PDA

View Full Version : Cyprus style Meze

SOSL
11th Jul 2010, 11:09
I'm planning to cook a meze (Cyprus style) for some friends next week. Anyone who has experienced the tavernas might like to let me know what their favourite meze dish is? Not strictly aviation, I know, but there are a lot of military air and ground crew out there who will remember the Randevous and Peppes.

Finnpog
11th Jul 2010, 11:28
Stuffed vine leaves, hummus, olives and lamb kleftiko do it for me!!

Finn

Dengue_Dude
11th Jul 2010, 11:32
Kokinelli and lots of it - food doesn't really matter after that!

BEagle
11th Jul 2010, 11:34
Never was terribly keen on a Meze after some horribly crunchy bits of unknown beast were included in one mezze course in Limasol. Even the bondhu cats wouldn't eat whatever it was; perhaps they were related to it?

A proper Akrotiri kebab, though.....:ok:

For those unfamiliar, I offer this old thread http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/77559-kokkinelli-kebab-darkens-stool.html .

Dengue_Dude
11th Jul 2010, 11:35
. . . oh, and I nearly forgot . . . have some Kokinelli :D

Yeller_Gait
11th Jul 2010, 11:44
Grilled haloumi cheese and lamb chops was always my favorite at Chris's. And kokinelli of course.

Y_G

Clockwork Mouse
11th Jul 2010, 12:04
Taramosalata, kalamari, keftedes, loukanika and sheftalia. Watch out for the Kokinelli!

AYTCH
11th Jul 2010, 12:10
Not forgetting 'Nose-warmers' that can be filled with the shredded lettuce and Tsatsiki or Hummus and then be thrown up into the ceiling fan (if you have one in your house) to allow every diner to enjoy a bit!!! :}

Tashengurt
11th Jul 2010, 12:19
Sheftalia kebabs! From the little shack next to the Naafi. Those never ending Kebabs at Chris'
What the hell was Kokinelli? Apart from plentiful and cheap. Would any of us drink it by choice anywhere else?

Siggie
11th Jul 2010, 13:04
If you want the total Chris experience, don't forget to have the toilets back up before the yoghurt throwing. Forget Kokinelli, Pandemonium gave the greatest hangover!

alwayzinit
11th Jul 2010, 13:53
oh the memories...............:ok:

talking about Chris Kebebs anyone remember the "Lightning Strike on Radar" incident?

Mr C Hinecap
11th Jul 2010, 14:08
Ensure you cover the walls of your abode with tacky tea towels from around the UK for that Chris' Kebab authenticity.

Lamb-based meat products, nosewarmers, beer in bottles (Carlsberg of course) and lots of hummus etc.

Rossian
11th Jul 2010, 14:12
...the piece of god-knows-what liver fried until it's a good substitute for a flip-flop. (I may, inadvertantly, have eaten a flip-flop at Chris Kebab thinking it was a piece of liver that had fallen off the table). Kokinelli is just "village wine" although there was that dreadful invention "kok-in-a-box" in an attempt to bring it into the 20th century; but it just wasn't the same as getting red screech out of a Liebfraumilch bottle - be honest. Is it still around? It didn't deserve to be.

The Ancient Mariner

oldbeefer
11th Jul 2010, 14:40
Funny - tried to re-create a brandy sour back home. Didn't taste the same without local Cyrus ingredients!

AYTCH
11th Jul 2010, 15:29
Was that Miley or Billy Ray?? :} Mind you after a kebab and eleventeen pints of Kokinelli i couldn't speak never mind spell!! ;)

SirPeterHardingsLovechild
11th Jul 2010, 15:34
http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/161767-brandy-sour.html

As mentioned many times, the key ingredient is the local lemon juice (squash? cordial?) It is different to stuff in UK, has more natural ingredients and will go orf quicker than the stuff we're used to. So if you go to the trouble of importing the proper stuff, use it before it goes manky. My recommendation would be Kean, but I have seen Lex & Lanitis mentioned. Ascoteers, of course, can request it from Flt Catering on the way home and nick it.

Secondly, Cyprus Bitters is a local version of Angostura Bitters, and is added as a squirt rather than a few drops.

