PDA

View Full Version : Lightning cracks Easyjet windshield

Algy
8th Jul 2010, 22:35
Quite hairy stuff actually, and a huge thanks to the crew for getting us down at a very rough Madrid. Photo and story here. (http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/unusual-attitude/2010/07/easyjet-airbus-a319-loses-wind.html)

Mr Optimistic
10th Jul 2010, 11:56
was there any hail flown through ?

Algy
12th Jul 2010, 09:57
...no ...quite unusual conditions with no precipitation around us or even at the airport at all, but hot and humid with Cb close by. And then this very sudden and strong wind.

Carvair66
12th Jul 2010, 11:54
Some interesting comments on that blog about Easyjet groundstaff. My daughter and her friends' flight Bristol-Ibiza on Saturday 6pm cancelled at short notice (told that member of crew ill) and eventually they managed to book on a Thomson flight 12 hours later. It was not the only Easyjet flight disruption over the weekend, I gather.

She was given £6 by Easyjet agents (Menzies) to last her through the night so I drove up to the airport with food and drinks. Made a point of speaking to Menzies staff to ask about compensation under EU regs. Horrified to realise that although they had A4 info sheets available, they had not read them themselves and did not understand them.

At no point did they tell PAX that they might be entitled to compensation - and in fact told me that my daughter would not be eligible because 'they do not cover cancellations'. Put the woman right on that point - to which she replied that it still did not apply because their was an exemption for 'unexpected flight safety shortcomings' and that being short of crew would be covered by that.

Does anyone believe that failing to staff the operation properly would allow them to wriggle out of that obligation?

It didn't end there, though. Another Easyjet flight from Split was six hours late, stranding a Norwegian lad aged 19, who missed his Ryanir flight on to Marrakesh. The Menzies people advised him to get a bus into Bristol and then get a bus or train to Luton for a 6am flight next morning. They did not offer to find out timetables or costs although the boy did not have a clue how to get to Luton on his own. He also had somehow to rebook a Ryanair flight at a cost of £160, check in online and print off his boarding card.

Realising that there was another parent in Norway also worrying about their child, I decided to take him home to do all this, rush him to Bristol Parkway station to get a train explaining how to get through London to Luton - and gave him £5 for a coffee. Nice lad, excellent English sent me a thankyou text today.

The Menzies/Easyjet people were not at all interested in hearing my observations on their shortcomings - but they had to listen to them all the same. This link suggests that the customer service (sorry, 'EasyJet Customer Experience') problems are endemic.
TONY HETHERINGTON: EasyJet | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/article-1286080/TONY-HETHERINGTON-EasyJet.html)

PaperTiger
12th Jul 2010, 13:55
Was the Lightning damaged ? :}

ExXB
12th Jul 2010, 17:06
Carvair 66.

EU Regulation 261/2004 isn't that complicated but it is effectively divided into two different bits.

1. In the event of a cancellation, or a long delay, the airline (including their handling agent) MUST provide 'care'. Care is food and beverages in relation to the delay; hotel if appropriate and transfers to/from the airport.

2. Cash compensation for a cancellation under some circumstances, which can be waived due to 'extraordinary circumstances. (The ECJ has 'extended this to long delays, in some circumstances ... but lets not go there today)

I'm not going to debate if the situation warranted a waiver of the cash compensation, but nothing waives the provision of care. They have no choice, they must provide this in all cases. If I were you I would send a written complaint to Squeezy asking why their handling agents were unaware of the Regulations provisions, and why they did not provide the care that they were required to (in all cases). If you get no jolly, contact the Airport User's council (www.auc.org.uk) who are the UK's National Enforcement Body.

Carvair66
12th Jul 2010, 17:23
ExXB

Many thanks for your informative post. Reading a few threads on this board since Saturday I am now crossing my fingers that my daughter (17) will actually make it home next weekend.