PDA

View Full Version : First MEPL and then CPL/IR separate?

CCCP-82060
12th Jul 2010, 07:45
Hi all,

My aim is to get the frozen ATPL. Now I've finished PPL and got few more than 150 hours total time. The next step would be the CPL/IR/MEP training.
What do you mean, does it make sense to get the MEP rating first and the CPL/IR separate? Would it then be possible to count the IR MEP instruction as PIC time, because of already having the MEP rating?

Thanks alot.

Kind regards,

Joel

Immortal
12th Jul 2010, 19:10
I'm not sure what you mean by counting MEP time as being PIC while getting your IR, but the answer is no. You can't count time as PIC while you are being instructed because your instructor is the PIC. But I don't see why that would be a problem? If your TT is 150 hours, I would say that you already have 100 PIC hours??

As for the other question I would suggest that you take this route:

-ATPL theory
-CPL first (you can do it before reaching 200 hours, but it will be issued when you reach the 200 hours with 100 PIC hours and some other requirements)
-IR/ME

When you finish this you will have your Frozen ATPL. Do a MCC after this if you would like to apply for an airline job.

CCCP-82060
13th Jul 2010, 05:07
Yes, this was exactly my question. Thank you for answering.
I think I will complete the mandatory 6h MEPL first and then do a CPL/IR/MEP course at one time.

Thanks.

MagicTiger
13th Jul 2010, 06:32
normally you would do a CPL - then ME/IR.

However why do ME, and then CPL/IR/ME - you already have the ME!

ATPL theory is anyway first 6 - 12 month project.

CCCP-82060
13th Jul 2010, 08:04
Because the 6h MEP are a requirement for the beginning of an IR course. After these 6h you don't have a skill test, so you also won't have the MEP rating. This is the reason why CPL/IR/MEP training at one time.
Yes, I'm up to finish the ATPL ground course this year.