PDA

View Full Version : SACAA workers to down tools

Bingos
9th Jul 2010, 17:55
SACAA workers to down tools

2010-07-09 18:46

Johannesburg - About 200 workers at the SA Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) will go on strike on Friday afternoon over wages after management and union Satawu failed to reach an agreement.

Because the notice of intention to strike was served on Wednesday at 17:30, workers could only walk off the job from 17:30 on Friday, said SA Transport and Allied Workers Union (Satawu) spokesperson Kenneth Monnana.

"Practically the strike will take effect only from Monday as per 48-hour requirement and all our members will participate."

Talks between the union and management deadlocked over management's offer of an across-the-board 9% salary increase, as opposed to the 14% the union wanted. After the union rejected the proposal, the company reverted to its previous offer of 7%.

'Management on another planet'

Satawu said the 9% offer was unacceptable because it would require the union to waive future wage negotiations in favour of an exclusively performance-related system of wage increases.

"Management lives on another planet if they think Satawu would entertain such a sell-out of its members' rights.

"They must drop their arrogant stance and put an acceptable offer on the table."

Following a conciliation process on July 2, a certificate of non-resolution was issued. A meeting on Thursday afternoon, which the CAA had hoped would avert the strike, proved fruitless.

The aviation regulator's spokesperson Kabelo Ledwaba said in a statement that throughout the negotiation process, management had been applying the principle of fairness and that it remained open to talks that could bring an amicable, speedy resolution to the impasse.

Critical role

He said only 186 of the CAA's 433 employees would go on strike, the majority of which were support staff.

The CAA had put in places plans to avoid delays caused by the stoppage, said Ledwaba.

Satawu said the strike would affect services like the printing of licences, certificates and related documents. Inspections and accident investigations would also be affected.

"The inspectors play a critical role in the investigation of aviation incidents and accidents.

"A protracted strike has the potential to disrupt the aviation industry, particularly in the event of any aviation incident or accident."

The no-work, no-pay principle would apply.

- SAPA
SACAA workers to down tools: News24: South Africa: News (http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/SACAA-workers-to-down-tools-20100709)

superserong
11th Jul 2010, 13:56
Strange...after more than a decade of dealing with them, this is the first I've heard of any WORKERS at CAA...:}

NOTOT
11th Jul 2010, 14:27
Sad But True, things were allot better and more efficient with the old Burger Lugvaart when they were in pRoes str, and to think a licence renewal cost R16.50 with a waiting time of 20 minutes. These day it seems that "the more u pay, the longer u wait!!!". Makes my heartburn bubble up!:ugh::confused:

cavortingcheetah
11th Jul 2010, 14:28
Only ten years of the jolly old CAA at Waterfalls? You should have come along to the old place in uptown Pretoria. The catacombs under Rome have more life in them than that place ever had. Light relief during the hours of waiting could be had by walking up to the Transport Museum and watching a cold and stationary steam engine for a few hours.

Africanair
12th Jul 2010, 08:09
Well all this means is a 14% increase in our fees to Conspiracy Against Aviation:ugh:

Goffel
12th Jul 2010, 08:20
most people are resigning from the union as they dont believe in the strike.

Union very pissed off

unstable load
13th Jul 2010, 13:50
Something suspicious with quasi government wekkahs quitting a good reason not to work........:sad:

GULF69
15th Jul 2010, 11:57
they would have to pick up the tools before they can "down them"...:ugh::ugh:

Contract Dog
15th Jul 2010, 12:45
CavortingC, welcome back, its been ages since I have spotted your spoor in the dark halls of the African Aviation threads.

As an end user of a product that SACAA provides to me (at a cost) making me the client, I would want to see my money being spent in a manner that is cost effective to me and fare to the staff of the CAA. This means performence based pay as far as I am concerned. The following statement, in my mind, proves the lack of interest from the union in providing its customer with the best service, and proves that those going on strike clearly have the attitude of maximum money for minimum work and zero accountability for their actions and the way that my hard earned money is spent there. I would fire the lot of them if it were up to me, but as the paying client, it isnt up to me, is it!!!!

Management lives on another planet if they think Satawu would entertain such a sell-out of its members' rights.

"They must drop their arrogant stance and put an acceptable offer on the table

Why dont you drop your arrogant stance and put some F...ing work on the table?

Dog

cavortingcheetah
15th Jul 2010, 13:39
Thanks Contract Dog.
I am delighted to see that you're still about too, running rings of righteous wrath around the plains dwellers whose furry little ankles are most definitely in need of a nipping.
Go well.