PDA

View Full Version : Improving job market Europe?

turbotop
13th Jul 2010, 14:30
Please correct me if i'm worong but things seem to be slowly improving in Europe with more operators hiring flight crew.

Rumour has it several UK and European operators are taking on including BMI regional. Emirates are having a road show and reducing required hours and more crew adverts appearing in general.

Anyone else getting the feeling the climb back up has started?

Captainkingkong
13th Jul 2010, 14:52
Just wait till BA and virgin start nibbling at a few .. stampede

protogenio
13th Jul 2010, 17:45
I think there's certainly more optimism in the industry,looks like Easyjet have mis-calculated thier pilots needs by a few hundred and between Emirates,Qatar and Etihad airlines thier demand for pilots with thier massive order books should create a vacuum in europe in the next few years !!

Kelly Hopper
13th Jul 2010, 17:48
Jobs abound outside Europe yes BUT.........
The correct type rating and experience on type is crucial. I cannot see anyone offering recurrent training yet let alone type training.
Korean have been advertising like crazy for a year now to no avail. don't these companies have a training budget at all or is it all down to us now?
Unfortunately I am stuck with two "white elephant" ratings and even if I find a position I am expected to fork out tens of thousands on training to currency just to apply.
There is a long way to go yet but perhaps better than 12 months ago? I can't see much in europe though.

emilmsveen
13th Jul 2010, 18:16
Crusial TODAY but...its very basic business thoery, its cheaper for the airlines to hire experienced pilots with the right ratings and to some degree lots of hours. And as long there is a surplus of pilots out there with these qualifications they can pick from top shelf. If you where top manager, why not do things the cheap way??
But when the need for pilots at some point gets bigger than whats avaliable out there, the market will turn. Of course there is still a lot of avaliable pilots out there as today, but right now there is LESS students and MORE hiring so I really belive that we are seeing the upturn on the horizon.

So the best of luck to all of us! :D

Vulcan607
16th Jul 2010, 11:36
I think things are looking pretty positive.

Rumours of approx 90 SFO's from easyjet apparently leaving to go to the middle east with emirates, gulf air, etihad etc - wether its true if 90 or so have done is another matter tho.

Heard rumours and read an article in either flyer/pilot mag a month or 2 ago that the BA guy John Monks was expecting BA to recruit in the next year or so too.

If these 2 points do happen hopefully that'll get some movement back within the job market.

Some of the smaller turbo-prop operators have recruited also within the past year.

Signs are there that an improvement is happening.....albeit slowly.

Everyone keep their chins up, keep smiling and keep current :ok:

PPRuNeUser0215
16th Jul 2010, 12:34
Only a rumour right but I have heard that from an Easymate of mine.

70 requests for references received by EZ in May/June from places mentioned by Vulcan607

Denti
16th Jul 2010, 12:35
Yup, the job market is slowly recovering from the beginning of this year allready. I'm more familiar with the german job market as i fly there, but we've seen air berlin taking on around 120 new FOs, most of them without rating and hours plus 20 short time FOs on loan from Lufthansa who will return to LH before their contract is up, yet the company is still around 10% short on all positions, which would indicate another required 200 to 300 newjoiners if the economic situation improves, AB pilots will be called to ballot for industrial action about working conditions now as personnel is stretched beyond its limit. Germanwings was hiring for a short while, condor is starting to hire both positions again, LH cargo took on some ready entry pilots that passed the entry tests before the crisis hit, fly niki is hiring both captains and FOs, though on a low rate at present. Cityling was hiring, but i do not know if they continue to do so with the new Lufthansa deal.

Add to that Emirates doing road shows and calling plus emailing all that ever tried to get hired by them, cargolux hiring (low numbers, but still) etc. It is not a boom by far, but things are improving.

cgwhitemonk
16th Jul 2010, 12:46
Good to see some encouraging news for a change. I just wanted to ask which you think is the better option for a young low hour pilot like myself (currently rated on A320 but with no hrs on type)...