Soda water is the correct mixer, if you use lemonade, it is a 'Brandy Sweet'

Therefore:-

50/50 Keo Brandy and Kean Lemon Juice
then 50/50 again with Soda water
Squirt of Cyprus Bitters

Add ice, bendy straw, stir well, drink, and reminice....

...which is exactly what I am doing now, as I am kebab critical to the tune of 2 years, hoping to regain my currency in a couple of months

(Sylvana's by a mile)

Tankertrashnav
11th Jul 2010, 15:39
I suspect a few of the older hands will remember Niazis in Limassol which was a favourite RAF haunt. After the 1974 war he disappeared and I suspected he'd ended up in one of his own kebabs, but Ive just Googled him and find out after all these years that he simply re-located to Kyrenia, in Northern Cyprus, where the business is still going strong :ok:

Have a look at his website Niazi's Restaurants - North Cyprus (http://www.niazis.com/). Look at the photo gallery - there's lots of pics of RAF types eating there in the pre '74 period. Didnt we look smart in our long sleeved shirts and ties!

Never heard of Chris's btw, but I suspect I'm far too old!

BEagle
11th Jul 2010, 15:58
My first trip to Akrotiri was in the mighty Tin Triangle and, as one does, we went out for a kebab. That was in 1977, just 3 years after the Turkish invasion...

We went to Mahmoud's in Limassol which was highly recommended and was rather good. But one of the waiters took rather a shine to the AEO (lord knows why...). "You been here before", he queried. "Yes", said the AEO. "I no remember you?" was the reply.

"Quite probably. Because when I was last here, this place was run by a Turkish chap and was known as Niazi's...."

At which the waiter flounced off in a huff....:ooh:

Not sure whether it's true - was Mahmoud's originally Niazi's? Older readers may know the answer.

Dengue_Dude
11th Jul 2010, 16:02
If memory serves, Chris's was set up well after the pull out - was that Op Ablaut or something? I did some auxiliary crew stuff just before starting the Herc OCU at Thorney. We sat down the back with all the holiday-makers who got pulled out in short order - some still in their beachware.

. . . er did I mention Kokinelli?

Brandy Sours were big trouble, apparently I told the British Ambassador's daughter she had a better moustache than our Navigator after one or three Brandy Sours.

Self control is, of course, soluble in alcohol.

goudie
11th Jul 2010, 16:15
Niazis in LimassolHad a few good Sqdn bashes there. Also there was Big Ariffs and Little Ariffs
Little Ariffs was in the the forecourt of a Shell garage in the Turkish quarter.The garage closed at 6pm and out came the tables and chairs. Food was cooked across the road. Very nimble waiters.
Kokinelli was free and served cold. I've seen it fell hard drinking Paras.

BEagle
11th Jul 2010, 16:20
...apparently I told the British Ambassador's daughter she had a better moustache than our Navigator...

Were you absolutely certain it was her moustache...:ooh:

Dengue_Dude
11th Jul 2010, 16:27
Sadly it WAS, she badly needed plucking.

Worse still, on the same evening, in a case of mistaken identity, I told her dad to fox oscar (from his own do, in Addis).

Got back off the det to learn I'd been awarded accelerated promotion (the Wingco met the aircraft . . . oh dear). He phrased it 'unless you can think of any reason to the contrary you can stick your Master up on January 1st'.

I've not drunk Brandy Sours (in any quantity) since.

I think my favourite (because we still do it) is haloumi fried in olive oil or on the Weber (on a flat plate).

Don't forget the kokinelli. I had some a couple of years ago in Paphos and it tasted far too good to be the 'real' thing :D

Dengue_Dude
11th Jul 2010, 16:31
Come to think of it, this was all witnessed by Davy Whiting the 47SF loadie, if he's still around.

I seem to remember his forte was GEE. I shall stop now as it's quite a thread drift.

Nomorefreetime
11th Jul 2010, 17:06
Souvla.
I've got a pork one on the go and will be eating it shortly....If you can get hold of a Souvla BBQ, It will knock the socks of anything else you cook.
2 x 3 years in AKT have spoilt me

fincastle84
11th Jul 2010, 17:06
I always enjoyed the liver, as long as it wasn't overcooked. However, either it or the Kokinelli always gave me the squits. Therefore, don't forget the immodium.

