PDA

View Full Version : Veiwing areas..Lakenheath-Mildenhall

magpienja
11th Jul 2010, 07:54
Hi all, a part of the country I have never been to...the Mildenhall area, I am down that way this week with my wife between Kings Lynn and Cambridge,

I wonder are there any good viewing areas to watch any of the coming and going in these areas where I wont get arrested.

Nick.

Cahlibahn
11th Jul 2010, 09:10
For Mildenhall you can't go far wrong at John's field The Nook Campsite (http://www.thenookcampsite.co.uk/) also have a look at http://www.pb-photos.com/Images/Aviation/New%20Mildenhall/Mildenhall.pdf

As far as Lakenheath is concerned have a look at the thunder-and-lightnings website (sorry, couldn't add this as a hyperlink)

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
11th Jul 2010, 09:55
I can't offer a great deal of help as it is sometime since I was there. However, there is/was a viewing area for Lakenheath ar 52 25.192N 000 34.854W (WGS84), just off the A1065 in the NE corner of the airfield. It is/was a good spot for photography of landing or take-off but no good for seeing the rest of the field, which was difficult anyway.

Oh for those far off, less security-mad days, in 1965 when I drove into Mildenhall with my Hillman Minx full of spotters.... right up to the hangar holding the Blue Angels C-54 (91996) and a friendly USAF airman showed us round!

magpienja
11th Jul 2010, 12:55
All noted guys many thanks....if you only had time to visit one airfield which one would you go for, never seen a Globemaster like to...where do they operate out of.

Nick.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
11th Jul 2010, 13:39
Mildenhall... but then I'm not a jet fighter freak!

magpienja
11th Jul 2010, 14:12
Cahlibahn that campsite looks the place to be and the map is very useful many thank,

I see the comms freq are listed with many VHF as well as UHF freqs, my handheld scanner only covers VHF I did not really think it would be much use at a military field but looks like I was wrong.

Nick.

JEM60
11th Jul 2010, 21:28
I seem to remember someone saying that the F.15s' are operating out of Mildenhall at the moment, as Lakenheath's runway is being resurfaced. Don't know how accurate my info is on that one. By the By, was having breakfast on my patio at 6.45 am prior to going to Duxford yesterday, heard a jet noise, looked up, and there was a B1B drifting past my bungalow at 1500 feet in the Mildenhall circuit. A good start to my day!!.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
12th Jul 2010, 08:26
<<B1B drifting past my bungalow at 1500 feet in the Mildenhall circuit. A good start to my day!!.>>

OMG..... you lucky blighter. Do they visit often? Still, I did have a Cherokee from Blackbushe over here yesterday!!

Big Eric
12th Jul 2010, 09:26
Lakenheath is now back to normal so there's no F-15s at Mildenhall and the B1 yesterday was departing after it's tanker went U/S on Friday night.

JEM60
12th Jul 2010, 15:08
HD. No, not very regular. I don't 'spot' but have only seen 5 in the local area in the six years I have been in this vicinity.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
12th Jul 2010, 16:18
OK, thanks JEM.

GK430
13th Jul 2010, 08:27
I thought that the Alaskan Raptors bound for RIAT were due in to L'heath soon?

Big Eric
13th Jul 2010, 09:55
4 Raptors arrived yesterday evening and 3 will go to Fairford on Thursday morning.They're in the UK for a couple of weeks.