PDA

View Full Version : RAF Tornado joins Northumberland manhunt

XV490
9th Jul 2010, 06:33
An "860 mph" Tonka GR4 is reported (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3047313/Tornado-jet-called-in-for-Raoul-Moat-search.html) to have joined the hunt for Raoul Moat last night.

Anyone know anything more?

Tashengurt
9th Jul 2010, 07:06
Chief constable told us RAF assets were being used but not a GR4.

NutLoose
9th Jul 2010, 07:09
Cool with all these aerial assets looking for him, we will have him in no time....... How is Bin Laden BTW??

The Chief Constable wants to get them to look for a decent hairdresser for herself :p

XV490
9th Jul 2010, 07:24
I thought that was a variation on a Mk 1 bonedome (extra padding version).

charliegolf
9th Jul 2010, 08:00
Aerial assets all well and good- but if he's holding hostages in an 'in-use' house, no spy in the sky's going to be much use is it?

CG

vecvechookattack
9th Jul 2010, 08:11
They could use "through wall radar".....have they tried that?

forget
9th Jul 2010, 08:17
airpolice, Cracker - in ten years on Prune this is my first :D for a joke. :p

chopper2004
9th Jul 2010, 08:26
Does the Sun think Moat has literally taken off and flown the coop and they don';t mean the GR4 Tonkas after him but the F.3 as depicted to shoot him down with AMRAAM or ASRAAM??!! :ugh: :ok::E:sad:

XV490
9th Jul 2010, 09:14
Sky confirming that MoD has agreed to offer 'air assistance'....

How will that work, using a GR4? Will images be transmitted back in raoultime? :oh:

Evanelpus
9th Jul 2010, 09:19
She's the Temp Chief Constable, obviously because it is so diffcult to get a Perm in the North East! (boom boom)

She is one scary looking woman!

XV490
9th Jul 2010, 09:37
Perhaps the Air Assitance is that the RAF & Army will stay away and give the ASU complete use of the air, and save the MOD some money.

Even cheaper if the ASU team took their IR kit aboard the Sky and BBC 'copters with their seemingly endless fuel supply.

NDW
9th Jul 2010, 09:49
Who on earth will they send next.

First S.A.S, now RAF, Navy next?

In my opinion, it is beginning to get abit out of hand.
Don't get me wrong they need to get him but all this extra support.

Silly

XV490
9th Jul 2010, 09:56
Why don't the ASU take the BBC and Sky people on the Police helicopter?

Stuck in a chopper with people from Sky (http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/any-chance-you-could-do-kay-burley?-rothbury-asks-armed-police-201007072887/)?

XV490
9th Jul 2010, 10:09
First S.A.S, now RAF, Navy next?

Yep - their SMS team (Special Moat Squadron) :oh:

orgASMic
9th Jul 2010, 11:05
When the Northumberland plod catch Moat after a stretch of living rough, will Sir Alan Beith (MP for Berwick upon Tweed) submit a dodgy expenses claim to have him cleaned?

Wycombe
9th Jul 2010, 11:55
If the Navy are to get involved it would be to provide a marching band when the cops lead him out of Rothbury.

.....or a Cockers P so when this villain is caught all the assembled chasers can celebrate :rolleyes:

BlackIsle
9th Jul 2010, 12:27
if the Navy are to get involved......

that would be to give Moat an i-pod to assist his human rights...

diginagain
9th Jul 2010, 12:37
The solution seems obvious - drive him west onto Otterburn Training Area. A couple of weeks on OTA and he'll either turn himself in or top himself.

Bristol
9th Jul 2010, 14:20
How can somebody in a PR job appear that way, surely her boss should arrange for some hairdresser expense!

Bristol
9th Jul 2010, 14:22
yes they will celebrate on taxpayers' money!

jEtGuiDeR
9th Jul 2010, 14:30
Northumbria Police have said that if the killer isn't caught by tomorrow night, they'll increase the reward to £20,000. It's a Raoul over :)

stbd beam
9th Jul 2010, 15:43
Well, unlike Ashley Cole, at least Mr Moat is still messing around in the Geordie bush ....

Bo Nalls
9th Jul 2010, 15:59
http://www.facebook.com/profile/pic.php?uid=AAAAAQAQ9van2YJNb6LsqtR-Z2cEYQAAAAp8MKtN-Wa551JoJqEkD3VE http://www.dailysquib.co.uk/tpllib/img.php?im=cat_117/2363.jpg&w=240&h=247

Acting Chief Constable .........................Lady Tottington
Sue Sim

RumPunch
9th Jul 2010, 16:04
PMSL BO :D:E

Just discussing this at work today, and would a Nimrod MR2 be an ideal asset to have airbourne over Northumberland now. With a Wescam and a few guys down the back with radio contact with the Police. I dont know if anything else we have maybe King Air to do some work like that. Somebody says the UAV things but I not sure if they cleared to fly over the UK.

