PDA

View Full Version : Cellular service in Saudi Arabia

Myster79
12th Jul 2010, 23:56
Can anyone tell me what the best option is for a cell phone in the Mid East. I am coming from the US and need something that I can use skype on to call back and forth to the family. I currently have verizon with the skype app. However, I can't use it to call home outside of the US. Verizon restricts skype to only operate over its network and has blocked it from working over wifi. I would like something where I can receive/make skype calls from my mobile. Any information will be appreciated.

Dubaian
13th Jul 2010, 10:00
Technically Skype is illegal in the UAE - where there are only 2 mobile and internet providers Etisalat & Du. But there are ways round it. Rules were made to be broken. The 2 'dominators' are talking about legalising it soon - but they'll probably charge for it.
Not sure if it can be done on a mobile phone in UAE however?? Someone will know...

The best answer might depend on which country you're based in - Bahrain & Kuwait or Qatar or Oman all will have different phone companies.

Dubaian
13th Jul 2010, 10:07
Sorry - I missed the title - the original topic text just says Middle East.
Never mind - might help somebody else.

Myster79
13th Jul 2010, 17:28
Thanks I appreciate the advice.

411A
13th Jul 2010, 18:30
Zain is best for SaudiArabia, and indeed, many places in the middle east/Africa.
However, for Americans that positively absolutely want to maintain contact with family in the USA, there is really only one option that offers unmatched reliability...worldwide.
AT&T.
$6/month for top notch worldwide mobile service, plus the cost of the individual call.
It gets through when others don't.
Even from Bobo Dialasso Burkina Faso....such as it is.:rolleyes:

jumbocpt
15th Jul 2010, 09:15
Skype works well. Since I needed to be in touch with the family in the USA, I signed up with ICONNECTHERE.com...
great service through your pc or laptop. 400 minutes a month to the US for $5.95...good deal..
I was with them 8 years in JED

Myster79
16th Jul 2010, 08:25
Thanks guys