Lima Juliet
11th Jul 2010, 17:38
Of course, you must have a "Cyprus Racing Chicken" in your courses...

...here is the last one to have bred in captivity:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2417/2096377846_7c47030af7.jpg?v=0

dkh51250
11th Jul 2010, 18:54
The "only" place to eat in Limassol was PAMBOS. Not one stick of matching furniture or cutlery, coupled with his coke bottle bottom glasses and ex army hobnailed boots gave the place that "special "something.

Went back 18 months ago to try and find it, all to no avail. But, the portions were of legendary size, and he took it as a personal slight if the merest morsel were left.

sargs
11th Jul 2010, 19:07
Not sure whether it's true - was Mahmoud's originally Niazi's? Older readers may know the answer.

BEags - No, Mahmoud's and Niazzi's were separate. I suspect the reason the waiter flounced off was probably because you reminded him that the restaurant did not actually, originally, belong to him......

Was in Niazzi's in Kyrenia (Girne) last year - still a good kebab. As I remember, all the best kebabs pre-invasion were Turkish.

Herod
11th Jul 2010, 19:18
Always remember, if drinking kokinelli or pandemonium, make sure you have the "evening" wine. That's the one that has had the whole day to mature.

A good dessert is the brandy sour icecream. Make sure the icecream is really cold and pour a shot of brandy sour over it. Enjoy. ;)

Saintsman
11th Jul 2010, 19:36
Ah, Pambos, with Jimmy Hendrix painted on the wall. No choices, just what you were given. Bloody marvolous.

Was the food fight obligatory?

dkh51250
11th Jul 2010, 19:45
The food fight was mandatory.

ricardian
11th Jul 2010, 19:47
Also there was Big Ariffs and Little Ariffs
Little Ariffs was in the the forecourt of a Shell garage in the Turkish quarter.The garage closed at 6pm and out came the tables and chairs. Food was cooked across the road. Very nimble waiters.
Kokinelli was free and served cold. I've seen it fell hard drinking Paras.
At sometime during my stay in Akrotiri 1965-67 we were all horrified when the price of a kebab in Big and Little Ariffs went up from 350 mils to 500 mils. (7/- to 10/- or 35p to 50p)

Tankertrashnav
11th Jul 2010, 19:54
Dengue Dude

What was that wine called again? ;)

Anyone remember the Limassol Wine Festival in the park? You bought an empty carafe at the gate - 50 mils (one shilling, or 5p) as I recall - and you just had it refilled gratis from the various stands. They used to drain the ornamental pool and fill it with that wine that DD mentioned, an open invitation to have squaddies swimming in it by the end of the evening.

goudie
11th Jul 2010, 20:03
Held sometime in October I believe TTN. And yes the squaddies certainly did leap into the pool.

350 mils to 500 mils.
You could pay a C£1.00 in some of the posher restaurants.

Dengue_Dude
11th Jul 2010, 21:06
Memory is not what it was . . .

. . . but I'm sure I did mention it - perhaps even more than once :E

11th Jul 2010, 21:48
The "only" place to eat in Limassol was PAMBOS

rang a distant little bell

Ah, Pambos, with Jimmy Hendrix painted on the wall

rang a girt big one, was it on the old bypass?

I notice the thread originator mentions Cyprus Meze, which is very different to (Akrotiri) Kebab.

In my day (80's onwards) yer Meze was at Mahmout's or Arivana's

Fish, Meat or Mixed

Step daughter was confronted with a frog peering up out of the toilet bowl in Mahmout's

figjam
12th Jul 2010, 13:05

We arrived late to Akrotiri and were bussed to the Curious (Curium) palace.

Next morning when I went for my exploratory walk, I noticed what I thought was an elephant over the fence. This proved to be true. I was outside the zoo.

I have since been informed that the elephant has passed away.

That evening we went to Niazi's to eat and deliver a gift from a squadron member who had been previously served at Akrotiri.

Our reception there was less than friendly (very busy).

We took umbridge and went to Little Araf's.

What a place!

The food was only a side show!