Night time sortie, Wescam infra red on a certain area would be ideal I would have thought , Aircrew im sure will give me a better answer :ok:

Neptunus Rex
9th Jul 2010, 16:07
Brilliant, Bo.
One of them looks like she has just had a good seein' to!

Finnpog
9th Jul 2010, 16:12
Yep - their SMS team (Special Moat Squadron)

That's not RaoulMoatly funny.:E:ok:

Guzlin Adnams
9th Jul 2010, 16:36
Text:
Dear Mr Moat, John Terry's been givin your Mrs a good seeing too,
Have a nice day, Wayne Bridge.
:E

Cows getting bigger
9th Jul 2010, 16:40
I can think of more appropriate military assets than a GR4 with, presumably, a Raptor pod.

Maybe they should offer him a one-on-one with the Perma-Queen. :)

air pig
9th Jul 2010, 17:06
Where's a Canberra when you need it?

fincastle84
9th Jul 2010, 17:16
Totally agree, let's get a Nimrod up there. It can loiter right through the night & sanitise the area.:ok: 'Nihil nos effugit' for our ex 206 readers.

Oh b*gger, I forgot, Gordon scrapped them.:ugh:

OHP 15M
9th Jul 2010, 17:49
I don't know, all this fuss just because a Spanish footballer has a water-filled ditch around his property? :ok:

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:MFgTWjnPajJx_M:http://www.footiewallpapers.com/pic_upload/Raul-wallpaper-27-1024x768.jpg (http://www.footiewallpapers.com/pic_upload/Raul-wallpaper-27-1024x768.jpg) http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:IdhjLBMQpdD1NM:http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/00/12/b2/18/moat-at-ft-pulaski.jpg (http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/00/12/b2/18/moat-at-ft-pulaski.jpg)

minigundiplomat
9th Jul 2010, 18:55
http://www.dailysquib.co.uk/tpllib/img.php?im=cat_117/2363.jpg&w=240&h=247

Face for radio.

Donna K Babbs
9th Jul 2010, 19:12
The sooner they get the MRA4 into service the better. This would be a perfect job for the platform - night and day (and with its improved endurance it would be even better than the MR2).

Easy Street
9th Jul 2010, 20:55
I can think of more appropriate military assets than a GR4 with, presumably, a Raptor pod.

So can I - including a GR4 with a Litening pod (the imagery can be assessed in real time either in-cockpit or via ROVER). Perfect for sweeping a rural perimeter in IR and visible, leaving the ASU to search built-up areas from closer range. A Reaper would also be nice if the CAA would allow it.

Seems like the police have found him!

Paracab
9th Jul 2010, 21:50
Rest easy Gentleman, no further RAF assets are required: Gazza has turned up at the police cordon, claiming him to be Moat's mate. Lucky its Gazza; for anyone else such an act would be career suicide.

mystic_meg
9th Jul 2010, 22:56
http://www.dailysquib.co.uk/tpllib/img.php?im=cat_117/2363.jpg&w=240&h=247

Isn't she Marty Feldman's sister? Or maybe it's the man himself in drag? I mean... look at her/his right eye, dead giveaway! :E

NURSE
10th Jul 2010, 07:36
I wonder who else was deployed to help with the search? sugest some other air and ground assets were putting expertise to use.

NURSE
10th Jul 2010, 07:38
or those nice modified king airs no one talks about!

fincastle84
10th Jul 2010, 15:59
Don't forget the Dornier 228!

sycamore
10th Jul 2010, 16:23
I would think there will be a lot of `sloping-shoulders` and pack-shuffling in the upper echelons of the Police going on now ,as a few careers are also going to go down the culvert !

Send for Dirty Harry next time ....

the_flying_cop
10th Jul 2010, 16:28
what makes you say that sycamore?

air pig
10th Jul 2010, 17:58
Reported use of tazer, shock involutary muscle contraction on trigger finger = bang and a total headache cure. If a tazer was used and he did pull the trigger, is that manslaughter?

glad rag
10th Jul 2010, 18:12
Doubt it.
Probably find that that particular scenario was never part of the original home office trials. Lessons will be learnt , no doubt, and guidelines adjusted..........:hmm:

NutLoose
10th Jul 2010, 18:50
Didn't the Chief Constable test this theory using a shotgun loaded with blanks, hence the hair ?

