PDA

View Full Version : Lights in the sky - Saturday 9th July

LowNSlow
12th Jul 2010, 09:31
My wife and I were in the garden around 11pm on Saturday night and we both saw a succession of lights in the sky South of Luton. A pair of reddish yellow lights of about 5mm visible diameter transitted West to East across the sky. They were followed by another pair a few minutes later and then by a third pair a few more minutes later. These were followed by a further five lights each a few minutes apart. Did any of you guys going into Luton or Stnastead witness it?

There's nothing on the NASA Near Earth Object Program website showing an expected meteor transit for the 9th so does anybody have any clues?

They weren't aircraft as there was the usual traffic around and these lights were very obviously not aircraft strobes etc.

PS There hadn't been an excessive amount of Cab Sav imbibed!!

Cloud Bunny
12th Jul 2010, 09:32
Chinese Lanterns?

PENKO
12th Jul 2010, 09:39
That's the first thing I thought. They should prohibit those! :ok:

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
12th Jul 2010, 09:39
Hmmmm.... I think Cloud Bunny is on the right track... but check for a crop circle in your window box, just in case...

LowNSlow
12th Jul 2010, 09:47
Aye, it was those rocket powered Chinese lanterns that can transit across the sky in 20 seconds :ok:

The wasteland that was my lawn doesn't have enough grass left for a decent crop circle although the cat chasing the squirrels around has left a pattern!

jcjeant
12th Jul 2010, 09:56
Hi,

Chinese lanterns

Yes they are fashion now to explain some strange lights reported by people..
No far ago it was the meteo balloons .. but seem's they are no more fashion today.
Seem's China is more and more appreciated for many things even they can produce some goods for explain the UFO's phenomena :)

PENKO
12th Jul 2010, 10:01
LownSlow, you did not say they were travelling that fast!

LowNSlow
12th Jul 2010, 10:08
PENKO they were really shifting, far faster than Mr. O'Leary's 73's going into Luton!

Checkboard
12th Jul 2010, 10:37
It's a visitation which has been seen around the world over the last week:

http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-general-aviation-questions/420047-ufo-over-geelong-tonight.html

They'll go away when they realise we have already wasted the planet's resources.

stepwilk
12th Jul 2010, 15:09
When this happens in my area (about 60 miles north of New York City), we know it's the local ultralight club/group. On hot summer nights when they have nothing better to do, they go up and formate in a big circle or some such assemblage, each ultralight carrying a lamp. They're high enough, and throttled back enough, that nobody can hear their chainsaw engines, and the phone lines all light up at police stations in a 25-mile radius, all reporting "a UFO." Happens all the time, works every time.

treadigraph
12th Jul 2010, 15:37
Reminds me of a certain Mr R Branson who had some rather strange shaped hot air balloons inflated in the pre-dawn close to the M25 near Reigate, 15 or 20 years ago - lot of calls to the Surrey police that morning of the "Mars Attacks" variety.

JEM60
12th Jul 2010, 18:51
Chinese lanterns almost certainly. Very common in Suffolk. One was released behind my bungalow in the daylight [!] yesterday. They are on sale in my local market,and are a big hit with the youngsters. Growing trend to have them.

learjet50
12th Jul 2010, 23:01
LowNSlow

Take more water with it Saturday nights at 2300 are Dangerous times your eyes play funny tricks with you

Stop drinking that Tesco Wine at £1.10 a bottle its from Bulgaria ?

Its good for unblocking your drains