PDA

View Full Version : Afriqiyah/Brookfield.....The Truth

Towards the back
11th Jul 2010, 13:21
Finally leaving Afriqiyah to hopefully "greener" pastures. I did notice there are new adverts for Afriqiyah put up by Brookfield.

Before anyone jumps at the "opportunity" to join, let me put some things in perspective.

1) Brookfield will do absolutely nothing to help, assist, or otherwise provide any information to you to help you out. If you do have any problems, you're on your own.
2) Afriqiyah, does for the msot part, pay on time. The contract states you will be paid no later than the 5th business day of the month, that's usually when you're paid. However, there have been a few times where the pay was late and Brookfield will do nothing to nudge Afriqiyah along.
3) Living in Tripoli is not too bad, nice people, weather is much better than other places. However, your contract will specify either a hotel or apartment. Right now everyone, that the company is not paying the allowance to, is at the Janzour Beach Resort. Sounds great.....well, think again. Nothing to do around the resort, dirty beaches and loud crowds.
4) If you like your month planned out in advance with minimal changes, this is not the place for you. The rosters change almost on a minute by minute basis.
5) Be prepared to fly up to the mas allowed under the LCAA FTDL. And the nice part is, you will be asked almost on a daily basis to bust your limits.
6) There is a meal allownce in the contract for overnights. However, as an expat, don't expect to get many. That perk goes almost exclusively to the locals as they get almost 300% than the expats.
7) Typical African flying, usual headaches! Aircraft are farily well maintained and new.
8) Expect to have the SOP used for everything but what it was intended for. Language ability of pilots is varied. Makes flying to the EU destinations loads of fun.
9) You do get overtime, but there's a catch. It's only payable if you fly over 90 hours in a full calendar month. So, if you fly the last two days of one month and the first two days of the following month and log 90+ hours. You lose! Brookfield will not do a single thing about that.
10) The expat pilots that are still there are a good bunch of pilots. Hard working, dedicated and trying their best to get the place cleaned up. But, it's an uphill battle and one that I am not sure is doable.

Just trying to provide some information for anyone considering a "change".

Note: Mods if this is in the wrong forum, please feel free to move.

cavortingcheetah
11th Jul 2010, 17:00
Like to thank you for that input which was very interesting both from the take on Afriqihay and of course on Brookfield. That is really useful and I will remember not to stay at JBR next time in Libya. More of that sort of feed back is always fun and interesting.

Brookfield Abused
12th Jul 2010, 03:00
1) Brookfield will do absolutely nothing to help, assist, or otherwise provide any information to you to help you out. If you do have any problems, you're on your own.

This exactly what we all (5 guys) feel about/experience working for Brookfield here at Air China (330), Hainan Airlines (330/737) and Capital Jet (Gulfstream) that they have us contracted out to here in China.

Why are they like this?
Simple they get their "cut" (fee) no matter what you are owed..... so they slice the cheese and give you the mold!

captplaystation
12th Jul 2010, 17:46
Think you feel strongly about this :D but it might be more elegant if you were just to edit your original post with the extra info :rolleyes:

No surprises with this bunch, ask anyone from Ryanair who has had to deal with them.

Leopards / spots etc

Mister Geezer
13th Jul 2010, 19:10
(5) Be prepared to fly up to the mas allowed under the LCAA FTDL. And the nice part is, you will be asked almost on a daily basis to bust your limits.

I know that on face value does sound bang out of order but when you consider that the Libyan FTL scheme is published in an AIC, that gives you a idea of the context in how those rules ar viewed.

Sadly the FTL scheme is overlooked in many other operators too. The fact that many people are playing catch up with their careers after the sanctions, does not help this matter since many of the locals just want to fly!

exexexpat
14th Jul 2010, 12:35
I confirm everything you mentioned.

I would like to add that the Libyans take your passport when you arrive in the country, give you a card as expat, and give your passport back when you leave the country after one month (or when you fly). That means that you ARE NOT ALLOWED TO LEAVE THE COUNTRY in between even if you have days off.

