PDA

View Full Version : Hour building in New Zealand

12th Jul 2010, 08:50
Hi all,

I'm in a pretty good situation as I have JAR-PPL and all ATPL theory and examination done and the next step is to start flying again. I am interested in building hours in some smaller (not too expensive) aeroclubs in NZ but I would like to get some information from students point of view or anyone who has had any experience with these clubs / schools and I would like to know how good are the places for hour building and living in general. I have visited NZ once so I have some kind of understanding about the kiwi life. Thanks for your help!

Here's some I would like to get more info about:
Ardmore flying school
Tauranga Aero club
Southern Wings
Wakatipu Aero club
Hawke's Bay
Canterbury AC (IAANZ?)

27/09
13th Jul 2010, 01:07
Before you can fly off by yourself you will need to convert your licence to a New Zealand licence, it's not too difficult, however if you have only the minumum hours for the PPL it is possible that you may not meet the requirements of a New Zealand licence. Best check out the New Zealand CAA website (Civil Aviation Authority of New Zealand (http://www.caa.govt.nz)) and look at the section on validating/converting licences.

There's some other good places that you may wish to check out,
North Shore Aero Club,
Waikato Aero Club,
New Plymouth Aero Club,
Flight Training Manawatu.

Most of these places have websites, a google search should find them for you. Also look at the FlyingNZ (Royal New Zealand Aero Club) website, they have info and links to most aero clubs in New Zealand. WELCOME TO FLYING NZ (http://www.flyingnz.co.nz/index.html)

15th Jul 2010, 11:55
Thanks for the links. So many small clubs here and there. I understood that I can fly the same planes with Validation Permit as I fly in my home country, but cannot get new type ratings in NZ without converting license to NZ PPL.
What do you think about the weather in the Southland in SH spring / summer compared to flying in North in general ? And I am a bit considered how there is planes available to book in these smaller clubs ?

Biggles78
16th Jul 2010, 15:21
Flying in the Mainland (South Island) can get real interesting when there is a strong Nor'wester blowing. The turbulance can be extremely violent. You don't have the same problem in the North Island since the tail end of the Southern Alps tapers off as it goes up and to the east side of the island. Wellington can have similar excitement when there is a wind blowing around there. My head has made contact with the roof several times when departing Wellington during a good blow. :eek:

Apart from the Nor'wester, flying during the mentioned period is usually really good and if the Nor'wester isn't too strong that doesn't present much of a problem. I cannot remember any time when I had to cancel a flight during the spring/summer months. Winter in the south is however a dfferent story. Cannot comment on winter flying nother of Cook Strait.

Getting an aircraft usually isn't a problem unless the club has competitions or a fly away has been organised. Weekends can be an issue but if you book early enough then you can get around that.

Aircraft availability can be ascertained by emailing the club and asking them. There are also some private aircraft for hire and it is just a matter of finding them and having the appropriate number of hours for their insurance requirements.

It's a great place to fly but them I do have a small degree of bias (that could be straightened if I applied a bit of rudder trim :O )

BG101
18th Jul 2010, 09:09
Anyone know the current rate of a/c rental? Best prices? Need to build some night hours... Have NZ licence already.

Many thanks

B

empacher48
18th Jul 2010, 09:27
As mentioned the Nor-Wester can get pretty strong.

Unfortunately the strongest winds do come around the Equinox, the month of October can usually mean weeks of the Nor-West blowing. The strongest wind I have seen on the ground was at my old workplace, where we saw a constant breeze of 70 (yes seventy) knots gusting to 100 knots. Once the summer does settle in usually the Nor-west comes through about once every 10 days or so with long spells of fantastic weather!

But enjoy your time flying around there - about the only place in a few hours flying you can see Mountains over 10,000 feet, glaciers, rain forest and grassy plains!

19th Jul 2010, 07:53
SASKATOON9999 Thanks for the tip. I got email back from them. Seems like good place so far.

BG101 I got recent rates of C152 and C172 from about ten schools. Check your PM's. The average rates are 152 = 163NZD 172 = 203NZD.

Does anybody have any experience about Bayflight in Tauranga ?

29th Jul 2010, 07:41
Bump. Would love to hear anyone else who's been in Nelson aviation college or in Bayflight!