What a great night we had. I think the cats ate more of the 'chicken' than we did.

"Kokonelli is free!" was the cry of Arif (or whoever). Anyway, we took him at his word.

After we had been fed and watered to the gunnels, he ferried us back to the Curious Palace and charged us 10 bob each.

I am sure there are many ex RAF members who have similar stories.

Gainesy
12th Jul 2010, 13:26
Step daughter was confronted with a frog peering up out of the toilet bowl in Mahmout's

Tch, bloody Transall Loadies.:hmm:

12th Jul 2010, 13:40
Our reception there was less than friendly

That's all part of the dining experience!

Same Step-Daughter asked for Fish & Chips at Chris Kebab

(Young) Chris replied

'It's a f*cking kebab house!'

Old Sophocles (RIP) down at Ladies Mile Taverna was a convicted terrorist (or Samsonite perhaps, har har, geddit?) but he would brush it all off with 'But we're all friends now'

SOSL
12th Jul 2010, 15:52
Thanks guys and gals for all your suggestions. I cant do the whole 27 ft, hence Mezette. If you like I could post the menu when I decide what to cook. (BTW 9 yds or 27 ft was the length of the ammunition belts feeding the guns in the WW1 string bags - see; this connects to military aviation!)

SOSL
12th Jul 2010, 16:02
Just been looking at the Brandy Sour posts.

I have found that cheapest possible brandy you can get from supermarket, ordinary soda water, Angostura and Robinsonson's Lemon Barley Water works rather well. I recommend it to military air and ground crew (see the link to the forum title?).

Tankertrashnav
12th Jul 2010, 16:11
Slight thread drift - but does anyone remember the magic Limassol taxis? You got in the back, briefly closed your eyes, then slid over to the other door and got out to find yourself at Akrotiri guardroom. Never did find out how it worked :confused:

The taxis were usually old Mercedes 190 diesels - I remember one driver claiming his had done over 600k miles, and judging by the state of the bodywork he may well have been right.

alwayzinit
12th Jul 2010, 16:54
Apologies for the thread drift that follows.

In 74 was but a spotty faced lad on holiday with my Ma and Pa in Kyrenia.

The "holiday" was cut short somewhat with Archbish M being chased off and that bunch of nutters taking over.....................

When the villages on the northern slopes of the coastal hills began to burn my Pa reckoned that it would take Johnny Turk a fortnight to get organised. Well even Dads can be wrong as we were woken the next dawn by the familiar odour of aviation fuel and the scream of a pair of F100s pickling off a pair of naparm canisters into the olive grove at the back of our hotel where some ancient T34s were parked up.

The for real "air display" by a swarm of UH1s going to Nicosia (somewhat higher and fewer on the return journey:(), F104s smoking in at low level plus a Turkish CF Adams DDG shelling the old fort was a real eye opener for me and probably had a lot to do with me joining up later.

It was only after a RN Wasp with an Admiral in full formal gear who organised the convoy of hire cars etc to 8 mile beach with the Paras (UN in still wet paint on the side of their Ferrets) + Marines etc for our Helo trip onto HMS Hermes, that we found out that the guys from Akrotiri were flying CAP.

So its a bit late I know but thanks for the top cover guys.:D

Wonder if our suitcases are still behind the door where we left them.......

goudie
12th Jul 2010, 18:48
the magic Limassol taxis?

Total thread drift I know but the taxi drivers were a vital part of the Service families infrastructure in Limassol. As soon as you arrived they took over the whole process of finding you accommodation, taking you to the supermarket to buy your initial supplies and ensuring you were well settled in before moving on to the next batch of newcomers. They were lecherous rogues, getting backhanders from all and sundry but the system would never have worked without them.

Tashengurt
12th Jul 2010, 21:50
For a bit extra the taxi drivers could be persuaded to take one extra in the boot.
Also recall stowing away on 216s' coach returning from the kebab house. On realising it was going way over the other side of the base from us I ran to the front with my hand clamped over my mouth as one of their lasses shouted "He's going to be sick!" and was turfed off just in front of my room. (poetic licence there, I think it took a half hour wander through the bondu to get back!)
I was all of seventeen at the time.