In addition, to get your ticket to go home every months, you have to spend hours in Afriqiyah office waiting for the letter which authorizes you to go home.... which means: go to the office (45 minutes from Janzour), spend your time waiting for Afriqiyah people and go back to Janzour... sometimes without your paper and ticket because they were not in the mood to prepare it for you!!!!

Callsign Kilo
14th Jul 2010, 13:22
Jeez, you mist be paid a king's ransom if this is the case. It's hard to comprehend why else you would want to work in Libya for Afriqiyah???

Dani
14th Jul 2010, 13:53
Don't forget that they hold 2 Swiss citizens for randsom two and a half year without a reason (well, the reason was that Ghadaffi was angry about Switzerland). The same happened to the Bulgarian nurses.

Living in such a country is dangerous.

Dani

StressFree
14th Jul 2010, 15:59
These 'contracts' are a joke BUT the only reason that they exist is that a few poor souls keep signing up to them. This is the main reason for the huge downturn in pilots' terms and conditions. If we all held out for a good deal we could transform this business overnight and stop whoring ourselves to these people.
Before anyone criticises me for being in a cushy job and 'talking it up' let me tell you that I'm unemployed in 10 weeks time due to not accepting sh*t terms.

We are where we are because we've never made companies really pay for the skills and experience that we gave so much to acquire.

Lawyers or doctors or accountants would never be treated like we are :ugh:

Giggey
14th Jul 2010, 16:24
Too bad i have cancelled the pics with the Janzoor bed sheets covered with redish patches, the dust everywhere, the ants and the general left falling apart style of the Janzoor village.

This would have been the perfect place to publish them.

Some of the Guys even said it was alright and acceptable.

We have turned this category in a bunch of mercenaries which would kill their mother for a piece of bread.

Thank god i'm out of that crap.

swedflyer
15th Jul 2010, 11:31
Dani

Who hold the Swiss? Afriqiyah or Brookfield?

Where have you been the last months? Search and thou should find.

No defense of anything else, just a correction.

Btw, the thread is about Afriqiyah/Brookfield.

DownIn3Green
17th Jul 2010, 23:57
Once again...I've done 3 yes count 3) contracts for Brookfield...2 in Africa and 1 in Saudi (for the Royal Family...very high up) and I've never had a problem re: terms/conditions or anything else...

It seems to me that some of you are complaining because you really don't realize what "EX-PAT" flying is all about...

David or Bernie...you know who I am from the Baltic States, Cameroon and the gig in Saudi in 96-97...and let's not forget the Congo Point of No Return (PNR)...PM me here if you need a Capt...I'm aviable and ready to work...(And I know my way around Arfica)...

For the rest of you "Ex-Pats" considerimg Brookfield, my advice would be deal with the "Boss(es)", not the person who answers the phone...

Mister Geezer
18th Jul 2010, 07:39
I would like to add that the Libyans take your passport when you arrive in the country, give you a card as expat, and give your passport back when you leave the country after one month (or when you fly). That means that you ARE NOT ALLOWED TO LEAVE THE COUNTRY in between even if you have days off.

If this is the case then this restriction is imposed by Afriqiyah and not the Immigration authorities. I used to work out in Libya (not for Afriqiyah) and due to the fact I was crew, I had my visa stamped to allow multi entry/exit. Such a stamp is rare but it is available.

DownIn3Green
19th Jul 2010, 21:13
Geezer...Same for me in Saudi...I can't read "worm scribble" but I kept my passport and Iguama...Not the same for ground crew, however...

july66
21st Jul 2010, 13:32
I've done three contracts for Brookfield too. Never had a problem - money always on time, staff are helpful, knowledgeable and courteous. I guess some pilots are never happy with anything though. Libya was a great experience.

DownIn3Green
21st Jul 2010, 21:26
Well said, July66....