Do I shell out €30K for 500hrs on type, taking a chance as with no garauntee of a job at the end?

Or....

Go with Ryanair and pay similar money to retrain on the B737 and work for them?

Im currently working at a normal job and am only 21 and wont have the money until January 2011 anyway but just wanted some advice as I'm going to have to make a decision whether to renew my A320 licence in the next few months...

Not wishing to open the debate about the morals of pay-to-work just looking for some expert advice :)

Leezyjet
16th Jul 2010, 13:52
^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/userpics/10172/dftt.gif (http://www.smileyvault.com/)

Please correct me if i'm worong

You're wrong !!!.
:E

A320rider
16th Jul 2010, 15:08
CGschmuck,

don't forget to buy at least 2000h on each type. after send me your resume, you can clean my house, toilet, and change the filter of my Jaguar for 20'000$ only.maybe I will select you, I have already lot of CV on my manager desk!

I will write you a nice certificate that you are a good boy and a funny man on this ****..y Pprune!...pm me for my bank account info.

@others:

ahahah, really you make me laugh all of you, naivety has reached his top.
do you know there are enough pilots for the next 10 years.maybe 15 years.
USA needs 7000pilots a year, EU:3000 pilots /year and in a good time.
total 10'000 pilots.I don't count other countries who train their own cadets.

in the world there is over 200'000 pilots unemployed maybe 300'000.
even if a rich kid start his training tomorrow, he may never get a job.if lucky in 12-15 years.
even if you see some hiring in the air, it' s not going to be forever. Once the FEW seats are occupied. airlines will stop to recruit, and no opening for 3 years at least.

so continue dreaming my little kitties. these jobs on 340/777 are not for you!!!. This is why you are all on PPrune to try to convince yourself the situation is improving.

Vulcan607
16th Jul 2010, 15:12
actually nice to see some positive comments on pprune for a change instead of the usual doom and gloom.

:E

JB007
17th Jul 2010, 09:55
My employer has been consistantly recruiting, a couple of cadets too, since the beginning of the year. And it looks like it's set to continue.

Nearly There
17th Jul 2010, 10:03
A320 why do you bother posting:ugh:

JB007
18th Jul 2010, 11:14
Add him to your 'ignore list' - it works wonders!

break_break
18th Jul 2010, 13:49
I wonder why the hostility towards A320rider when he actually beat many of us to posting what seems to be the obvious truth ===> The job market will NEVER be fantastic for the masses. Try reading and verifying his post carefully, he might have just saved some newbies from throwing away couple of hundreds Gs for nothing.
Don't get me wrong, the aviation job market will ALWAYS be great for the fortunate few, who managed to squeeze into the strong flag carriers of their respective countries. I understand how hard it is for aspiring chaps to hang in there and willing to do whatever it takes to get their ratings and find their way through, the numbers are way too compelling for any bean counters in ANY majors to soften their stand of paying "just about right" salary to all. And by the way, I seriously doubt A320rider has included the excess pilots from India in his computation. Perhaps you might wanna increase 10% to what you read there.
Please wake up, I have been in the industry for just couple of decades but I can tell you that I have heard this "improving sentiment" for the last 20years and it never really has. Those of you who are lucky to get a proper sponsored position in any major, good on you. For the rest, it's definitely your right to pursue your dream by taking huge mortgages but be rest assured that the odds of making it there is NOT as high as your training school advertisement is trying to convince you.
Alright there, I'm sure shots will be fired soon. Just couldn't resist it any more and best of luck for all the hopefuls out there.

Coffin Corner
18th Jul 2010, 20:08
JB007 who is your employer if you don't mind me asking? PM if you like

Thanks

CC

happyjack
19th Jul 2010, 09:37
Uhhh, Her Majesty's Government last time I heard!:ok:

aviationdreams91
7th Oct 2010, 12:57
the job market has never been that good , and finding and airline job after finishing training is always a very hard thing and never was easy . But if everyone thinks this way so nobody will train to be a pilot !! we just try to b optimistic and give our training the best and see how it goes :)