Sad that someone had to die, but if it saved one other life it was justified.

Don't forget the Dornier 228!

Didn't that lose its contract??

air pig
10th Jul 2010, 19:05
That all depends on the coroner and their jury, some smart lawyer may start digging around. We know electric shock causes involutary muscle contraction because take hold of a live wire you tend to grip the wire and not release that grip, so therefore it could be seen as reasonable that this may have happened in this instance. Electricians tend to use the back of their hand when unsure.

I suspect lessons 'will be learnt' blah blah blah. Plod and even HMG may have been in serious error if this proves to be the case. I feel a claim coming on.

I'm not anti police but just look at the pictures all around the media of the officer holding a tazer, not even looking in the right direction but at the camera with a stupid look on his face and they call that 'professional' I doubt it, wouldn't let him have a water pistol.

OHP 15M
10th Jul 2010, 19:45
Exhibit 1: Found by police near a tunnel in Rothbury :E
http://i.imgur.com/k8Fto.png

the_flying_cop
10th Jul 2010, 21:23
air pig,

im not defending the officer here. and yes it is a pretty dreadful picture. but i do think that the media have selected this image to add some drama and spice.

the problem with a still image, as i am no doubt you are aware, is that it is just one frame. there is nothing to suggest what this officer was trying to do at the time. the photographer could have been making a noise, or inadvertently drawing attention to himself and the police in that area. the officer in question could have been trying to warn the photographer to get down, move away, etc, and just have been photographed mid warning.

i know there are way too many bad photos of me pulling ridiculous faces whilst mid conversation.

but it goes back to the photoshopped image of the swat team types aiming a weapon at a couple of old dears, you can get an image to fit pretty much anything you want it to.

2p over.

air pig
11th Jul 2010, 11:36
Indeed that is very true, but surely you would have had a cordon around the area, but then again the press are devious little sh1ts when trying for a story.

Tashengurt
11th Jul 2010, 12:11
I don't see any problem with the picture. It captures a split second. For all we know the officer was shouting "Fetch me daffodils." Though I suspect it was a shorter phrase.
They were dealing with a developing situation with an armed person who had shown he was willing to kill and was surrounded by others with arms. This isn't a situation that brooks discussion and debate.

barnstormer1968
11th Jul 2010, 20:09
The officer may have been asking for daffodils, or saying something shorter BUT there are two officers looking at the camera (the one standing too), so you have two blokes not looking where they are aiming, but with their fingers still on the triggers!

As for the manslaughter debate, that would be a hard situation to get to IMHO(as Moat was mostly laid down), bearing in mind what tazer actually has to do once it strikes the target to actually give the shock.

STANDTO
11th Jul 2010, 20:50
Can I suggest - as an industry professional, that in the time honoured tradition, we wait for the equivalent of the BOI/ AAIB report before we start the rumour and conjecture?

I am a qualified and operational FIC, and will await with interest to see what the IPCC finds. It was a tragic outcome on a number of levels, and there will be lessons learned from day one.

Lets just back off and see what transpires.

vecvechookattack
11th Jul 2010, 21:04
Whats a FIC ?

AllTrimDoubt
11th Jul 2010, 21:05
Look, he was a villain surrounded by Armed Basta*ds.

End of.

Bring back Gene Hunt!

barnstormer1968
11th Jul 2010, 21:29
I would kind of agree with waiting for any enquiry to find a verdict, but then IMHO the IPCC does not have the scope to deal with all of the circumstances leading to the outcome of this. I think this would benefit from a more holistic dept doing the enquiry, as this whole episode is likely to have begun long before the first shot was fired IMHO, unless of course the IPCC have control over the prison service or any medical professionals or social services involved in this case!

NutLoose
12th Jul 2010, 01:50
See she was getting all coy with answering the press questions after it had ended, not exactly leaving her in a good light standing within camera shot and refusing to play ball...... all one could see was her hair above the wall....

SOSL
12th Jul 2010, 04:08
Maybe the Coroner's Inquest?

irc1804
12th Jul 2010, 05:58
FIC - Firearms Incident Commander

vecvechookattack
12th Jul 2010, 07:58
Thanks for that. Its a shame there wasn't a firearms Incident Officer at this incident. It may have ended more peacefully and then the Police would have been able to discover who killed Chris Brown

STANDTO
12th Jul 2010, 21:11
There would have been one. There always is.