PDA

View Full Version : SYD flight cancelled

F_one
17th Jul 2010, 00:20
Apparently CX had to cancel a SYD-HKG flight due to crew shortness. Unconfirmed rumour has it both Capt and F/O operated night flight down to SYD, had about 12 hours in the pub and then had to operate another night flight back to HKG. Both called in unfit for duty for second flight.

CX couldn't get any based crew to do them a favour.....

Anyone know more about this?

Bob Hawke
17th Jul 2010, 00:52
So what's your point?

1. Crew went to the Pub.
2. Crew reported sick.
3. No Crew to fly, consequentially.

I would suggest that trying to tie the pub into going sick and crew shortage is presumptuous. Perhaps FTL issues, perhaps fatigue brought on sickness. Who knows, or dodgy food, whatever, but you make it look sloppy with a such a comment. Insinuating something beyond your direct knowledge is inappropriate under the circumstances, unless of course you were drinking with them?

You can expect more pilots to get sick if they max out FTL's, with fatigue issues.

Capt Toss Parker
17th Jul 2010, 00:56
They called in for fatigue :ok:

The Stunned Mullet
17th Jul 2010, 01:18
Apparently the crew were not affected by alcohol, sickness, or fatigue. They were physically impaired in the height department:

CX had to cancel a SYD-HKG flight due to crew shortness

:ok:

JoeShmoe
17th Jul 2010, 01:19
I would suggest that trying to tie the pub into going sick and crew shortage is presumptuous.

"Went to the Pub for 12 hours" is Aussie for hotel!!

buggaluggs
17th Jul 2010, 03:07
So the boys operated an all nighter down to sdy, then 'rest' for 12 hrs (min rest?) through their body clock daytime, then company wants them to operate another all nighter back to hkg again! I don't think there'd be too many crew comfortable with that! Good on them. :D

I can hear crew control already...' but it's legal !! ' ... yeah whatever..

jed_thrust
17th Jul 2010, 04:15
Hear, hear!!

crwjerk
17th Jul 2010, 04:29
Wednesday 14th June, CX138 SYD-HKG was forced to overnight in SYD due to both Captain and F/O reporting sick shortly before departure. All passengers were transferred to CX110/100. The aircraft ferried back 11 hours late with the original crew.

Tell me that CX110 does not depart approximately 11 hours later anyway..... Why would this aircraft be ferried back empty? Don't tell me that helps the cost cutting mentality which is now our " PRIORITY "

Bye Bye Baby
17th Jul 2010, 23:07
No, it's a profit cutting exercise so that they don't have to pay 13th and PS.
Well done to the boys, if more of us had the Kahunnas they would realise how short they are.
4 days worth of SYD flights I looked at had no Cpt for any of the flights, thats 13 flights without a Cpt.
Operated a NA flight with a Cpt as RQ, then the second of the W PXed an FO over and then got a change myself to operate a differant flight "due sickness".
The pendullum is swinging.

Fac6
18th Jul 2010, 02:39
LongTimeInCX :D :ok:

Cedar Tree
18th Jul 2010, 04:40
CX168 to depart on the 25th of June was also delayed 12 hours, departed the next day, both Capt and FO were "unfit for duty." A Capt was found, but no FO, so the company convinced the FO operating in on CX163 on the 25th, to take the CX168D to HK after minimum rest, and the individual WAS physically sick, but did the flight anyway. Looks like it's time for the company to get more crew on these bases...

buggaluggs
18th Jul 2010, 12:32
"and the individual WAS physically sick, but did the flight anyway."... WTF !! :=

Sqwak7700
18th Jul 2010, 14:22
"and the individual WAS physically sick, but did the flight anyway."... WTF !!

That is why it is so frustrating. So many of us are militant to the letter of the FTLs, then some wuanker comes along and operates sick, bending over backwards to help out. :ugh::ugh::ugh:

I really hope that if anyone knows this plick, they give him a talking to. :hmm:

jed_thrust
19th Jul 2010, 01:03
I have seen a skipper remove an FO (that was obviously sick) at dispatch.

More easily done in HKG, of course, than at an outport.

I hope I have the kahunas to do the same - if required - when I grow up!

badairsucker
19th Jul 2010, 02:19
That is why it is so frustrating. So many of us are militant to the letter of the FTLs, then some wuanker comes along and operates sick, bending over backwards to help out. :ugh::ugh::ugh:

I hear ya mate.

Also, all the guys who worked on their days off on Saturday to help the company out.

We will never learn:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

onprofile
20th Jul 2010, 06:08
Yes ! Some People Will Never Learn. Until they have been shafted ! Which is only a matter of time in most cases.

411A
20th Jul 2010, 14:04
Perhaps it would be a better policy for CX management to consider doing away with Second Officers (as nearly all other airlines have done...long ago), promote these Second officers to the First Officer position, then thereby release/ promote more senior First Officers to Captain.

A simple solution, seems to me.:}

Simple however does not seem to be the CX modus operandi.:ugh:

greybeard
20th Jul 2010, 14:40
YOU CAN'T BE TIRED CAPTAIN, YOU HAVE HAD MINIMUM REST!!!!

To me at sign on after a double all nighter, followed by the gift of Min Rest.

Be safe out there, I might be your Pax.

:ok:

perfectenergy
8th Aug 2010, 04:24
Those bloody cheap airlines claimed low cost eat up all those route run by proper airline.