Herod
12th Jul 2010, 22:29
Allwayzinit, you may have been a passenger of mine. I was flying the C130 at the time and brought back a couple of loads of "refugees". Interesting aside; on contact with French ATC (Marseilles?) the first question was "do you have any French passengers?" If the answer was yes, it was contact military radar and direct Abbeville, if not, the whole airways route. Strangely enough, every aircraft seemed to have a couple of distressed Frenchmen aboard. :ok:

cargosales
12th Jul 2010, 23:19
Held sometime in October I believe TTN.

Sorry, further minor thread again ... Limassol Wine Festival was definitely in September last time I was there...

.. and despite many refillls of the small glass I still remember our group pausing to partake of a kebab from one of the stalls in the grounds and the err incident which quickly followed ...

Scene: three 'tired and emotional' chaps munching happily on kebabs when

Fourth chap says "What do you reckon to these then lads?"

Three x mumbles of something approximating to "Lovely grub, needed this, hic" etc

Fourth chap (in very loud voice) "Excellent.. Glad you're all enjoying this donkey kebab so much!

Enter very rapidly stage left an aggrieved stallholder ..

Stavros: "Donkey? What do you mean donkey? Are you accusing me of selling you fine gentlemen donkey meat in the kebabs you are so obviously enjoying. Would I do that to you / What kind of person do you take me for? etc etc etc etc etc"

Fourth mate (being genuinely sincere): "Yup it's donkey alright. I grew up in India mate and I've had it loads of times. Stop getting so upset - you've cooked it really well which is why we're all enjoying it so much"

Exit stage a very puzzled and suddenly quietened stallholder...

CS

Vim_Fuego
13th Jul 2010, 06:34
About 23 years ago I had my 18th in Cyprus...There used to be a couple of kebab houses not far from the camp...Chris's and I think the other one was called the Swan? Anyway at that tender age I sat in wonder watching the crusty old experienced types ruthlessly haggling with the waiter for Kokkinelli...It went along the lines of 'So we'll pay for 5 you give us 15 for free'...And then you'd only be paying pennies for the ones that you did get stung for...Toasted squeaky cheese sometimes sandwiched with a piece of ham was always my favourite!

Off topic but worth the tale...There for a week on the Nimrod(MR2) ...went down town till late O' clock so cab drops off at gate which as most of you know is sodding miles from where you sleep...None of us fancy the walk so set up camp sat on the kerb chatting to guards waiting for other sort of cab to come get us...Getting later now and still no wheels when the milk delivery van pitches up...As he stops at the gate to secure his entry a number of quick thinking Nim guys cling to the back of his truck without him knowing and off he sets...Myself and another dry guy opt to wait and a couple of minutes later a cab arrives...we set off cursing our much cleverer colleagues who are probably in bed by now for free...Get back to 12 man room to discover its empty...Can't think of a solution so bed down as its now really late and briefings beckon in the AM...About 2 hours later the rest stumble through the door coughing, puking and cursing with bits of bondu sticking out of their hair and clothing...The milk truck had set off at a healthy pace of about 50-60 MPH causing them to cling like spider monkies before hanging a right down to the hospital hitting every bump on the way...On stopping at the hospital he was most shocked (near heart attack apparently) to discover lots of people collapsed in a white faced heap at the back of his truck..After much shouting from the driver they were forced to jog/yomp (with bellies full of all the usual Cypriot social products) across open country back to the blocks which I'm lead to believe is no short distance! I miss those days....

alwayzinit
13th Jul 2010, 07:12
Hi Herod

Our trip home was not with you I'm afraid, for us it was a -10 facing backwards!

back to tread......................

Simply can't look a glass of Kokineli in the eye without THAT feeling!!And that bloody liverish stuff:sad:.

Do remember,just, having had no chance of reaching the heads being in an end room, making the window..................having finished:yuk: looked down to see one of the many ferral cats looking up at me with an extremely p#ssed off expression.

"Don't remember eating that!":confused:

Ah the memories of Her Mag's Ossifer's

Gainesy
13th Jul 2010, 09:28
BTW 9 yds or 27 ft was the length of the ammunition belts feeding the guns in the WW1 string bags

Nope, they used drums of ammo.:p 9yds was WWII USAAF.

