View Full Version : DA50 to 50EX

NuName
15th Jul 2010, 13:22
Can anyone give a little info as to the LEGAL requirement for a differences course to go from the DA50 to the DA50 EX, as opposed to recomended. I know the 900 to the 900 EX has no legal requirement, is it the same?

NuName
15th Jul 2010, 14:29
Thanks for the reply, it would be under FAA, I think in house training is OK but want to check. Seems to me that if you get a 50 type and fly a 50, and then you can legally jump into a 900 or a 900EX even, it should be no legal prob to jump into a 50EX and get trained by a rated and experienced captain, thats my logic but want to be sure.

con-pilot
15th Jul 2010, 19:32
I know the 900 to the 900 EX has no legal requirement, is it the same?

As for the US and the FAA the answer is yes.

However, you just might want to check with your insurance company, they may require additional training of the differences, which is of course the avionics.

I'm typed in the DA-50 and flew the 900EX (which was the first and the initial type), then a straight 50 and then the 50EX. I did not bother to ask the insurance company, I just went ahead and sent all of the pilots, me included, to FSI for the differences class first for the 900EX to the 50* and then from the 50 to the 50EX. The avionics package in the 900EX is not the same in the 50EX.

FSI did not have a standard 900EX to 50 class, as not too many people ask for that, but they did put something together and it worked well.

fauconpoilu
15th Jul 2010, 22:44
enjoy flying the 50EX, it rocks :D

con-pilot
16th Jul 2010, 18:19
enjoy flying the 50EX, it rocks :D

Retired now, but I certainly did enjoy flying the 50EX, even better than the 900EX. As a matter of fact, I flew a 50EX around the world westbound. Against the winds and it did a fabulous job. We were gone over three months and the only maintenance problem we had was one of the tract lights in cabin overhead burned out.

Naturally it was the light above the owner's seat. :p

Mizuno boy
16th Jul 2010, 19:05
FSI, KTEB offers a differences course if you ask.
As for the differences, main one is the bleed system, BASC (Bleed air system computer) no PRV's. The system is self regulating. 2 degrees additional rudder either way, much nicer in crosswind. No difference in published takeoff or landing length numbers(due to certification) but it does break ground earlier than the straight 50. Inital cruise, capable of 4,000 feet higher and .02 mach faster at similar weights and temps.
All around a great airplane.
PM me if you want more.

Cheers
MB

NuName
18th Jul 2010, 07:29
Thanks to everyone for their comments. I would be freelance and flying with another experienced 50EX captain, part 91 only. Have just been advised, FAA require formal training only for part 135, not 91. My main concern was the legallity, seems it will be OK.