PDA

View Full Version : Most hijacked helicopter company?

500 Fan
16th Jul 2010, 11:43
Does anyone know which commercial helicopter operator (current or past) holds the "record" for most hijackings?

Irish Helicopters Limited had the misfortune to have two of its helicopters hijacked on successive years in the early 1970s, courtesy of the I.R.A. One was for a "bombing mission" (unsuccessful, thankfully) and one for a prison break attempt (successful). Does anyone know if any company has been hijacked on three different occasions or more?

I think I read on PPRuNe before that Bristow's had a machine hijacked in Nigeria. Given the scale of their operations over the years, do they hold the "Helicopter Hijack World Record"? Thanks.

500 Fan.

212man
16th Jul 2010, 12:00
I think I read on PPRuNe before that Bristow's had a machine hijacked in Nigeria

They had 4 machines hijacked in 5 months in 1999 in Nigeria......

flyer43
16th Jul 2010, 12:14
I hope that this doesn't precipitate a wave of attempts to break the record!!

Having said that, in the dark old days on the North Sea, it often felt as if the helicopter I was flying had been hijacked on return flights from offshore installations. I wouldn't have like to argue with many of the passengers!

SASless
16th Jul 2010, 14:20
212man.....and several more attempted Hijackings!

Even the Police/Army were known to try to take over aircraft.....had that happen at Forcardos North Side once.

Then there was the time Escravos got over run by the Women Folk....and several aircraft got vandalized.....after the Security Forces legged it for parts unknown.

Good Vibs
17th Jul 2010, 09:59
Hi all,
212man, do you remember the Swamp Queen?
And all the bonuses from our employer for still flying after all those problems.(NOT!)
And at Escravos when the local women threatened to strip naked and overrun the place to get what they wanted. The oil company gave in to their demands after this.
I guess we all thought "Keep a Stiff Upper Lip" and keep the operation going.

212man
18th Jul 2010, 01:08
And all the bonuses from our employer for still flying after all those problems

Don't bonus : we'll bone you!

Yes I do recall the Swamp Queen - hard to believe it's 11 years ago now!