Agree on the Lemon barley water making a passible Cyp Brandy Sour but it has to be Robinson's, as you say.

L'sol Wine Festival Fountain usually had a packet of Daz lobbed into it ISTR.

Anyone remember Lofty's bar at the (then, 1969-72) west end of the Bypass. Twas my local for a couple of years.

Pontius Navigator
13th Jul 2010, 10:19
After my last kebab meal I went to pay the sqn bill. An old boy, with an impossibly long length of ash on his cigarette was mixing the meat for the kebab sausages. The ash fell into the mix and was duly worked in to the sausages.

But these were really Turkish kebab restaurants.

More recently we had a great fish meze in Epi village. Deep fried baby crab was one delicacy.

Gainesy
13th Jul 2010, 10:49
I am amazed at the notion of paying for Kokinelli. Are you all quite, quite mad?:)

SOSL
13th Jul 2010, 11:14
Thanks for the gen re drums & belts. I like being corrected when I've got something wrong; it improves my knowledge base http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/embarass.gif. glad you agree about Robinson's LBW.

Mr C Hinecap
13th Jul 2010, 11:48
I forgot about the one thing that is a dead cert for an authentic AKT mezze

Halfway through your meal, another group of men must arrive for their own meal. They will be another a/c type crew also passing through. Amongst them will be someone you haven't seen in 15 years who you end up talking bolleaux to for the rest of the night and probably not see for another 15 years.

Union Jack
13th Jul 2010, 11:51
It was only after a RN Wasp with an Admiral in full formal gear who organised the convoy of hire cars etc to 8 mile beach with the Paras (UN in still wet paint on the side of their Ferrets) + Marines etc for our Helo trip onto HMS Hermes, that we found out that the guys from Akrotiri were flying CAP.

Alwayzinit - I suspect that the guy to whom you refer was actually a four stripe Captain at the time, but dressed precisely as you say as he strode along the jetty at Kyrenia knocking Turkish soldiers out of the way with his silver-headed Malacca cane! He had only been in command of ANDROMEDA and the 6th (?) Frigate Squadron for about two days when, instead of turning left out of Grand Harbour Malta to sail back to UK for refit, she turned right and headed for Kyrenia - the good news is that he was awarded the CBE for that operation and did go on to become a Vice Admiral - one of the very good guys too.:ok:

For an even more significant Military Aircrew connection have a look at Captain Ian McKechnie - Herald Scotland | Sport | SPL | Aberdeen (http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/aberdeen/captain-ian-mckechnie-1.119353) , which is sadly the ANDROMEDA's Flight Commander's subsequent obituary, and read and respect the part he and his Wasp played in the Cyprus operation, as well as how he became a member of the Caterpillar Club as a Sea Vixen pilot.:ok::ok:

Jack

SOSL
13th Jul 2010, 12:23
Pontius, your post reminded me that there used to be (1983/84 ish) an interesting taverna in Episkopi village called the Episkopi Village Inn (IIRC).

It was run by a brit. A really entertaining host with a seriously plummy english public school type accent and, aware of litigation as I am, I won't mention his belly.

I remember having a splendid meze in the courtyard one evening, sitting under a Basil bush as big as a big Basil bush and with a fantastic scent.

I was dining with (ex) Mrs SOSL and Miss SOSL No. 1 (4 weeks old) parked in a carrycot next to the table. I seem to remember that there were some 84 Sqn Aircrew there that night and a hairy old winchman revealed his soft side by tickling Miss SOSL's tummy (today he would have been arrested).

The grilled liver was superb.

What fun we had!

alwayzinit
13th Jul 2010, 12:28
UJ, Admiral or not the Gentleman concerned was an absolute card, as you say slashing aside whomever tried to get in his way.:D A chip of the "Nelsonic Block".

Did you see the curious Union Flag that was flown by some tourists on the harbour entance? Made from a white bed sheet, sky blue and pink beach towels. Clever old stick my Ma!

My only bad memory of the whole 10 day thing was narrowly missing out on a Darwin Award, by rushing out to pick up some hot shrapnel form the fort shelling. My Pop nearly laid an egg but was too late to stop me.

