PDA

View Full Version : NZ CPL Theory Exams

HercFeend
15th Jul 2010, 23:18
I took and passed my last CPL theory exam (PoF&AP(A)) yesterday and, by the end of the exam, couldn't help but wonder if it had been a test of my technical knowledge or a test of English comprehension....... Looking at the KDRs, unfortunately it appears to have been the latter!!!!

Has anyone else had this experience??

Big_saint
16th Jul 2010, 00:23
ASL tests on both english language comprehension and knowledge of the subject as there never used to be a language proficiency test, so it was included in the theory exams. Now it seems the need for it is pointless, but as long as people keep failing and ASLs pockets keep getting filled it wont change.

Ipecac
16th Jul 2010, 23:19
They do have a love affair with double negatives and oddly worded questions. I guess they figure it's multi-choice so they've got to try and make it hard for you. I missed getting a 100% for PofF by one question because the wording was open to interpretation. :ugh:

Just remember RTFQ...Read The F@#King Question. :ok:

Big_saint
17th Jul 2010, 01:19
I still stand behind the technique of crossing out the stuff you know is definitely wrong (remember it is your exam paper and you can draw as much as you like all over it

Sadly its all computer based now so you can't do that anymore. Nav and Flight Planning on the computer was so much more difficult than being on paper.

Ipecac
17th Jul 2010, 21:59
very occassionally the next question down actually reveals the answer to the question you've skipped:E And you're allowed to take paper into the exam with you. The deal is everything you write on stays there.

HercFeend
18th Jul 2010, 19:59
Well I'm glad it's not just me.......

Like you said Rogue Jumbo, as long as you pass, which I did, no need to sweat. Interestingly looking through the KDRs - I knew off the top of my head the information they where referencing, so again that would point toward the wording........

A note (so to speak) on scrap paper in the computer based exams. In CH it has been my experience that if you're not given paper you're not allowed to use any. i.e. when I sat Law a few weeks ago, I sat down before the exam started and asked for some paper (just in case, I thought) and was told none was given with this exam and therefore I wasn't allowed any!!