.uk/index_files/worship.gif

AirSic
7th Apr 2011, 09:07
Well done to Brian on his "Life Membership"...a true testament, and a real "life membership".

Not much else to mention from last night........

pretty lack luster really.......

same info, same droll........

Oh except....RACWA LIVES!!!!:ok::ok::ok::ok::ok:

the flames have been burning, pprune scored a mention, but at least the club is still there and things HAVE turned around.

I would suggest that Murray Korff and David Currey have both been vindicated!!!!!!!!!

Great turn around from the open day, TIF's and new students, a fresh breath has blown through. A few hurdles to jump next...looking forward to the instructors painting those walls hahaha.

I must say, all in all, appears that the club is now in a realistic frame of mind...one or two more to "move on" then we shall all be back on track.

Well done all:D:D

Brian Burke
8th Apr 2011, 12:44
Some 'Customer Service' from the Front Counter staff wouldn't be a bad thing either. They certainly don't make you feel welcome in the 'Club' at all...

No 'Hello', 'Goodmorning' etc etc on first contact, with most staff head down with their eyes firmly fixed on the computer or mucking around on their iPhone or even worse discussing their after-hours plans with each other whilst clients are kept waiting for service...

Before I get 'shot down in flames' I am no a loyalist to ANY organisation at JT however RACWA could take a leaf out of other operators books along the strip...

BB :ok:

The Green Goblin
8th Apr 2011, 13:31
Old Brian Hernan, there is someone who gets around. In another life he taught me cartography at leederville technical college!

I never even knew he flew :)

Ex FSO GRIFFO
8th Apr 2011, 15:02
Hey Burkie,

You should come thru the doors 'These Days'......

A 'welcoming smile' and a greeting is now the order of the day......:ok:

Yes...well for me at least....'Things' have improved, and the gals and guys are quite 'on the ball'....;):cool:

Perhaps U should smile and just say 'Hello'.....I'm BB, and I wonder if U can help me...??:):)

Cheers:ok::ok:

Nirak
9th Apr 2011, 09:19
How is WAAC coping with the strong Aussie dollar hurting them ?

YPJT
9th Apr 2011, 14:09
How is WAAC coping with the strong Aussie dollar hurting themThe same as every one else I guess.

Map1
10th Apr 2011, 04:08
The strong Aussie dollar has affected WAAC for years and no one woke up to that fact! They are about 22k pounds more than competitors in the UK? Why would anyone come to Perth, other than the weather, for this premium price>
Surely- a product's pricing is the FIRST step in launching a product?
Not worth marketing with this difference.

We do see, in the past three months accelerated awareness and marketing which must help WAAC and Racwa. No one, really, know they existed before-in the wider public and business world. They have two really good top operators in marketing now which is better than the former CEO's secretary (?) handling-marketing???? Didn't happen in Alllan Hoffmans day nor in John Douglas's day. All quite sad and silly really

And-we see that there is some movement on Murrayfield? An Air Park to be sure. Will it be timely enough to keep the bank from putting in the receivers?:D