Imagine my surprise when on turning around to go back inside, lo, there were some really big sharp bits that I must have "missed" on the way out:eek:.

I had a new one torn for me by my Pop after that. :O

SOSL
13th Jul 2010, 12:40
Hey guys, with great respect to your recollections; minor thread drift is usually entertaining, but major thread drift is confusing and defeats the purpose.

13th Jul 2010, 12:50
Epi Village Inn is a lovely place in the centre of the village, now run by a Husband & Wife team, Husband (native) - Chef, & wife (Ginger Cockney) - Manager. It is there that I was served what has now become my own signature dish - Beef medalions in Roquefort sauce avec mushrooms et frittes.

It's right posh now. Shame about the brothel across the street (not anymore)

Not to be confused with the Epi Village Pub down the hill on the main road.

Free Kokkinelli? Don't make me laugh!

How do you think they paid for a church this size in a small village?

http://www.kypros-cyprus.com/images/Church.jpg

I can only speak from the early eighties onwards, but 'free kokkinelli' was always based on one free bottle per two people. Of course, if there was a big do, negotiations could take place, but don't insult their intelligence!

Maybe the Cypriots were the first to invent 'Loss Leaders', 30 years ahead of Tesco.

I remember standing on a table in the courtyard in Sylvanas, offering my cigarette lighter up to the rafia roof, demanding free Flamin' Filfar. But it turned into a 'Climb up on Sunshine Mountain' and the table sank down to ground level, once the whole squadron had joined me.

Altogether now:-

'We're climbin' up sunshine mountain........'

SOSL
13th Jul 2010, 13:05
Sir Peter,

great to hear its still trading. It was considered to be an upmarket venue even in 1984. Sent you a PM

Union Jack
13th Jul 2010, 14:48
SOSL

..... minor thread drift is usually entertaining, but major thread drift is confusing and defeats the purpose....

SOSLorry to have "drifted" into your private thread about brandy sours, ammunition belts and, oh yes, meze ......:rolleyes:

Jack

Union Jack
13th Jul 2010, 14:54
Alwazinit

Did you see the curious Union Flag that was flown by some tourists on the harbour entance? Made from a white bed sheet, sky blue and pink beach towels. Clever old stick my Ma!

At the risk of upsetting SOSL as he sips his umpteenth ersatz brandy sour, no I did not but the 'chip of the "Nelsonic Block"' told me about it - glad you all got our safely, albeit negative cases!:ok:

Jack

Top Bunk Tester
13th Jul 2010, 17:04
SPHLC

Is there anything you have stepped on that hasn't collapsed....ladders, tables...... how long is the list? :}

Saintsman
13th Jul 2010, 18:26
Maybe the Cypriots were the first to invent 'Loss Leaders', 30 years ahead of Tesco.

You used to pay for the first bottle and the rest came free and they still managed to make a profit on that!

SOSL
14th Jul 2010, 09:20
Sorry, guys, didn't mean to offend. You're right, UJ it was a stupid post.

SOS

14th Jul 2010, 14:51
Would reciting Old MacDonald had a Farm, in Greek be within thread boundaries?

It's certainly got me free kokkinelli over the years (although there is no such thing as free kokkinelli)

Rossian
14th Jul 2010, 16:27
....you realise, of course, we all will want to know what you eventually feed your poor guests with in the final event. (And the photos to prove it!). Any hard decisions so far?

The Ancient Mariner

Union Jack
14th Jul 2010, 18:37
Sorry, guys, didn't mean to offend ....

SOSL .... and absolutely no offence was taken!:ok: As I'm sure you are aware, the Military Aircrew threads are very often a sort of "Service Jet Blast" in any case and, in view of Alwayzinit's experiences in Kyrenia, I felt it was worth filling in some of the background to his adventures - and bring in the little known tale of how well ANDROMEDA's Flight Commander had done.

Probably the most extraordinary aspect of this was that, presumably because of the perceived need to hush up the Turkish friendly fire sinking of their own ship, Ian McKechnie was never awarded the AFC he thoroughly deserved.

Jack

Dengue_Dude
14th Jul 2010, 18:57
This is not so much thread drift as full speed ahead!

