PDA

View Full Version : AA Diversion

I'mbatman
14th Jul 2010, 01:52
AA flight from D/FW makes emergency landing on small Alaskan island | wfaa.com | Dallas - Fort Worth Business, National Business News (http://www.wfaa.com/news/business/AA-flight-from-DFW-emergency-lands-on-small-island-98247479.html)

Its a good thing our airplanes never have false cargo fire warnings....oh wait......:eek:

Ex Cathedra
14th Jul 2010, 10:27
And for those of us lucky enough to ever visit this fantastic part of the world after a 'false cargo fire warning that never happens', here's what Shemya looks like:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/space/facility/images/eareckson_shemya-island.jpg

The local pub doesn't carry enough beers for 400, so be sure to be the first one down the slide...

Basil
14th Jul 2010, 11:41
Good decision, Skip!:ok:
. . and the pax get a night out in Anchorage - beer and bootie in the ABC followed by a punch-up in the Pioneer :} . . and a fur coat for the wife.

Busbert
14th Jul 2010, 11:56
Well I guess they fared better than SR111.

Bluestar51
14th Jul 2010, 14:49
I didn't know they had sunshine there. It's always been cloudy or dark when I pass over it. :)

BS

Flying Mechanic
14th Jul 2010, 15:16
loooks like nice place for holiday!

B-HKD
15th Jul 2010, 00:19
Plane took the pax to ANC without their luggage. Replacement took them to NRT the following day.

Funny thing is the aircraft involved N777AN had to divert AGAIN during its ferry flight to KDFW :D Landed in Amarillo, TX due to another false cargo fire warning.

Loopdeloop
16th Jul 2010, 17:10
Yes for me!

fire wall
16th Jul 2010, 21:32
how do you confirm a fire warning?
Lower cargo hold then maybe feel for heat in the floor space above, but then do you really want to delay a diversion by those precious minutes given they now state you have 11 minutes to get her down ?

The light is on and the bell's a ringing ........ we are going down ! Get me some hotel rooms.

hobie5
16th Jul 2010, 23:01
Cargo fire warning!!! YGTBSM! Of course divert!

JoeShmoe
17th Jul 2010, 01:21
So without a confirmed fire warning, are you going to divert?
Backcourse into the hills of Cold Bay, marginal weather, overweight landing etc....just to find out it was Durian?

How much more confirmation do you need? Do you or do you not have a cargo fire warning? Of course you divert!!!!

Cedar Tree
17th Jul 2010, 05:40
Why hasn't Boeing or Airbus installed a video camera below in cargo to identify smoke visually, near the ducts? Surely there must be a way to get around these false alarms that are becoming a major issue!!

arse
17th Jul 2010, 11:12
Lucky it was summer time.

Off loading the cargo to continue with no more fire protection would be rather more difficult in extreme weather!

arse
17th Jul 2010, 11:15
A Google Earth search of Shemya gives a good view of the island and how sparse it is. It might be legal, but at times it would be operationally marginal!

Sqwak7700
18th Jul 2010, 14:36
Why hasn't Boeing or Airbus installed a video camera below in cargo to identify smoke visually, near the ducts? Surely there must be a way to get around these false alarms that are becoming a major issue!!

Was attempted but blocked by baggage handler unions in the US, seen as an invasion of privacy. Don't know why they didn't make it an airborne system.

I guess it all comes down to money. Any system you put on an aircraft needs to be operational, otherwise it needs to be on the MEL. Airline's see it as an extra costs and would therefore fight it at all costs.

This probably happens rarely enough that the costs of the occasional diversion do not outweigh the modification and maintenance costs to have cameras in the hold.

40Deg STH
18th Jul 2010, 16:03
Its my backyard. AA friggin good decision, well done. I take my hat off to them. I dread it, but will do the same, I hope.:ok::ok:

Durian or PINEAPPLE inserted will leave scars!!:D

FIRESYSOK
21st Jul 2010, 00:56
Swissair did have cameras with infrared installed on the MD11 fleet following their m
ishap. Great idea and should be standard equipment.

Sqwak7700
21st Jul 2010, 10:30
I don't know if I would classify a major accident where so many lost their life as a mishap. Not really something to make light of.

Shot Nancy
22nd Jul 2010, 07:01
SQ7700,

I don't know if I would classify a major accident where so many lost their life as a mishap. Not really something to make light of.

Gee, the guy is not making light of anything.

mishap [ˈmɪshæp]
n
1. an unfortunate accident
2. bad luck

Obviously an unfortunate accident.

You are detracting from the thread.

perfectenergy
8th Aug 2010, 04:28
Ex-C...great :ok: picture. for sure supply of beer is doubtful, but ice-cream is unlimited.