PDA

View Full Version : Some advice needed..

TDK13
14th Jul 2010, 22:44
Hi,
Im a Flight Instructor (Grade 3) with around 1100 hours, have a CIR and all the endorsements needed. Im 25years old. Ive started a thread as I need some advice from some experienced people in the industry. I desperately want to go and travel the world for around 8-12months but think that if I do that at my current level of experience it will be almost impossible to get back into the industry where I left off when I return.

1) Has anybody taken an extended period of time off at a level such as mine and successfully returned to flying?
2) Do you think I will be destroying my career if I do go and travel and try and return?

Any advice whatsoever would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

novice110
14th Jul 2010, 23:01
Hi there. I would suggest you definately take a break. I've seen people go away from flying for years at a time with no real disadvantage to their careers. If anything it will make you a more rounded candidate for the interview(s). In fact I've flown with guys/girls in jets who started their flying career after 30.

With all future jobs in Australia now 'pay for endorsement' the age issue is a non-event. Go for it!

Di_Vosh
14th Jul 2010, 23:02
I did it a few years ago.

Between Feb 06 and Jun 07 I took a flying "sabbattical" when I went overseas with the Australian Army Training Team (Iraq).

At the time I had around 930 hours. I got a job in Darwin around two months after I got back.

So it can be done.

DIVOSH!

Exaviator
14th Jul 2010, 23:20
Back in 67 I did just that. Had a hankering to sail a yacht around around the islands of the South Pacific. At the time I was flying in command with a major domestic airline with the usual career ahead of me.

I figured that I either did it then or wait until retirement - which at 27 years of age seemed a long way off.

When I announced my plans my fellow aviators tried to talk me out of it.

"Think of your seniority, Think of your super" were typical comments.

Regardless I sold up, bought the boat, resigned and never looked back.

Had a great time, returned to aviation a year later and went on to finish an interesting and rewarding career - albeit as an expatriate.

As someone once said, " Life is but a short journey between two eternities". My advice is make the best of it whilst you still can. :ok:

Horatio Leafblower
15th Jul 2010, 00:12
Do it.

I slogged it out for years while my friends went to live in London, Scotland, Indo. I knew that when I got that airline job I would see it all for myself and the sacrifice would be worth it. :rolleyes:

Well I never got into QF and I have kids and a mortgage. It'll be years now before I have the freedom to get away. But when we have friends over they still talk with my wife about the places they went and the people they met, and their careers are shaped by the time they worked and lived over there.

Go. Go now. :ok:

solowflyer
15th Jul 2010, 01:04
Try flying and travelling is a big world out there and aviation does go on outside oz. Give affrica, Canada, US, Asia a go. Wish I went when I was youger.

Baldnfat
15th Jul 2010, 04:27
Go for it TDK13.:ok:

One is a long time lamenting the "could have done this" and "should have done that" in this GA game.

If you have a background in hospitality, agriculture/farming or anything that would see you mixing with the locals wherever you travel. The possibilities are endless.

You might just jag the flying gig in country X that you are looking for.

I did it at age 32 and even though my liver curses me for it, my travel/flying overseas is certainly one of my career highlights.

TDK13
15th Jul 2010, 06:30
Thanks so much for all the good advice so far!:)

It has certainly straightened out many of my thoughts. If anyone has anymore advice whatsoever feel free to post it as I find comments from experienced people in the industry very valuable.

Cheers!

waren9
15th Jul 2010, 11:40
25? You've just started mate.

Get out there and do it. When you return and you've been back at it you'll realise that bombing round in jets is just another job that pays the bills and gives you a bit extra (maybe) for a couple of toys/a family.

There's more to life than flying planes mate, get out there and see a bit of the place while you can.

W9

Homesick-Angel
15th Jul 2010, 14:50
Go..

I started flying a few years ago at age 31, so you could nip off for a quick 6 month trip(or 5 years), have the time of your life and still get back to take that job I was keen on landing in the future.:}

But really..Take it from me..If you dont take a holiday and really get out there and enjoy life, when are you gonna do it?There is a myth out there that you work hard through all the best and most energetic years of your life, and then try and enjoy a break when you're retired in ya 60s....Bugger that..Go now..

FRQ Charlie Bravo
15th Jul 2010, 23:29
Go... but on the other hand bear in mind that you need to keep your finger on the pulse of the industry. If 2007 happens again it'd be a shame to be sipping Coronas in Baja out of currency/recency and oblivious to the goings-on.:zzz: (Wow, I never thought I'd think that it'd be a shame to be in that ideal situation.)

Ahh, bugger it. Go go go.

FRQ CB

greybeard
16th Jul 2010, 01:45
Go fo it, the real world is out there for you to discover.

I left an Airline career of 22 years at age 46, went OS, worked in Europe and Asia for the rest of my flying life, best fun ever.

Even go the FAA or European licence if you wish.

Even if yo leave aviation for that time, it will always be here or there for the taking.

:ok:

TDK13
22nd Jul 2010, 09:36
Thanks again for all your replies!:ok:

Mr. Hat
22nd Jul 2010, 10:46
Won't be a problem mate go see the world. Had years off made no real difference.