Do you remember Neddie's Bar in one end of Movements shed, where nervous passengers were trying to work out whether we were the inbound crew wrapping ourselves around the Keo, or the outbound crew fortifying ourselves for the pain to come!! Albert was a noisy bugger.

Eventually we all got told to shove off by the staish and couldn't do that anymore so repaired to Blocks 100, 101 and 102 if I remember right (it WAS 35 years ago).

Tankertrashnav
14th Jul 2010, 19:29
Blocks 100, 101 and 102 if I remember right (it WAS 35 years ago).

Which, IFRC were the luxury air-conditioned blocks, usually reserved for Air Support transit crews, while we lower mortals went into non-air-conditioned quarters.

On one famous occasion an unwise loady called out "look at the tanker trash" from the door of his luxury billet as a Victor crew traipsed to their block after a hot sweaty trail. Unfortunately for him a well-known red headed old sqn ldr nav was on the crew, and he wasn't taking that from some jumped up young sergeant. Aforementioned loady found himself ejected from his cushy room within the hour and some lucky tanker guy moved in in his place.

This is not so much thread drift as full speed ahead!

Gone into warp drive now - sorry!

Dengue_Dude
14th Jul 2010, 19:52
You could have sent Pete Langan to talk him to death!!

Which, IFRC were the luxury air-conditioned blocks, usually reserved for Air Support transit crews, while we lower mortals went into non-air-conditioned quarters.

And . . . ? We always thought you were roughy-toughy types :cool: who enjoyed discomfort.

SOSL
11th Aug 2011, 16:57
Beags, in a roundabout way, reminded me that I hadn't lived up to my promise on an old thread. He makes a distinction between Meze and Kebab but it would be difficult to tell the difference when it was piled onto your plate.

So here it is: Thanks for all inputs and this is what I finally dished up to my mates:

lots of stale (village) bread
lots of grapes
lots of Choriatiki salata
Lots of (really nasty) olives

Tahini
Tzatziki
Skordalia
Taramosalata

Pourgouri (Bulghar wheat with onions and tomatoes)

Halloumi & Luntza
Grilled liver

Pork Stiphado

Kleftico
More Kleftico

Koupes (deep fried minced lamb with mint and garlic in Bulghar wheat)

More grapes

A surprising amount of Cypriot wine and brandy (including Brandy Sours), bought in the UK.

Fruit salad and ice cream (the only non-cypriot element; Cyps ate enormous amounts of really good fruit but fruit salad was a prissy Brit thing and Cypriot ice cream (gelata) wasn't that good).

OKOC
25th Aug 2011, 15:12
Mini thread drift...but does anyone remember the (bit dodgy;) )waiter in the OM who also sold shoes back in the 70's and 80's..I think his name was Chris too but not the same dodgy ;) Chris of Keebab fame. I REALLY could go a chriskebab now.

Kitsune
25th Aug 2011, 16:55
Which was the restaurant where the two 101 Sqn chappies did the creeping line ahead attack (in green bags as I heard it) to sink their teeth into a young lass's bum only to find out the next day that she was an MP's daughter..?

BEagle
25th Aug 2011, 17:18
Mini thread drift...but does anyone remember the (bit dodgy )waiter in the OM who also sold shoes back in the 70's and 80's.

It was George - "Please, sir, sit here sir, yes please. All officers' food tonight excellent, sirs!"

He did behave a little light in the loafers, as you say!

Kitsune, there was indeed a serial bum-biter on 101 who got himself deeply in the guano after biting the bottom of a young OTC lass at ASI. Then went to Virgin where he wasn't terribly popular with the hosties, I gather.....

MrBernoulli
25th Aug 2011, 17:44
"Good eevning Sir! Welcome Offeesairs Mess, Ruff Akrotiri! You like nice Greek toss salad?"

Yes, that was George alright!

Fox3WheresMyBanana
25th Aug 2011, 18:01
Tip top, number 1 Officer Mess.
Welcome, the Officers!

Good old George.

BBadanov
25th Aug 2011, 20:20
After the meal at Chris' or downtown Limassol, saying to the staff:
"O filos mu tha plirossi" ["my friend will pay"]
...and doing a runner :rolleyes: