PDA

View Full Version : Fire fighting pilots?

Dromader
9th Jul 2010, 11:43
Because of the global warming fire fighting in Euope is booming and it's hard to find experienced fire fighter- or even tailwheel pilots. I would be very interested in setting up something like an exchange for European and Australian fire fighting pilots. Few months Europe (Australian winter) and a few months downunder every year. I know it will not be that easy validating licenses and getting companies interested but who knows... Anyone interested? Any suggestions?

airag
9th Jul 2010, 12:34
You will find there already exists a few Ag' operators who ferry aircraft and crews to Europe for their summer season and return for the Southern fires.

Quite a few individual pilots also do the same , both to Europe and the States.

Feel free to pm with an offer ... 802s only' tho' !

Dromader
10th Jul 2010, 10:54
802's for sure, don't have yourself mislead by my name.
The only operator I know of ferrying a/c to Europe (Portugal) is Nev Dunn and he only did so twice, ended up just to expensive. The idea now is to put airframes without turbines in both countries and shipping the engines for the season which would reduce the ferry costs with about 90%... :hmm: And individual Australian fire fighting pilots working in Europe? Never met one so I don't really know but sure would lik to meet one.

At this point I'm not looking for pilots I can pm with an offer when everything is sorted out but for couterparts downunder to sort out the way down there while I do the same in Europe. I'm talking about individual pilots (not companies) and looking for information. Problem in my opinion will be legislation (licenses and work permits) and language as I don't think a lot of Aussies are fluent in Italian, Spanish or Greek.... Nevertheless worth the try though.

Super Cecil
10th Jul 2010, 11:20
So what your really after is a seat in OZ during the summer? :8

Dromader
13th Jul 2010, 10:22
The "nerd icon" fits you...
Indeed always looking for a seat like most of us and Australia would be a new experience. But I'm offering something in exchange as I'm pretty sure there will be Aussie pilots around that suits a winter job in Europe.

maxspeed
13th Jul 2010, 11:08
Also you may want to consider the timing of the seasons, fires can start as early as August in Australia( typically northern inland NSW) and I have seen first hand the fire season in europe still in full swing come end of September.....

Jabawocky
13th Jul 2010, 12:14
Anyone interested? Any suggestions?

Do your homework mate! Global warming my ar$e :=

Bush fires have been happening for centuries.....and the AGW thing is wearing thin, even in Europe.

You better find a better excuse for trying to get tag team fire fighting gigs.

maxspeed
14th Jul 2010, 17:39
Dromader prehaps you could shed some light on what a SEAT pilot could expect to earn in Europe, I understand it can vary between companies and situations but I am having a guess you work for one of the the bigger companies Avialsa or FAASA? I'm sure that they would be a good benchmark.

Dromader
14th Jul 2010, 20:35
Correct, I work for one of these bigger companies. What you would earn in Europe depends a few factors; the operator you fly for, the type of contract (fixed 12 months or seasonal) the country you fly in and the type of a/c you fly (on the Fire Boss you make the best money). In the high season you'll typically make somewhere in between 300 and 400€ a day. One of the bigger problems as I see it in Europe is the "extinction" of the Dromader, which was used as a step towards the AT802. AG flying is made almost impossible by the EU and there's a huge lack of experienced and qualified tailwheel pilots.

Engineer_aus
16th Jul 2010, 05:37
Didn't Col Pay send some of his 802's to Europe/Portugal?